Cards667

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Post-COVID Pitching Staff #138524
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    So Martinez still gets activated Tuesday for a start and the 2nd game is Woodford or Ponce. Basically the same thing. I was just thinking of a way to keep long men available.

    in reply to: Offense #138522
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I think Carp has to be benched. It’s a lot of money to sit. But it’s the only thing to do.
    1. Wong 2B
    2. Edman 3B
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Miller DH
    5. DeJong SS
    6. Carlson RF
    7. Molina C
    8. Thomas LF
    9. Bader CF

    I put Carlson 6th because I think he would benefit from a veteran bat behind him and also splitting up the 3 young OF at the bottom.
    Carpenter, Ravelo, O’Neill, Knizner

    I said in a post somewhere in 2019 the Cardinals should pick up Miller when he was cut loose by Cleveland. Don’t know if it would have panned out the same, but I hope he keeps hitting because this team as it is now needs him desperately.

    in reply to: Post-COVID Pitching Staff #138517
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    They may have made an announcement on this I didn’t see but the way I see this lining up now is
    9-4 Flaherty
    9-5(1) Wainwright
    9-5 (2) Woodford – Woodford optioned after and keeping the 29th man (Ponce or Fernandez)
    9-6 Hudson
    9-7 Kim
    9-8(1) Oviedo
    9-8(2) Carlos – activated as 29th man, Ponce/Fernandez or Elledge optioned after
    Then the rotation plays out as Flaherty, Wainwright, Husdon, Kim, Martinez and Oviedo as a long man in the pen and especially on Martinez starts since I’m sure hes not fully stretched out.

    Oviedo, Kaminsky (L) (until Miller returns), Elledge/Fernandez/Ponce, Reyes, Cabrera(L), Helsley, Webb(L), Gant, Gomber(L), Gallegos

    ? On Whitley
    Crismatt and Meisinger are probably the next to be DFA for 40 man spots.

    in reply to: Cardinals and the trade deadline #137883
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Well if it was cardinal related deadline it would be EMPTY

    in reply to: Cardinals and the trade deadline #137854
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Texas and Boston supposedly taking Eovaldi for Odor swap. Maybe Texas wants Wong in a swap for Gallo. And then add Kennedy and Duffy to the pen.

    David Phelps could have been a good pen addition. St. Louis guy too. Going to Philly though.

    in reply to: Cardinals and the trade deadline #137837
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “What about bullpen help? Both based on current needs and past behavior, that does seem one place the Cards might look to add someone.”

    I wanted Rosey back, but he’s gone. I still look at KC though. Ian Kennedy, Danny Duffy (as a reliever) and could they pry Merrifield?
    Joey Gallo or JD Martinez to me are interesting targets too. I don’t like Gallo K% but good OF and LH power.
    I’ve said before Wong needs to go and I’ll say it again. Maybe Boston would want him since they don’t have a 2B.
    I never thought I’d say this, but unless Merrifield could be acquired, then Fowler needs to go back to leading off. I’d definitely include O’Neill for a bat, outside of him it would depend on who were talking about.

    in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #20 – Wed, Aug. 26 vs. Royals #136952
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Rosenthal looked good last night, just left the ball to Bader up a little to much, which I guess gets Bader removed from the line up. I always liked Rosenthal and would welcome him back as a cardinal, though it’s not really a need right now. Thought it would have been cool last night if when he was announced the PA sound would have given him a standing ovation the actual St. Louis crowd would have returning to Busch the first time.

    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Ryan Sherriff was selected by TB today.

    in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #17 – Sun, Aug. 23 vs. Reds #136536
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    So Tommy looking more and more comfortable every AB and were just going to start sitting him???

    And Molina back up that high? Drives me nuts!!! He shouldn’t be above 8th in the order! Hope he goes 4-4 to prove me wrong, but I’ll still say hit him 8th.

