2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 941 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Teams draft for talent more than need. If the pitcher scores higher, they probably would not take the lower-ranked outfielder instead.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have seen Cole Wilcox pitch in person and he throws with a lot of velocity but his control is sometimes off.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian do you like Crow-Armstrong? He is a Vanderbilt Guy from the West Coast. I think teams draft first for need if several players are rated even by the scouts. I imagine the 4 players that I listed are pretty close in how the Cardinal scouts view them. It often comes down to which area scout convinces Flores to take. I know this happened in the case of Trejyn Fletcher because the area scout told me it did.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have always drafted the best player available until they get to the later rounds, when they draft by position to fill out lower level rosters. I think with a shortened draft, they’ll draft right away for need.

Participant

Free

Well, what the Cardinals need are middle infielders…

Of the four listed, I would go with Cole Wilcox…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I don’t have any feeling on which RH pitcher the Cardinals like best. I have never seen the Oklahoma pitcher but between CM and Wilcox IMO CM is the more polished pitcher. Crow-Armstrong may be too talented to pass on.

Participant

Free

Let’s see:

Wilcox: 1.57 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, 32K, 2 BB
    Mlodzinski: 2.84 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 22k, 8 BB

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mlodzinski is going to get drafted off being the best pitcher in Cape Cod last summer. He broke his foot in 2019 and this season only had 4 starts. Wilcox isn’t even Georgia’s top pitching prospect…Emerson Hancock is and his ERA was .375. So using 3 or 4 starts in 2020 is no way an indicator of how the draft will go.

Participant

Paid - Annual

SP –

Flaherty
    Hudson
    Martinez
    Mikolas
    Kim
    Gant
    Gomber
    Helsley
    Fernandez
    Reyes
    Cabrera
    Woodford
    Thompson
    Liberatore
    Oviedo
    Rondon
    Roberts
    Pallante
    Locey

OF –

Fowler
    Bader
    O’Neill
    Carlson
    Thomas
    Williams
    Torres

Middle IF –

DeJong
    Wong
    Edman
    Sosa
    Robertson

Key to the draft?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

My guess is that for St. Louis to get a middle inf. it will be with their 2nd pick at #54.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With all those talented pitchers, and the need for pitching by so many other teams, you’d think the Cardinals could make a trade for just about any need they have. But the only time I can think of that they traded pitching for a position player was the trade of Marco Gonzales for Tyler O’Neill. Gonzales pitched 203 innings for Seattle in 2019. The Cardinals are still waiting for O’Neill to win a spot on their major league roster.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville wrote:

But the only time I can think of that they traded pitching for a position player was the trade of Marco Gonzales for Tyler O’Neill.

Lotsa examples.

Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins for Jason Heyward
    Sandy Alcantara, Zac Gallen and others for Marcell Ozuna
    Luke Weaver and others for Paul Goldschmidt

That is an entire big league rotation right there.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Also, Scouts like Mlodzinski because: 1. He doesn’t have a lot of innings on his arm 2. He achieved his greatest success in the Cape against wooden bats.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What typical percentage of draftees are college and high schoolers? And college seniors?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, it seems that this draft will be more projection based than ever. And there will be many, many non drafted free agents. Given the Cardinals success in later rounds, might that give them an advantage? What about future drafts? More kids staying in school could strengthen the 2021 thru 2023 drafts.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Forgot to add Siejas to the pitchers list.

As one poster said, the minor league
    cupboard is just about bare for middle infielders. Does anyone have a middle infield prospect they’re excited about?

As far as outfield prospects, are there any prospects below AAA that anyone is excited about besides Torres and the long shot Fletcher?

Participant

Paid - Annual

27 –

Last year, 51 of 78 (65.4%) first day signed draftees were college players.
    In the entire draft over the past 5 years, 75-78% have been players from 4 year colleges.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not many high-quality free agents because of the $20,000 limit.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

9. Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Harvard-Westlake (HS)
    If Harvard-Westlake’s name sounds familiar, that’s because it’s the same school that has produced Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, and Max Fried. If Crow-Armstrong’s name sounds familiar, that’s because his parents are both actors (Ashley Crow and Matthew Armstrong) and he’s the same outfielder who made a terrific grab during the Under-18 Baseball World Cup. He could be an impact-level defender in center thanks to his range, arm, and all-out demeanor. He isn’t expected to be a zero at the plate, either, thanks to a contact-tailored swing that could make him a leadoff type. Crow-Armstrong may be a Vanderbilt commit, but he seems unlikely to ever caw on campus.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have generally been woeful with the results of their highly drafted high school position players. Carlson is a noted exception. Probably better they pick highly talented middle infielders and outfielders from the college ranks in their first few picks.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I don’t think you pass on Crow-Armstrong.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

The Cards have generally been woeful with the results of their highly drafted high school position players. Carlson is a noted exception.

Nolan Gorman wonders why you don’t respect him? 😉

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I will ask again, Brian what do you think about Crow-Armstrong being the Cardinals 1st Rd. pick?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I missed the question the first time. I had noted earlier in this discussion that because of the inherent uncertainty and low probability than any given player becomes a Cardinal, I do not invest a lot of time looking into players pre-draft. While I am familiar with Crow-Armstrong, I don’t have a feel for where I would draft him.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

He is based on most of the Mock Drafts going to be picked somewhere around the Cardinals spot at # 21. It appears it may be him or a college pitcher.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 941 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years