Post-COVID Position Players

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Post-COVID Position Players

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This seems like a good companion thread to the other one discussing what the pitching staff will look like with everyone back.

The question here:

When the Cardinals are back to full strength, who would be your 13 position players (on the 28-man roster)?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

First shot. Agree or disagree?

Molina
    Wieters

Goldy
    Wong
    DeJong
    Carp
    Edman
    Miller

O’Neill
    Bader
    Fowler
    Thomas
    Carlson

This means Ravelo could be lost to the organization as he has no options remaining. He is pushed off due to Carlson’s arrival. Or do you send Thomas down to get regular at-bats? With Carlson up, he essentially becomes the fifth outfielder.

Another alternative would be the case CC mentioned the other day. If Carlson’s offense hasn’t picked up by then, is he the one to be sent down?

Dean, Sosa and Knizner are others who get optioned out until another spot opens up.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It won’t happen but if it were up to me Knizer would replace Wieters on your list. I agree with the others.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Will there still be a taxi squad of 5 players (increased from 3)? gscottar I tend to agree but these double headers close together have shown that catcher is a position where you need 3 to carry the load even with DHs scheduled with a single game day in between. It will be good to know that we have some pretty decent arms in Springfield for those DHs.

My Prediction: Carlos Martinez will not finish the season as a starter.

Andrew Miller is someone who confuses home fans.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another alternative would be the case CC mentioned the other day. If Carlson’s offense hasn’t picked up by then, is he the one to be sent down?

I’d probably send Dylan down, but the organization probably won’t. Might be too big a confidence blow.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To MM3’s question, the taxi squad is a maximum of five for the entire remainder of the season. Generally speaking for road doubleheaders, they have pulled the 29th man, a pitcher, from that group.

For home doubleheaders, it may depend on how stretched the pitching is. One alternative is to just activate the taxi squad catcher, who is already physically present in St. Louis. Of course, it also would not be a big deal to have a pitcher drive up from Springfield for the day.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

I’d probably send Dylan down, but the organization probably won’t. Might be too big a confidence blow.

FWIW, they did it with Oscar Taveras.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Ravelo over Thomas….. versatility means a lot these days. Plus the FO seems to like Ravelo.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, you don’t think the FO likes Thomas, too? I think they like him even more than Ravelo. Before Thomas got sick, he was a contender to be a starter, while Ravelo is clearly a reserve-only player.

Thomas can play all the OF positions well. Ravelo is a corner outfielder and first baseman and while capable defensively, he is more of an offensive player. While we saw him a bit at third in camp, he isn’t more than an emergency option there, IMO. I am not sure I see a versatility advantage between the two, but if I did, it would be the one with the ability to play an above-average CF, a premium position.

But the available minor league option for Thomas does buy them roster flexibility in a very uncertain season. And that might be the clincher.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This means Ravelo could be lost to the organization as he has no options remaining. He is pushed off due to Carlson’s arrival. Or do you send Thomas down to get regular at-bats?

Regular ABs for Thomas makes more sense to me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In terms of ABs for Thomas, there are two dimensions. He will likely be asked to get up to speed in games in Springfield while still on the IL. Then when ready for StL, where would he fit into the OF mix to get regular ABs?

Maybe it wouldn’t just be Thomas vs. Carlson. Maybe Bader is a candidate to sit – or even be sent down again to get ABs – if his hitting doesn’t improve.

Another factor is Brad Miller. He has shown his value and is soaking up some of the at-bats the DH position offers. Though he may sit more than DeJong returns, Miller playing even semi-regularly puts even more pressure on the outfielders, albeit indirectly.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

My guess is

Wong
    Edman
    Goldschmidt
    DeJong
    Carpenter
    O’Neill
    Carlson
    Molina
    Fowler

Schrock, Miller, Bader, Wieters

Taxi: Knizner, Sosa, Thomas

DFA: Nogowski and Ravelo

Could be Sosa on the roster and Schrock at the alt site, putting a 3rd pitcher on the Taxi squad and a RH IF bat. But I really like what Schrock has shown so far.

If a player clears waivers are they still eligible for the 60 man pool? For some reason I thought I read where they weren’t. Such as if Nogowski is DFA to clear a 40 man spot for the returning players, if he clears waivers, can he still be added back to the 60 man pool?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

667 asked:

If a player clears waivers are they still eligible for the 60 man pool? For some reason I thought I read where they weren’t.

If you can find your source, please share it. This is a bit confusing.