    I would have kept Elledge around. He’s looked really good and deserves more innings. Way more than any LH in that pen, especially Webb.

    in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #15 – Fri, Aug. 21 vs. Reds #136198
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “FOX Sports Midwest Plus is coming soon to AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now.”

    AT&T Now is supported in the Fox Sports Go app now. It wasn’t at first, but it’s what I use now since it doesn’t have FSMW Plus.

    in reply to: Post-COVID Pitching Staff #136043
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Flaherty
    Wainwright
    Hudson
    Kim (L)
    Poncedeleon/Martinez

    Gomber (L)
    Martinez/Poncedeleon
    Reyes
    Cabrera (L)
    Elledge
    Webb (L)
    Helsley
    Gant
    Miller (L)
    Gallegos

    Taxi: Whitley, Fernandez

    Whitley or Fernandez could swap with Elledge, but Elledge has looked good so far. I list Ponce and Martinez in the same slot because I think they piggyback each other until Martinez is stretched back out.

    Alt. site : Woodford, Oviedo, Sanchez (L) staying stretched out.

    DFA: Meisinger, Kaminski, Cruz, Crismatt, Ramirez

    in reply to: Post-COVID Position Players #136042
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    My guess is

    Wong
    Edman
    Goldschmidt
    DeJong
    Carpenter
    O’Neill
    Carlson
    Molina
    Fowler

    Schrock, Miller, Bader, Wieters

    Taxi: Knizner, Sosa, Thomas

    DFA: Nogowski and Ravelo

    Could be Sosa on the roster and Schrock at the alt site, putting a 3rd pitcher on the Taxi squad and a RH IF bat. But I really like what Schrock has shown so far.

    If a player clears waivers are they still eligible for the 60 man pool? For some reason I thought I read where they weren’t. Such as if Nogowski is DFA to clear a 40 man spot for the returning players, if he clears waivers, can he still be added back to the 60 man pool?

    in reply to: Offense #135957
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “Pass”

    2-4 2 HR today.

    I always liked him and hated the trade. And the fact they have nothing to show for him makes it worse to me.

    in reply to: Offense #135821
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I wouldn’t mind having a guy that could play all 3 and be 20-60, 2 2B, 4 HR, 6 BB, 14 K .333/.394/.567 158 OPS+.
    I know it’s a small sample, but the return for him is a pitcher I think is still in KC organization and 2 injured, mediocre years of a RP who is now in Cleveland, pitching poorly.

    in reply to: Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated) #135708
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    I like Schrock. Reminds me of Skip or Greg Garcia or Danny D.
    The offense is a mess. No middle of the order bat, but no #1 or 2 either.
    I’ve been saying trade Wong for years and I still say it. Put Edman at 2B. He needs to be moved down and take some pressure off him and keep his front side on the ball longer. He’s flying open to much.

    in reply to: Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated) #135179
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    1. Wong 2B L
    2. Edman SS S
    3. Goldschmidt 1B R
    4. Carpenter DH L
    5. O’Neill LF R
    6. Miller 3B L
    7. Carlson CF S
    8. Wieters C S
    9. Fowler RF S

    Schrock, Bader, Nogowski, Knizner
    Vs. LHP Carpenter to 3B, O’Neill DH, Carlson in LF hitting 6th, Wieters 7th, Bader in CF hitting 8th.

    Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson, Kim, Poncedeleon
    Woodford, Kaminsky(L), Elledge, Cabrera(L), Ramirez, Webb(L), Reyes, Gant, Miller(L), Gallegos

    That looks rough!!

    in reply to: Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated) #135068
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    1. Wong 2B L
    2. Edman SS S
    3. Goldschmidt 1B R
    4. Carpenter DH L
    5. O’Neill LF R
    6. Miller 3B L
    7. Carlson CF S
    8. Wieters C S
    9. Fowler RF S

    Schrock, Bader, ???, Knizner
    Vs. LHP Carpenter to 3B, O’Neill DH, Carlson in LF hitting 6th, Wieters 7th, Bader in CF hitting 8th.

    Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson, Kim, Poncedeleon
    Woodford, Gomber(L), Reyes, Cabrera(L), Ramirez, Webb(L), ???, Gant, Miller(L), Gallegos

    Do players on the COVID IL count against the 60 man pool and 40 man roster?
    I ask because they could claim some recently DFA players to fill the holes, especially since there will be so many double headers and having a 29 man roster for those and so little left to bring up.

    in reply to: Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated) #134555
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    40 man is currently full now, but you’re right that Mikolas is still on it and can be moved to the 45 day DL to open another spot if they have to.

    in reply to: Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated) #134554
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    The line up is so weak. Hope the pitching shuts everyone down.
    1. Wong 2B
    2. Edman SS
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Carpenter 3B
    5. O’Neill LF
    6. Miller DH
    7. Wieters C
    8. Thomas CF
    9. Fowler RF

    I’d move Thomas to 6th and LF vs LHP. Bader in CF hitting 8th, and DH O’Neill. Dean could also be a DH option vs LHP instead, especially if Bader continues to struggle. Let Fowler be a 2nd lead off man hitting 9th and maybe he can get on base some in front of the top of the order.

    in reply to: 2020 Cardinals Game #1 – Fri 7/24 vs. Bucs #133559
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    This umpire’s strikezone is low. I also hate the high strike isn’t a thing. The top of that Zone box is belt high. Carpenter walked on a legitimately belt high pitch.

    in reply to: St. Louis “Summer Camp” news #133367
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    “If Dean makes the team, I would guess it may be bad news for Sosa (taking Miller’s spot)”

    I think Sosa is safe. (This won’t be the actual lineup, but my “preferred”, knowing they are going to play Fowler.)

    1. Wong 2B
    2. Carpenter DH
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. DeJong SS
    5. Edman 3B
    6. O’Neill LF
    7. Molina C
    8. Fowler RF
    9. Bader CF

    1. Sosa IF (Taxi squad when cut to 26)
    2. Ravelo 1B/LF
    3. Thomas OF
    4. Dean OF (Demote when Miller back)
    5. Wieters C
    6. Knizner C (Taxi squad when cut to 28)

    Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson, Mikolas, Martinez

    1. Whitley/Oviedo (demote when to 28)
    2. Fernandez (demote when to 26, taxi squad??)
    3. Gomber (L)
    4. Poncedeleon
    5. Webb (L)
    6. Gant
    7. Gallegos (is he ready???)
    8. Miller (L)
    9. Helsley
    10. Kim (L)

    ??? – Reyes, Cabrera(L)
    IL/RL – Hicks, Brebbia

    in reply to: Expansion draft #129780
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    With Mlbtraderumors.com doing their mock draft and talking about the possibility of expansion I’ve thought about this.

    -Release Fowler, eat the last year of that terrible deal and use the spot to protect the future.
    -Decline the option on Wong, but could always negotiate with him as a free agent or work a trade of him before declining the option. I’d rather have Edman and especially rather have Edman vs paying Wong 12.5 million.

    Paul Goldschmidt (NTC?)
    Matt Carpenter (NTC)
    Miles Mikolas (NTC)
    Dylan Carlson
    Jack Flaherty
    Paul DeJong
    Tommy Edman
    Dakota Hudson
    Giovanny Gallegos
    Harrison Bader
    Jordan Hicks
    Ryan Helsley
    Junior Fernandez
    Tyler O’Neill
    Alex Reyes

    UNPROTECTED (order I would protect for 2nd round too):
    Andrew Knizner
    Genesis Cabrera
    Carlos Martinez
    Lane Thomas
    Kwang Hyun Kim
    John Gant
    John Brebbia
    Edmundo Sosa
    Justin Williams
    Daniel Ponce de Leon
    Austin Dean
    Rangel Ravelo
    Tyler Webb

