2020 Cardinals Game #1 – Fri 7/24 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #1 – Fri 7/24 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Friday, July 24 7:15 p.m. vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
    RHP Jack Flaherty (11-8, 2.75 in 2019) vs. RHP Joe Musgrove (11-12, 4.44 in 2019)
    FSM // KMOX // WIJR

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Been looking forward to this day for a loonnng time! Let’s get it going. Quick start will be needed this season to do anything memorable because come Oct, it will still be playoff baseball despite the short season and the opt-outs. Cards 1-0 by midnight Friday!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Finally! Hope the Cards can ride the strong arm of Diamond Jack to an opening day win. I also hope we get some of the usual gang back for game threads.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Watched just a little exhibition baseball, trying to get a feel for how it will be with no fans in the stands. It is a little awkward. I think the broadcasts will be okay, but games where the home team makes a late comeback will miss a lot of the excitement. The announcers won’t have the choice to let the fan cheering carry the drama, and will have to act more like cheerleaders. Just what MM3 loves to see in a broadcast. 🙂

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I completely forgot that because the opponent is the Pirates, I will be blacked out of this game tonight. Ugh. Easily the dumbest policy that MLB could have agreed to this season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ridiculous. I feel for you…

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Agreed – you would have thought they would lift that dumb blackout ban for this season at least. Fortunately I am not in the Central area, so no games should be blacked out unless it is a national broadcast (I do not have cable television).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is they were against removing the blackouts because it would show they can do it. Putting them back on next season would be a takeaway. I don’t agree with it, but I think I under$tand their motivation$.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sorry, but i have to ask…….

Whats the weather look like in St. Louis for the game tonight?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Three Months

From Accuweather, Looks like about 87 (real feel 93) at gametime. No precip expected.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Shildt pre-game comments summarized

Not aware of 30th spot being filled today. Ask Mo. If we have 29 in the first game of the season, I think we will be ok.

Whitley pitched well last season, in fall league, in spring, break and summer camp. Aggressive. Trusts his stuff. Good breaking pitch. Throws strikes. Gets swings and misses. More than earned his spot on the opening day roster.

Gallegos was very effective in his pen. Arm strength was there. Command not as crisp but not surprising. Throws another live tomorrow. Should be close to being ready after that.

Team is unified. Flag and anthem are sacred. If they kneel prior to that, it is separate from the anthem. Peaceful way to bring awareness. Pleased guys have a stance. Anyone who speaks out (Jack) will be criticized. Those who don’t agree, hope they can respect. Jack is willing to put himself out there.

Jack is targeted at about 85-90 pitches, but could throw less or more depending on whether he is working easy or hard.

Crystallized lineup 10 days to 2 weeks ago. Played with in intrasquads and exhibition game. Feels good about it as a starting point. About 4 IF first and 3 OF last, he said it is not overly common, but it fits our team.

On expanded playoffs, more opportunity in playoffs is great. Good for game this year. #1 goal is to reach playoffs by winning division. Different look this year creates more excitement for fans.

On Carp as DH. He can stay a little fresher. Will adjust to role pretty quickly, but won’t say he won’t play in the field too. Had a good camp at 3B.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo pregame comments summarized:

Overall feels very good where we are.

Gallegos – not concerned it will be too long. Live throw tomorrow and if all goes well, he will be available. Keeping 30th spot open is directly related.

Reyes and Cabrera are on option to minors, but because it was before the season, they could be brought up at any time.

Will announce taxi squad tomorrow. Have to tell players first. Will be one pitcher and one hitter. Don’t need catcher since three on roster.

On expanded playoffs, hopes Cards are a part of it. Called approach “clever” for fans. Would have preferred a first round bye but logical from fan perspective.

On Carlson. Told him right now the guys in front of him performed well. If not going to play every day, then it is not important to be here. Need to give O’Neill and Thomas the opportunity.

On BLM/kneeling backlash. Lots of emails. Trying to answer them. Frustrated in the world cutting things in half. Baseball is a diverse group and need to support them. No way to make everyone happy.

On Jack, he is one of our teammates. We want to support him and be respectful. Change is coming even if some do not like it. Doing nothing, saying nothing, then how will you solve or make things better. Had external clubhouse speaker recently. Refreshing to see others besides Jack and Dex speak.

Players Alliance created agenda for all teams. Discussed “United for Change” but players felt BLM is more impactful. Not saying all players want to join BLM cause. (Lots more comments which others will write about…)

On 60-man pool openings. Wants to keep flexibility but may decide to add a couple of players. Still thinking through if MLB protection pr prospect additions.

Springfield camp going well. All 12 from StL in camp now. Not all have cleared yet. Will create media access next week, maybe every other day to align with intrasquads. Some will be in the evening. (Yes, I asked these last two questions!)

On Cecil. His stuff was short. Velo was down. Hard to imagine his stuff would play at this level. Three batter minimum seemed daunting.

Brad Miller reported to Springfield last night. Hoping he can ramp it up and be ready for Milwaukee.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright pregame

Getting a lot of social media questions. As Christian, his job is to love neighbors, friends and family. For him, involvement is simple. Dex, Willie and Jack spoke. Said it would mean a lot to them to join them in the movement. We need to stand up and help these guys. Shirt is about people, not organizations. (Again tons more comments I don’t have time to post…)

Is excited, but it does not feel like opening day. Feels kind of like July 24. “This is really happening.” Fans telling him they want escape. Have to win 60 + 14 games in playoffs. Teams understand magnitude of each game. Can have a bad week maybe, but not two.

On road trips guys will be careful. Everybody wants to finish season. They have good shot at World Series unless the season is canceled. Guys who went out before now just want at-bats.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kodi Whitley pregame (new no. 38 on your scorecard…)

Called in to meet with Shildt, Maddux, Marmol and Eversgerd. Had sung the National Anthem the night before so they gave him grief about that. When they told him he made the roster, he wondered for a moment inside if they were messing with him.

Called Mom first and she was crying. She put his sister on and she started crying too, so did he. His girlfriend was in the hotel so he could tell her in person. She cried too. It was s big cry fest.

Expanded roster helped him a lot. Did not think of it. Spring was his first camp. Focused on learning and performing well, keeping head up and working hard. What happens, happens.

Every coach helped him on and off field. Cale Johnson his Peoria pitching coach helped him get into analytics. Learned to throw some pitches over others.

Every time promoted, wonders how stuff plays at next level. Raises confidence when getting guys out.

Asked about potentially not getting regular work at the back of the pen, he said he has to stay ready. Can’t take an extra 200 swings in cage like a hitter. Takes his 60-70 throws in catch daily very seriously. Makes them count.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

I love Willie!

Participant

Free

Good start by Jack tonight and appears the team is thinking baseball vice other non-baseball issues. I like what I’m seeing from the pre-game through 1 1/2 so far. Now need some hits. Weren’t Pirates 3-18 or some such in pre-season? Should be an easy win.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Woo Hoo Tyler!!!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Edman “out” call at first reminded me of 1985 in reverse. That was an easy call but the ump missed it.

Man I love O’Neill’s potential!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Should have gotten two there.

Participant

Free

This umpire’s strikezone is low. I also hate the high strike isn’t a thing. The top of that Zone box is belt high. Carpenter walked on a legitimately belt high pitch.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by AvatarCards667.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I noticed the same, Cards667. Based on the FOX box, that called ball four to Carpenter looked to be strike three up the zone. That could have been Carp’s first meltdown of the new season as he rarely takes a called strike three well.

Participant

Free

Jack gets Bell to pop out and Moran to whiff with two on. Those two aren’t exactly Pujols and Berkman, but still two good outs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years