Brad Miller Signing

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Brad Miller Signing

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

An upgrade over Drew Robinson.

Hicks to the 60 day DL.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

A 30-year old with no options remaining. Looks like Sosa and Munoz are SOL.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Monthly

His main advantage is that he is a left-handed hitter coming off the bench.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Good signing. Reminds me of the first Weiters signing, adding a vet LH bench bat.

Participant

Free

Miller is a pretty poor defensive player so I hope he doesn’t get a lot of time in the infield. If anything he could play the outfield more while Edman plays the infield.

Participant

Paid - Annual

He makes a good addition to the bench. Probably will be top pinch hitter. Hurts Sosa and Munoz chances of making the team, unless Ravelo is let go.

Participant

Free

He Won’t be playing much OF. Guy only made 12 starts there last season.

This guy should be an off the bench bat he didn’t hit well in that role last year It appears he could be more of insurance.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It was looking like this was going to be Sosa’s year. All he can do about this is just keep getting better. I agree that this signing make sense. This team might be a game or two better with Brad Miller on the bench rather than with Muñoz or Sosa.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d never heard of this guy. Looks like he’s a solid platoon option who probably displaces Munoz. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, necessarily.

Participant

Free

He Won’t be playing much OF. Guy only made 12 starts there last season.

This guy should be an off the bench bat he didn’t hit well in that role last year It appears he could be more of insurance.

Well Edman hadn’t played the OF since he was in HS and he played the OF several times last season. All I do know is that Miller is a very bad defensive infielder.

Participant

Free

.938 OPS vs RH pitching, I’ll take that addition all day long! What worries me is that his stats as a PH were beyond awful which is what I assume we are all thinking his role will be. As a starter the OPS was above 1.000

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if there’s a subtle implication to this.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

However and wherever they play, I predict Edman will lose some playing time. My guess is that he and Miller will be treated more equally than he and Sosa/Munoz would have been.

For example, if Edman would have gotten 400 at-bats and Sosa/Munoz 200 before, in the new world, it could be more like 300 and 300 each, Edman and Miller. (Just an illustration.)

Another implication is that the loss of Urias is even more easily understood, since it appears that both Sosa and Munoz will be in Memphis.

Participant

Free

Another implication is that the loss of Urias is even more easily understood, since it appears that both Sosa and Munoz will be in Memphis.

Which further creates an infield logjam at Memphis and Springfield.

Participant

Free

Brian, so you are saying that Edman will probably be a super-sub after all?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, so you are saying that Edman will probably be a super-sub after all?

300 at bats isn’t a super sub…that’s just a plain old sub.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Could he be a starter in all games when going against a rhp?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I can eventually see Edman in CF, Miller in LF, and Carlson in RF.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC said:

Which further creates an infield logjam at Memphis and Springfield.

No more than last week or last month. Same number of candidates. Just one name changed to another this week.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran said:

I can eventually see Edman in CF, Miller in LF, and Carlson in RF.

You mean late in a game after the starters were substituted out? Edman has been great filling in, but he has a career total of one inning played in center field. He is not going to be the starter there. And if the Cards need Miller to be a regular starter, that means all the younger players failed.

Even if you write off Bader, O’Neill and Thomas are going to have more to say about who is starting – at least for a while.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yes, this may have played into the Urias DFA. This agreement to sign Miller may have been in place for a while with the agreement for it to be finalized when Hicks could go on the 60 day DL.

Also, dont overlook the possibility that this means that Edman will compete for an OF spot in Spring training and beyond.

Participant

Free

bccran – that would be one terrible managing mistake to have that kind of a OF….ugh what a fail that would be

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Munoz totaled 195 PA’s last season, at all levels. The org may want him playing everyday in the minors, while the vet Miller plays sporadically. Couldn’t be the worst thing for Yairo’s career.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even if you write off Bader, O’Neill and Thomas are going to have more to say about who is starting – at least for a while.

Most assuredly. One thing this team will have going for it…they have a lot of versatility. You could have a lineup of nearly all LHH at times-Wong 2B, Edman SS, Carp 3B, Goldy 1B, Fowler RF, Miller LF, Wieters C, Bader CF. You could also have a lineup of almost all RHH-Edman 2B, Thomas RF, Goldy 1B, O’Neill LF, Dejong SS, Molina C, Munoz 3B, Bader CF. While neither of those is probably ideal, it wouldn’t be the worst to have a lot of flexibility to play matchups.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years