2020 MLB Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 MLB Draft

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 965 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

BW – I base my assessment on the chances of a player becoming a St. Louis Cardinal some day. The statistics say that a larger percentage of college players make it than high school players and they make it to the big leagues faster. That’s all. I have no problem with taking a higher risk high schooler in the first round if we have another 1st round pick where we can take a good college player. But this year we don’t have another pick until toward the end of the second round. Therefore I’d go with a more proven college player at #21.
    There’s a lot more to go on. Especially for this draft.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

did you see my post about Chris McMahon?
    nobody commented.
    comments?
    thoughts?
    good stuff with lots of movement per youtubes I saw

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

also I guess BA has new mock out today with us taking Nick Loftin.
    at least they didn’t say Foscue for the third straight BA mock

GameCard
    Participant

Free

This what MLB.com has to say about McMahon…McMahon was a solid high school product outside of Philadelphia who was No. 100 on MLB Pipeline’s Draft Top 200 as the 2017 Draft rolled around. The former three-sport standout (soccer and basketball) slid in the Draft, going in the 33rd round, and opted to go to Miami instead. A knee injury cut short his freshman year, and his sophomore year was up-and-down as the Hurricanes’ Saturday starter. But he was one of the best performers for USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team, something that carried over to the start of his junior season.

The right-hander has more than enough stuff to succeed as a starter at the next level. His fastball is up to 95-96 mph consistently, with late action on it down in the zone, and he was up to 98 mph this fall. He knows how to spin a breaking ball, but it gets caught in between being a curve and slider, looking more like the former. He has a very good feel for his changeup that can miss bats and get ground-ball outs.

When he’s on, McMahon combines athleticism, stuff, feel for pitching and command to make him a complete package. With an arm action that can be a little deep, he can get flat and gets hit more than he should. He got out front more consistently and didn’t leave pitches up for Team USA and early this spring, solidifying his spot as one of the more solid college arms in the class.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

David Martin
    Stats don’t really excite me on McMahon. Based on Keith law draft I’d rather get Jarvis, Kelley, or Wilcox.
    This comment was interesting
    The Cards were the one team I had heard linked to high schooler Dylan Crews, who removed himself from the draft this week, but beyond that it’s been more college pitchers and a few position players (e.g., Jordan Westburg).

Westburg had a big 2019 Cape Cod season so it would be a typical cardinals pick.

bccran
    Participant

Westburg is Foscue’s middle infield partner.

bccran
    Participant

No one seems to be mentioning Ian Bedell from Mizzou. He was excellent in the 2019 Cape Cod league. Pick him up in the 3rd or 4th?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I prefer Westburg over Foscue.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

It feels like this will be a cape cod league player pick.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

It will be somebody who “falls” to the Cardinals

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

someone “falling” to the Cards would be great, as long as the fall is not because of injury

UncleDenny
    Participant

Going to be hard to draft a high school kid that’s ready for Peoria. There’s still GCL but safer bet to go polished college guy.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

If it is a Cape Cod pick then it will likely be Carmen Mlodzinski who was the best pitcher in last year’s Cape and is a 21 yr old College pitcher.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

a few teams have only four picks.
    at least we have seven.
    seven VERY IMPORTANT decisions

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Yes…the Cardinals with 7 picks in 5 rds are positioned quiet well to add some good talent.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s a list of the top 20 players in the 2019 Cape Cod League, as rated by one source –

1.) Nick Gonzales, 2B, New Mexico State
    2.) Austin Wells, C, Arizona
    3.) Parker Chavers, OF, Coastal Carolina
    4.) Hayden Cantrelle, 2B/SS, Louisiana-Lafayette
    5.) Daniel Cabrera, OF, LSU
    6.) Zach DeLoach, OF, Texas A&M
    7.) Trei Cruz, SS/3B, Rice
    8.) Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
    9.) Jordan Westburg, SS, Mississippi State
    10.) Carmen Mlodzinski, RHP, South Carolina
    11.) Alika Williams, SS, Arizona State
    12.) Ian Bedell, RHP, Missouri
    13.) Noah Campbell, OF, South Carolina
    14.) Matt McLain, 2B/3B/OF, UCLA
    15.) Zavier Warren, 3B, Central Michigan
    16.) Gage Workman, SS/3B, Arizona State
    17.) Zach McCambley, RHP, Coastal Carolina
    18.) Joe Boyle, RHP, Notre Dame
    19.) Logan Allen, LHP, Florida International
    20.) Trenton Denholm, RHP, Cal-Irvine

