2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 941 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scouting report says Cavelli –

“Doesn’t have much track record of staying healthy or throwing strikes. His lack of command and deception also means that his premium stuff gets hit harder than it should.”

Participant

Paid - Monthly

You cherry-picked what the report said. Here is some of the rest…Cavalli produces some of the easiest velocity in his Draft class, working at 92-96 mph and topping out at 98 with riding action while expending barely more effort than he would playing catch. He also can make hitters look bad with a low-80s curveball with power and depth, and he has developed an upper-80s slider/cutter that is catching up to his curve. He shows the potential for an average changeup once he starts using the pitch more often.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s not a cheery pick, GC. It’s simply quoting part of the report that is concerning.

Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks for the link GC.
    actually that’s the same list where I got Foscue being #32.

He is about 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier than Wong but that still is “smallish”.
    If I’m drafting a smallish 2b he’d better be fast
    He is not. 40 rating for speed.

A) this draft is heavy on quality college starting pitching
    B) that fits hand and glove with what the Cards like to do more often than not.

So…..it would surprise me if a college starting pitcher were not picked….UNLESS….someone “falls to them”.

JMO

Participant

Paid - Annual

sooner or later Brian will chime in (hopefully).

Brian, do you or one of your writers do a mock?
    If so, how many and when?

🙂

thanks.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Foscue is 6’, 203 lbs. His sophomore year at Mississippi State he slashed
    .331/.395/.564 with 14 home runs and 22 doubles in only 67 games. It’s said that he and Jordan Westburg formed the #1 double play combination in college baseball.

Participant

Paid - Annual

so…bccran…is Foscue your choice if you had a choice?

Participant

Paid - Annual

No, David, my choice would be Crochet if he drops to us.

Participant

Paid - Annual

well, that would be great
    really would

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Jordan Walker might fall to #54.
    That would be nice.
    Tough sign though is what I read.

Participant

Paid - Annual

LOL
    GameCard, bccran and me.
    where is everyone else?
    where is BlackHillsCard who started the thread?
    I know from another forum that BHC knows his stuff.
    chime in folks.
    (or not)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

So you think Walker may go to Duke if he is a 2nd Rd pick? If he gets pick and doesn’t sign that is a poor job by the scout. They usually don’t choose a player unless they get a yes to signing.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think there are probably 2 or 3 position players or HS arms they would pull the trigger on, otherwise I think they look to one of the college pitchers. My personal favorites are Garrett Crochet and Max Meyer, but both would have to slide to get to #21. Crochet’s “injury” history might scare a few teams off, but I’m a little less worried just hearing his coaches comments from this fall/spring (I’m a TN fan so I keep up with them as much as I can.) I’ve seen one mock where Meyer falls to them and I think the Cards would snap him up quickly if that were the case. Otherwise just depends on how they feel about guys like Garrett Mitchell, Robert Hassell, Austin Hendrick, Ed Howard, Tyler Soderstrom or Nick Bitsko if they were to fall to them. I think the Foscue stuff comes from people thinking the Cards are thin on upper level middle infielders and the belief that the draft is heavy enough on college pitching to wait until 54 to get a guy who is not a huge step down from what you would get at 21. I think that is a reasonable argument, but given their draft history I’d have to believe they go pitcher unless, as previously stated, someone they really like falls to them. I don’t see Soderstrom as the type they would draft this highly, but people really like his bat, and think it’ll play anywhere on the field (I don’t think he’s a catcher). Foscue is a good bat with some versatility, not just 2B. Here are some names I like at each pick (I went through the Top Prospects from MLB, Fangraphs, and Baseball America and picked my favorite guys plus or minus about 10 from each draft spot from their rankings).
    1-21 – Hassell OF, Mitchell OF, Meyer RHP, Crochet LHP, Hendrick OF, Bitsko RHP, Howard SS, Cavelli RHP, Mlodzinski RHP, Wilcox RHP
    2-54 – CJ Van Eyk RHP, Jake Eder LHP, JT, Ginn, RHP, CLayton Beeter RHP, Parker Chavers OF, Cayden Wallace 3B, Yohandy Morales 3B
    2-63 – See above (one of the picks 54, 63 & 70 is a good spot for a value pick)
    2-70 – (Value Picks) Landon Knack RHP, Ian Bedell RHP, Alerick Soulaire OF, Luke Little LHP, Zavier Warren SS/UT,
    3-93 – (This is where I think they try to go over slot) Blaze Jordan 3B/1B, Milan Tolentino SS, AJ Vukovich 3B, Drew Romo C, Enrique Bradfield OF, Seth Lonsway LHP, Dylan Crews OF, Ryan Hagenow RHP
    4-123 – Hayden Cantrell SS, Dane Acker RHP, Kevin Abel RHP, Jackson Leath RHP, Tyler Brown RHP
    5-153 – Jake Leftwich RHP, Shane Drohan LHP, Hugh Fisher LHP, Tim Tawa SS, Luke Waddell 2B, Elijah Cabell OF, Dalton Fowler LHP

Participant

Paid - Annual

grenadier1, thanks so much

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Grenadier…nice evaluation of all the rounds. This could be a good draft for the Cardinals with 7 picks in 5 rds.

Participant

Paid - Annual

new mock

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020-mlb-mock-draft-tigers-hold-steady-at-no-1-high-school-outfielder-jumps-into-top-five/

Ed Howard, with Cavalli still on the board

whew

Participant

Paid - Monthly

If it isn’t a pitcher then Howard is the one I want.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Foscue over Howard. Howard is a smooth defensive high school shortstop, but he’s never faced decent pitching. As they say in his scouting reports, his bat is behind his glove at this point. Similar to Delvin Perez when we drafted him. Our MI needs are much shorter range.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d be happy with 6 foot 5 inchers Cole Wilcox or Bobby Miller. I always like tall Ps and both have very good heat.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have no interest in Foscue…he is a 2nd Rd kinda guy.

Participant

Paid - Annual

College pitchers in our discussions –

Crochet – 6’6”, 218 lbs.
    Cavalli – 6’4”, 226 lbs.
    Mlodzinski – 6’2”, 232 lbs.
    Wilcox – 6’5”, 232 lbs.
    Miller – 6’5”, 220 lbs.
    Cecconi – 6’4”, 219 lbs.
    Van Eyk – 6’1”, 198 lbs.
    Jarvis – 6’2”, 195 lbs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Gamecard –
    Name one high school IF player taken in the first 5 rounds over the past 20 years that has worked out for the Cardinals. Gorman is a special case. Best high school power hitter in the country. Kelly has worked out, but his position was switched.
    Foscue is a real reach, but he’s less of a risk than Howard.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

IMO you can get a Foscue type in the 2nd RD or later.

Participant

Free

IMO you can get a Foscue type in the 2nd RD or later.

Anthony Servideo

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I love LH hitters or switch hitters.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 941 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years