Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Summer Camp 60-man roster (updated)

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

I guess Covid brings new rules to 40 and 60 man rosters.

Yes, it is in the depths of the 2020 Operations Manual.

Apparently roster exemptions to those who are deemed to be out longer?

It is not required. Since the COVID IL has no minimum or maximum, it could be any of them, but you are right in that if the Cards select players they think will be out longer, they delay the tough decision later as to who has to go off.

Are these new rules perhaps related to the Cardinals and Marlins mass positive tests?

No, they have been there all along. I just didn’t have a need to go looking for them until now – when the numbers stopped making sense with the regular rules.

If you step back and think about it, it is pretty impressive that the Cards have been able to replace 14 players so far (10 positives plus Gomber plus the three pitchers out for the year) with decent internal options.

Participant

Free

1. Wong 2B L
    2. Edman SS S
    3. Goldschmidt 1B R
    4. Carpenter DH L
    5. O’Neill LF R
    6. Miller 3B L
    7. Carlson CF S
    8. Wieters C S
    9. Fowler RF S

Schrock, Bader, Nogowski, Knizner
    Vs. LHP Carpenter to 3B, O’Neill DH, Carlson in LF hitting 6th, Wieters 7th, Bader in CF hitting 8th.

Flaherty, Wainwright, Hudson, Kim, Poncedeleon
    Woodford, Kaminsky(L), Elledge, Cabrera(L), Ramirez, Webb(L), Reyes, Gant, Miller(L), Gallegos

That looks rough!!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If this happens can we please see Jhon Torres? :o)

Participant

Paid - Annual

There surely will be a flurry of moves this week with one double header down and 2 more coming this week.

Participant

Once DeJong and Sosa come back, the Cardinals will have to decide whether they want to keep Sosa ahead of Schrock on the 28-man roster.

—- the Commish in yesterday’s PD.

I would keep Schrock as long as he is hitting well. If he cools off then bring Sosa up. Sosa will need some time to get his legs under him anyway. The advantage for Sosa is that he can play SS…. Schrock only 2B and some 3B where he only learned to play last season at Memphis.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeJong is also in the group right behind Sosa and will probably not require as much time in Springfield. When Paul is back, the reserve SS is well-covered by Edman, making Sosa’s defensive advantage less important. (And putting Brad Miller aside.)

Either way, based on early returns, it certainly doesn’t look like Schrock is going to be among those potentially exposed to waivers when everyone is healthy.

Participant

Free

I like Schrock. Reminds me of Skip or Greg Garcia or Danny D.
    The offense is a mess. No middle of the order bat, but no #1 or 2 either.
    I’ve been saying trade Wong for years and I still say it. Put Edman at 2B. He needs to be moved down and take some pressure off him and keep his front side on the ball longer. He’s flying open to much.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The post Covid rules for the 40 man roster seem strange. If Yadi has been activated, shouldn’t someone have to be removed from the 40 man roster? Maybe closer to game time?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

1) The post Covid rules for the 40 man roster seem strange.

2) If Yadi has been activated, shouldn’t someone have to be removed from the 40 man roster? Maybe closer to game time?

1) Yes they are.

2) No. Not until they get down to fewer than seven on the COVID IL.

Perhaps the best way of thinking about is that for every COVID IL player they have, they have the choice of going over the 40-man by that much. They don’t have to, but they could.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Once we pair the 40 man roster back down to its true level (40+3 on the 45 day IL) I see the off season roster shaping up like this:

4 FA’s removed leaving a roster of 36 (Miller, Weiters, Waino and Yadi)
    3 45 day IL guys reinstated leaving the roster at 39
    1 must add for rule 5 protection (Rondon) leaving the roster at 40

A decision to re-sign Waino or Yadi or any free agents will require the removal of additional players from the 40 man roster (barring trades). Too early to speculate who those might be since it is unclear exactly who will be removed from the 40 as the Covid players come back.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unless serious injuries hit, you can bet that both Waino and Yadi will want to come back for 2021.

In the case of Molina, his salary expectations will have a lot to do with how smoothly this occurs. Waino has already crossed the lower-base with incentives bridge – by necessity. Molina has been more consistent with no similar low period.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Herrera and Rodriguez need to be added to 40 man and guess they take chance on leaving Torres exposed.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would they really leave a top 10 system prospect exposed? I would think they would rather take the chance that Rodriguez isn’t picked.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Herrera and Rodriguez need to be added to 40 man and guess they take chance on leaving Torres exposed.

No way!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With a Rule 5 pick, you have to consider proximity to the majors. It is a big factor in the risk equation.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Yes, Herrera will have to be added. I was mistakenly thinking that he was already on the 40 man roster.

Rodriguez may very well be exposed.

Torres also might be given he was given no development time this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t the Cards have several pitchers in the camp ready to throw 70 to 80 pitches? So far, Oviedo is the only one able to throw 5 innings. It seems logical to pick out a few candidates and have them ready for seemingly endless double headers?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Cant keep up with rules. Sosa is activated but in Springfield. Does that mean he was ootiined?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, the answer is yes.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27 asked:

Out of curiosity, why wouldn’t the Cards have several pitchers in the camp ready to throw 70 to 80 pitches? So far, Oviedo is the only one able to throw 5 innings. It seems logical to pick out a few candidates and have them ready for seemingly endless double headers?

In brief, shortage of bodies.

Per the roster matrix, there is only one 40-man roster starter in Springfield. That is Crismatt. The only reason I listed him as a starter rather than a reliever is that is the role he played in his prior organization in 2019.

The other starters in Springfield are Rondon, Thompson and Liberatore, none of whom are ready to start in MLB, let alone be counted upon for 70-80 pitches. And even if you could get past that, none of the three are on the already-squeezed 40-man roster.

In St. Louis already are Oviedo, Woodford and Gomber, who would be the preferred starters as needed, anyway.

Participant

Paid - Annual

So it appears the Cards are making wholesale changes, PDL, Fernandez, Schrock have been sent out, Sanchez put on IL. Nagowski, Elledge, Kaminsky, and Meisinger added. Likely bad omen for PDL, as this could be his last option used.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With Helsley and Whitley still out, I don’t see why Rondon wouldn’t be given a chance. Rondon has to be added prior to Rule 5 exposure any way.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just asked Shildt in the pre-game about the rehabbing Springfield guys. He said that Helsley threw a live session yesterday and will travel with the team on the road trip to potentially be activated early in the week. No setbacks with any of the players in the alternate camp, but they are on different schedules…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

c27 said:

With Helsley and Whitley still out, I don’t see why Rondon wouldn’t be given a chance. Rondon has to be added prior to Rule 5 exposure any way.

There is a big difference in the availability of 40-man roster spots in the fall vs. now. Adding him now also means one more has to be removed during the next month when all the injured players are back. As I posted above, Helsley is almost ready and CMart is maybe a week away. It seems the worst is behind them.

Further, we have no idea how Rondon is doing in camp, but his time will come eventually.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years