Playoff Rotation/Roster

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Playoff Rotation/Roster

This topic contains 93 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since the Cards clinched at least some playoff spot yesterday in Chicago, I figured it would be worth discussing who we’d like to see in the rotation and roster for October. Obviously, whether that is (hopefully) for the NLDS or the Wild Card game remains to be seen.

Thoughts?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For some background, the projected starters the rest of the regular season

9/23-Waino
    9/24-Flaherty
    9/25-Wacha

9/27-Hudson
    9/28-Mikolas
    9/29-Waino

Wild Card game would be Oct 1. NLDS would start October 3 with games on the 4th, 6th, 7th and 9th.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

September Roster

C-Yadi, Wieters, Knizner, Hudson
    IF-Goldy, Ravelo, Wong, Dejong, Sosa, Edman, Carp, Muñoz
    OF-Fowler, Bader, Ozuna, Jmart, O’Neill, Arozarena

RHP-Flaherty, Hudson, Waino, Mikolas, Wacha, Cmart, Ponce, Leone, Helsley, Gallegos, Gant, Brebbia, Fernandez, Mayers
    LHP-Miller, Webb, Cabrera

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Lot’s can happen between now and then. Plus we don’t know the status of Wong until later in the week.

I would assume you’d like Flaherty and Mikolas as your starters in games 1 and 2 and Hudson and Waino in games 3-4.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think I would prefer Flaherty and Hudson to start on the road then have Mikolas and Waino do the home games.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Well by the numbers it’s pick you poison on the road. Figure you’d like you rookie in the home environment and your veteran starter on the road piggybacking Flaherty in game 2. Both have pretty bad road numbers. I’d trust Mikolas in that bandbox more than Hudson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here are the home/away ERA splits for 2019.

Flaherty: 2.55 home
    3.38 away

Hudson: 2.89 home
    4.13 away

Mikolas: 3.01 home
    5.40 away

Waino: 2.08 home
    6.03 away

Mikolas was good at Wrigley yesterday but for the most part has been very bad on the road this year. I can see your idea about Hudson’s lack of experience might play better at home though. It will be interesting assuming we nail the division down.

Oquendo11
    Participant

Free

Interesting, I’ll go with:

3-C-Yadi, Wieters, Knizner
    5-IF-Goldy, Wong, Dejong, Edman, Carp
    4-OF-Fowler, Bader, Ozuna, Jmart

10-RHP-Flaherty, Hudson, Waino, Mikolas, Wacha, Cmart, Helsley, Gallegos, Gant, Brebbia
    3-LHP-Miller, Webb, Cabrera

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the way you think, Oquendo. That would be close to what I’d like to see, but I suspect it won’t be quite that.

For the rotation, I like Flaherty starting Game 1, obviously. To me, Game 2 should either be Mikolas or Hudson. I’d go Miles for his veteran-iness. Then Waino Game 3. He’s so good at Busch and fits as a stopper or tie breaker. Then Hudson Game 4. He’s the rookie but I sense that he’s got ice in his veins. Then Flaherty in case of Game 5. The Braves, you assume, will go with Soroka, Kuechel, Teheran and one of Fried or Folty.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

C-Yadi, Wieters
    IF-Goldy, Wong, DeJong, Edman, Carp, Munoz
    OF-Ozuna, Bader, Fowler, JMart
    Starters- Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Waino (in that order)
    Relievers- CMart, Miller, Gallegos, Gant, Brebbia, Helsley, Wacha, Webb, Cabrera

Cards667
    Participant

Free

1. Fowler
    2. Wong
    3. Goldschmidt
    4. Ozuna
    5. DeJong
    6. Edman
    7. Molina
    8. Bader

Carpenter, Munoz, O’Neill, Martinez, Wieters

Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright

Martinez, Gallegos, Miller(L), Gant, Brebbia, Helsley, Webb(L), ???

I think I actually lean towards Fernandez for the 8th pen spot. Wacha isn’t a reliever. Cabrera hasn’t shown much. Poncedeleon hasn’t pitched since 9/7. I like Leone when he’s “on”, but that hasn’t been very often in 2019. Mayers hasn’t been getting outs, or game action in 2 weeks.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Will be interesting if Wong is ready for the postseason and how the pitching shakes out. I think you could make an argument with Ponce or Wacha being on the roster as a long man in case someone gets taken out early.