    I leave Carlos unprotected. $11.7 in 2021, $17 option, $18 option. If someone takes the contract then oh well, and then they can protect Knizner, Cabrera, Thomas from the 2nd round. I worry Carlos would be very attractive pick to trade off too. If Carlos wasn’t selected in the 1st round, he would be one of my 3 I protect for the 2nd round.
    Wouldn’t protect Kim. 31 years old. 1 more guaranteed year. Maybe he gets picked as a trade piece, but don’t view him as a huge protection for now or the future.
    Brebbia and Gant are mostly replaceable.

    in reply to: Brad Miller Signing #122348
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    1 year of Wong. No way I’d pick up that option. I’ve never been a huge fan of his at all and Edman is a cheaper and a better option.
    Martinez is a good, but the heath questions are concerning. If they can get out of that contract it wouldn’t be the worst thing. Especially for using the money elsewhere when they have bad unmovable contracts with no trades in Carpenter and Fowler. I’m not real sold that Goldschmidt’s contract isn’t going to be a hindrance sooner rather than later either.
    I’m not sold on O’Neill either, the team control doesn’t concern me with him when I don’t think he can hack it as an everyday player and others can fill the 4th OF role.
    Ponce was a guy I added because he again doesn’t have a role on the team and there are other options for his partime role and OAK could have more need for him now and value him more than he is in STL.
    They need to replace some slugging lost in Ozuna. They need LH bats. I’m not saying my hypothetical idea is the best out there or they could do. But this current OF looks shakey at best and cost effective to ownership that said they aren’t spending anymore money. I’d rather have Edman everyday at 2B than Wong. I’d rather have Pederson than O’Neill especially in a win this season situation. Stripling as the long man vs Ponce is whatever. And clear out Martinez money and question marks while adding 3-4 prospects for the future or a other trade.

    in reply to: Brad Miller Signing #122315
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    Trade
    1)Wong and Poncedeleon to Oakland for some minor league pitching.

    2) Hou gets: Martinez, O’Neill, Capel from STL
    LAA get: Reddick and cash from HOU
    LAD get: minor leaguers from HOU and another from LAA
    STL gets: Pederson, Stripling, Raley, maybe a minor leaguer too from LAD

    Wong alone covers the Pederson and Stipling money. Martinez clears money and future money for other flexibility, Arenado maybe…

    Fowler – LF (S)
    Pederson – RF (L)
    Goldschmidt – 1B (R)
    DeJong – SS (R)
    Carpenter – 3B (L)
    Edman – 2B (S)
    Molina – C (R)
    Bader – CF (R)

    Miller-UTIL(L), Munoz-UTIL(R), Thomas-OF(R), Ravelo-1B/LF(R), Weiters-C(S)

    Flaherty, Mikilas, Hudson, Kim, Wainwright
    Stripling, Reyes, Webb, Gant, Brebbia, Helsley, Miller, Gallegos

    If Bader struggles then Raley/Thomas platoon in RF, moving Pederson to CF, or Carlson could be possibilities. Thomas can get AB in RF with Pederson too who struggles vs LHP.

    in reply to: Playoff Rotation/Roster #108238
    Cards667
    Participant

    Free

    1. Fowler
    2. Wong
    3. Goldschmidt
    4. Ozuna
    5. DeJong
    6. Edman
    7. Molina
    8. Bader

    Carpenter, Munoz, O’Neill, Martinez, Wieters

    Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright

    Martinez, Gallegos, Miller(L), Gant, Brebbia, Helsley, Webb(L), ???

    I think I actually lean towards Fernandez for the 8th pen spot. Wacha isn’t a reliever. Cabrera hasn’t shown much. Poncedeleon hasn’t pitched since 9/7. I like Leone when he’s “on”, but that hasn’t been very often in 2019. Mayers hasn’t been getting outs, or game action in 2 weeks.

Viewing 25 posts - 901 through 925 (of 991 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years