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Mloszinski is the first pitcher on the list and struck out 40 compared to 4 walks with a 2.14 ERA.

bccran
    Participant

GameCard – Bedell pitched 30 2/3 innings. Struck out 36 and walked 3. ERA of 0.58.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

But Carmen will go in the 1st rd and Bedell probably not until the 3rd or 4th Rd.

grenadier1
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Based on what we’ve seen in the past regarding the Cardinals draft strategy under Flores (Best available, particularly if he’s an unexplained fall down the draft board; 1 mid round high school over-sign; couple of cost saving college arms; wood bat league success, particularly from hitters). Here are my favorites at each position with rankings (MLB/BA/FG). After my first draft I realized there was a very high risk – high reward so I’ve added what I think are lower risk picks where needed. Obviously risk is completely my subjective opinion.
    1-21 Robert Hassell OF/HS (16/16/15) – Most well rounded HS player not named Veen.
    Lower Risk: Bobby Miller LHP/Louisville (26/28/28) – Big lefty with great stuff and ceiling
    2-54 Clayton Beeter RHP/TXTech (51/58/19) – Injury only thing that would drive him down. Stuff is there.
    Lower Risk: C.J. Van Eyk (39/46/31) – Solid three pitch mix with great CB and good track record in the ACC
    2-63 Zach DeLoach OF/TXAM (80/87/64) – good performer in wood bat leagues who’s struggled in the SEC
    Lower Risk: Parker Chavers OF/Coastal Carolina (108/167/54) – Good performer in wood bat leagues, injury history
    2-70 Landon Knack RHP/ETSU (113/113/116) – Late bloomer who could be a great mix of performance, upside and savings for a college senior. Leading the nation in strike outs prior to shutdown.
    Lower Risk: Ian Bedell RHP/Mizzou (89/105/100) – Safe pick with good stats in SEC and Cape Cod
    3-94 Drew Bowser 3B/HS (64/63/57) – HS SS who will likely move to 3rd. Big frame, good power, great program (Harvard Westlake)
    Lower Risk: Anthony Servideo SS/OleMiss (111/91/59) Fast; good defender with an avg hit tool and some gap power.
    4-121 Kevin Abel RHP/ORSt (153/124/121) Injury history brings him down but stuff is 1st or 2nd round
    Lower Risk: Hayden Cantrell SS/LA Lafeyette (119/138/88) Switch hitter with solid defense likely to stay at short
    5-151 Luke Little LHP/San Jacinto JC (167/121/173) who doesn’t love lefty velocity
    Lower Risk: Hugh Fisher LHP/Vanderbilt (154/173/97) “Only 60 grade FB) but much better repertoire

Anybody else got favorites for each pick?

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

Cole Wilcox cape cod league stats
    4 innings 1 hit 0 ER 2 BB 6 Ks
    4 innings 6 hit 6 ER 4 BB 4 Ks
    Hard to get good read on him based on that.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Think LH hitting outfielders like Daniel Cabrera, Zack DeLoach, etc

bccran
    Participant

Two good choices, Uncle Denny.
    Cabrera is rated #38, so he’s a reach at #21, and probably won’t be there at #54. DeLoach is ranked #80. He’s a real possibility.

bccran
    Participant

Both Cabrera and LaRoach hit extremely well in the Cape Cod League. As one poster said, the Cards like that wooden bat evaluation.

THerr28
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yes Cards are wont to highly value guys who hit well in Cape Cod.
    still thinking college pitcher at 21 an hitter at 54

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 965 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years