They need 2 lefties and unfortunately our options don’t give me much confidence outside of Miller.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Wong is back… who do you sit?

A. Carpenter
    B. Fowler
    C. Bader.

Edman (has to start) can start at 2B-3B-RF. Probably SS-LF-CF too.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

John Gant, from the start of the season until June 6: 32.2 IP, 4 ER (1.10 ERA), 35 K, 9 BB

John Gant, June 7-now: 32 IP, 23 ER (6.47 ERA), 22 K, 24 BB

I’m not sure he can really be trusted on the playoff roster. He hasn’t given up homers but that’s about all he’s done well.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NyQuist…if Wong is back, I’m probably sitting Bader against RHP and Carp against LHP. But I’d also not be afraid to pinch hit for Bader or Carp early if it matches up better. That’s why I’d like to see O’Neill on the roster, although he never plays so it seems unlikely.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

About bullpens, I have a theory. If you go to enough relievers during a game, you’ll likely get to one that won’t have it that day.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well since it appears we are facing a left hander the first game, I would start bader that game. now you can never tell with playoffs, sometimes your lesser players rise higher for a series than your regulars. so if bader does well in first game, I might stay with him but if he struggles, I might give carpenter a shot with edman moving to outfield. all predicated that wong is healthy and playing. I wouldn’t start carpenter cause I lean toward defense and I don’t think carpenter is offensively much better than bader at this point outside of maybe a given situation but I can understand why some would go with carpenter.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

If Wong is at 80% on Sunday, as he said, the extra 4 days should surely put him close to 100 percent.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1982willie said:

well since it appears we are facing a left hander the first game, I would start bader that game.

Bader vs. LHP this season: .177/.255/.385

Carpenter vs. LHP this season: .217/.343/.337

Wong vs. LHP this season: .288/.333/.405

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My Preferred Roster:

C-Yadi, Wieters
    IF-Goldy, Wong, Edman, Dejong, Carp
    OF-Ozuna, Bader, Fowler, Jmart, Arozarena

SP-Mikolas, Flaherty, Waino, Hudson
    RP-Cmart, Gallegos, Helsley, Brebbia, Miller, Webb, Fernandez, Ponce, Cabrera

I suspect that we will see Munoz rather than Arozarena and Gant will be there. I’m not sure who of the group of Fernandez, Cabrera and Helsley will actually be on the roster. I’d guess they’ll go with Helsley and Cabrera because he’s a lefty.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, given his almost non-existent usage, why do you consider Ponce de Leon a lock? Especially with nine relievers and all of the extra days off in the playoffs, having a traditional long man is not that important. My guess is that he is the one who will be out in favor of Gant (in your scenario).

I also agree with you about Munoz over Arozarena – in terms of what the team will likely do. Munoz appears to be the preferred shortstop reserve. Arozarena’s best hope would be if Wong is not ready. Even then, I am not sure he is ahead of O’Neill in the team’s pecking order.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25, given his almost non-existent usage, why do you consider Ponce de Leon a lock? Especially with nine relievers and all of the extra days off in the playoffs, having a traditional long man is not that important. My guess is that he is the one who will be out in favor of Gant.

Hmm. I suppose that’s a fair point. I was thinking with Wacha probably out (I think?) they’d go with Ponce. I’m not sure at all why he’s gotten so little run lately but it hasn’t been because he’s been bad. I felt like he could have been pretty useful for the team down the stretch. Maybe he was nicked up.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t understand the notion that because its a LHP Bader has to start. Bader’s starting regardless because the organization loves his defense and the pitchers like having him in CF. That’s it. If it had anything to do with stats, Arozarena would be getting starts in the OF against LHPs.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bader won’t be starting if Wong is ready. Edman will move to right and Fowler will shift to center.

skippy mckill
    skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

If Wong is back I would play Edman at third, Bader in CF and have MCarp on the bench. This team is built around pitching, defense and baserunning. MCarp might be a better pitcher than he is defensively or a baserunner, but I’d opt to keep him out of all three situations as much as possible. Good lefty bat off the bench.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years