Post-COVID Pitching Staff

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Post-COVID Pitching Staff

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I received the following question via Twitter, but it felt more like a group discussion topic.

@jimbohorton
    asked:

Brian – seems like we have a number of food young arms – assuming 13 pitchers on the roster and everyone healthy, who do you staying? Rotation of Kim, Flaherty, Hudson, Carlos, Waino? Miller, Gant, Gomber, Brebbia and then? Not a big fan of Webb, but they seem to like him.

I would assume 15 pitchers with a 28-man roster and Brebbia being injured would not be part of the 2020 mix. Before getting more specific, let’s see what others think…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty
    Hudson
    Kim
    Waino
    Ponce
    Carlos
    Cabrera
    Gallegos
    Gant
    Gomber
    Miller
    Oviedo
    Reyes

Woodford and Sanchez next up

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Flaherty
    Hudson
    Kim
    Waino
    CMart

Ponce
    Gomber
    Cabrera
    Gallegos
    Gant
    Miller
    Reyes
    Fernandez
    Whitley
    Helsley

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, good list, but what did you do with Webb? I think they might take him over Junior. Other than that, it seems about right to me as far as what they go with.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There are probably three pitchers for the final two spots: Webb, Fernandez, and Cabrera.

Cabrera and Fernandez have the most talent and highest ceilings of the three but sometimes fail to harness their potential. They will probably go with Webb and Cabrera but you could make an argument for Junior too. I am assuming all three have options left. If Webb doesn’t then that gives him an advantage to stay.

I really like Woodford too. If CMart, Kim, or Hudson slip up I wouldn’t hesitate to put Woodford in the rotation.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like BHC’s list, although like BW, believe Webb will sub for Fernandez or Whitley. The 29th man for doubleheaders will probably be one of those two of Jake Woodford.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, Webb does NOT have options. I know some people don’t like him, but given the need for pitching depth this season, I can’t see them taking the risk losing him.

Participant

Free

I posted this on the other Post Covid staff but it bears duplication here.

I predict that Carlos Martinez will not complete the season as a starter. He may not even complete the season because of injury. And to this day I am still wondering why he would not let them release his name as a Covid Positive player. It became pretty obvious anyway.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Webb does NOT have options. I know some people don’t like him, but given the need for pitching depth this season, I can’t see them taking the risk losing him.

This is almost a given.

Participant

Free

Flaherty
    Wainwright
    Hudson
    Kim (L)
    Poncedeleon/Martinez

Gomber (L)
    Martinez/Poncedeleon
    Reyes
    Cabrera (L)
    Elledge
    Webb (L)
    Helsley
    Gant
    Miller (L)
    Gallegos

Taxi: Whitley, Fernandez

Whitley or Fernandez could swap with Elledge, but Elledge has looked good so far. I list Ponce and Martinez in the same slot because I think they piggyback each other until Martinez is stretched back out.

Alt. site : Woodford, Oviedo, Sanchez (L) staying stretched out.

DFA: Meisinger, Kaminski, Cruz, Crismatt, Ramirez

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LHP’s:
    Likely the best LH reliever, KK, was moved to the rotation. A. Miller and Sanchez are currently IL, which leaves Cabrera, Gant, Kaminski and Webb on the active roster.

IP: Gomber 9.2, Webb 9.0, Cabrera 8.1, and recently recalled Kaminski 2.0 IP.

OPS allowed: Kaminski .000, Gomber .353, Cabrera .643 and Webb .757

Total Bases allowed: Kaminski 0, Gomber 3, Cabrera 10 and Webb 15

Highest 2020 pitch count: Gomber 34, Cabrera 30, Webb 29, Kaminski 14

Participant

Paid - Annual

How Alexander “The Great”‘s name is not being bandied about here, borders on the criminal side of things. Nobody’s fault here, as that terrible oversight rests in the organization’s lap. He’s going to give some team 8 wonderful years….too bad it apparently won’t be with our Birds.

Participant

Free

They may have made an announcement on this I didn’t see but the way I see this lining up now is
    9-4 Flaherty
    9-5(1) Wainwright
    9-5 (2) Woodford – Woodford optioned after and keeping the 29th man (Ponce or Fernandez)
    9-6 Hudson
    9-7 Kim
    9-8(1) Oviedo
    9-8(2) Carlos – activated as 29th man, Ponce/Fernandez or Elledge optioned after
    Then the rotation plays out as Flaherty, Wainwright, Husdon, Kim, Martinez and Oviedo as a long man in the pen and especially on Martinez starts since I’m sure hes not fully stretched out.

Oviedo, Kaminsky (L) (until Miller returns), Elledge/Fernandez/Ponce, Reyes, Cabrera(L), Helsley, Webb(L), Gant, Gomber(L), Gallegos

? On Whitley
    Crismatt and Meisinger are probably the next to be DFA for 40 man spots.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Check the game threads, 667. Woodford is not starting tomorrow. The five regulars all pitch in Chicago. That leaves Tuesday wide open.

Participant

Free

So Martinez still gets activated Tuesday for a start and the 2nd game is Woodford or Ponce. Basically the same thing. I was just thinking of a way to keep long men available.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since Ponce is in Springfield, unless he is recalled to be the 29th man on Saturday, he should be very available for Tuesday. My plan would be to start he and Martinez on Tuesday and keep Woodford available for the weekend.

P.S. If they want to keep Ponce up after Tuesday, they could do that, as his 10-day option period will be over.

The second day off Wednesday would set them up to start Flaherty and Waino in the Thursday DH and the rest of the rotation could pitch as normal through the Cincy series next weekend.

The real mess will hit the next week with three doubleheaders in five days.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking forward to the bullpen in 2021. When have we had 5 guys who have hit 100 on the gun?

Participant

Paid - Annual

This from MLB yesterday on the bullpen going forward:

“I think it’s going to be a flexibility of availability situation,” Shildt said. “It’ll be more matchup related, based on

who’s available to pitch that day based on how they feel.”

I’m glad to hear him say that. “how they feel” is an important element in determining who gets the ball.
    Fans aren’t privy to that kind of information…. sometimes guys just don’t feel 100%. That’s something that has crossed my mind a thousand times.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good reminder to fans, Ny. The coaches check with every reliever prior to every game to make the availability call. They are also tracking usage to have a pitch count idea of each’s max.

Participant

Free

Looking forward to next year, there will be a real competition for pitching spots. The Cardinals are in a great position to make a trade or 2 or 3 to help the team.

SP:
    Wainwright (re-sign for another year)
    Kim
    Mikolas (probably unable to trade)
    Flaherty (would consider trading for a superstar)
    Hudson (would trade for an upgrade in the field)
    CMart
    Oviedo
    Woodford
    Gomber
    Cabrera
    Reyes
    plus we have Rondon, Seijas, Thompson and Liberatore that will be ready shortly.

We need to take advantage and make some trades to improve the team. CMart would be my top choice to trade. Hudson would be the one who I would use to try to get another team to give up someone who will make a real difference. I would love to be able to trade Mikolas but I don’t think they can right now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Martinez has at most three more regular season starts plus post-season to re-establish his value.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hope he does well, and then is traded this off season.

Participant

Free

forsch, since you are in a trading mood why not give us some names of who we should receive in turn for sending out our players. I am supposing you are looking for veterans. A list of possibles would be worth discussing.

Participant

Free

Personally I would not mind seeing Lance Lynn walk back into the clubhouse. He is getting a bit long in the tooth and probably has a solid Rangers contract but he delivers. If the NL is to keep the DH, Luke Voit’s bat would not be frowned upon returning either. I don’t really see either of these things happening.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Conforto
    Soler

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years