I do know that once a player is removed from the pool, he cannot be re-added. What is not clear is if a removal from the 40-man also forces the player out of the 60-man pool. I had assumed that was not the case unless the organization specifically wanted to do it.

What the Operations Manual says is a player “may” be removed from the pool by trade, waiver, outright, etc. It does not say “must”.

However, we are all trying to figure this out as we go.

bccran
    Participant

Dean or Ravelo over Thomas.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

667 said:

DFA: Nogowski and Ravelo

This really got me thinking. The Cardinals need pitching depth more right now than reserve first basemen-outfielders. Some very difficult decisions are not too far ahead.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing in all of this that would be nice to know is if the players who are on the COVID IL are working at Springfield or if they’re still sick. The black hole of minor league info is especially frustrating for those of us who are used to the great coverage here at TCN.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I share in the frustration. We are doing the best we can in less than ideal circumstances.

To recap what we were told by Shildt most recently is that six of the 10, excepting Fernandez, have been approved (CMart, Sosa, Yadi, DeJong, Whitley, Ravelo). The last three (Dean, Helsley and Thomas) have not yet tested negative.

Sosa is the only one we were told was destined for Springfield. Others will follow, but not all of them. Some will skip that step, it appears, starting with Yadi expected to be activated tonight.

If someone else doesn’t ask the question first, I will ask Shildt for an update prior to the game tonight. That is about all we can do…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know he has options, but I think Dean might be an outright candidate. I would rather keep Nogowski or Ravelo on the 40 man roster for now.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With Fowler on the IL indefinitely, Shildt made this pregame comment…

“he has a couple of spots open, with four players competing”
    Thomas, O’Neil, Bader and Carlson – BW

So, “a couple” is two for me. Does this imply Edman has an OF spot locked down? Or am I misinterpreting?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Temporarily, but not permanently in the OF. Edman is playing every day. Mo confirmed that Carpenter is going to continue to play (see home page article).

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

OK, Edman and Carp playing every day. Well, that answers your articles question. Fine article too. thanks for the feedback.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It may answer what the Cardinals PLAN to do, but it does not change my feeling that it is not what they SHOULD do.

14NyquisT
    Participant

position players (on the 28-man roster)?

August 20, 2020 at 9:10 am#136005REPLY
    Brian Walton
    First shot. Agree or disagree?
    Molina
    Wieters

Goldy
    Wong
    DeJong
    Carp
    Edman
    Miller

O’Neill
    Bader
    Fowler
    Thomas
    Carlson

This means Ravelo could be lost to the organization as he has no options remaining. He is pushed off due to Carlson’s arrival. Or do you send Thomas down to get regular at-bats? With Carlson up, he essentially becomes the fifth outfielder.

Roster-wise Fowler going on the IL solves a few questions.

Carpenter continues to play due to the FO saying so. I would imagine that he gets the same treatment as Fowler…. he makes too much $$ to ride the pine although that’s where he belongs.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tidbits: last 7 days (8 games)

O’Neill had the same amount of PA’s as Fowler, 20. They both led the outfielders in PA’s (excluding Edman). I’d never had guessed that.

Bader and Thomas both have 11 PA’s and Carlson 18. Fowler led the outfielders with 6 GS, O’Neill and Carlson 5, Bader and Thomas 2 GS.

The team ops+ was 108

Miller, Fowler and Goldy all posted a 4-digit ops. Miller 1.301 (35 PA’s), Fowler 1.122 (20), Goldy 1.007 (32 PA’s).

DeJong 7 GS, 31 PA’s, 904 ops
    Molina 8 GS, and Edman 7 GS, both had 32 PA’s and a 840 ops
    Wong 6 GS, 28 PA’s, .732 ops
    O’Neil, 5 GS, 20 PA’s, .535 ops
    Carpenter started 7 of 8 games with 29 PA’s and a .363 ops.
    Carlson, 5 GS, 18 PA’s, .389 ops

Edman led the club w/a .367 BA
    Miller led OBP w/a .486, SLG% with .815 and 22 total bases
    ———-
    For the season:

Wong, batting leadoff has 101 PA’s and a very solid .360 OBP
    When swinging at the first pitch the club has a 116 ops+
    When taking the first pitch, 95 ops+
    On full count, 110 ops+

Up the middle, Wong, DeJong and Bader all have 0.5 WAR (BR)

14NyquisT
    Participant

There’s an article by J.P.Hill @ VEB on Tommy Edman. It sounds like it was written right here @ TCN.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2020/9/3/21418332/tommy-edman-outfield-player-profile

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.