mudville

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 3,444 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Chaim Bloom season wrap up press conference #319857
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think 2027 will be more of the same. Continue to make winning a team effort with a sort of ‘one for all, all for one’ way of playing. Give promising prospects a chance to show what they’ve got without rushing them and scaring them by demanding too much, too fast. Allowing coaches and trainers to give players the guidance that they need. Keep bringing talent into the organization.

    It’s kind of hard to describe because it is a philosophical thing. It’s more humane than just bellying up to the bar with a handful of cash like the Cubs did in putting together a team by spending 256M$. In a sense they are re-imagining how a baseball team is built and developed. I think the Brewers are pretty much doing this now. The Cardinals are doing it but their own way. If you like what’s going on, give Bloom credit. And give WDWJr credit, too. He hired Bloom.

    That’s just how I see it.

    in reply to: Jesus Baez #319811
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Thanks for watering down my post. I love the optimism that it opens up. I want to see Jesus Baez succeed as much as anybody.

    in reply to: 2026 Wild Card and Division Series thread #319803
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Cubs have the worst pitching in the game as indicated in a post by BW here at TCN. I can’t see them getting past the Padres.

    • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by mudville.
    in reply to: Jesus Baez #319802
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Matt Lane’s piece about Jesus Baez (passed along by Brian Walton) has to water down enthusiasm about Jesus Baez.

    in reply to: State of the Races #319714
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    1982 willie – All I can think to say isn’t ‘Yikes!’

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I wonder what Marmol’s rationale is for this lineup.

    Bernal’s throws to second base were excellent in last night’s game.

    in reply to: 2026 Recap – Has it been a success? #319682
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I agree with what you say about Burleson.
    But what do we do with Raniel Rodriguez who is reported, by some, to be the best prospect in the game. He has consistently hit, and hit some more. There seems to be a consensus that has anointed Bernal as our catcher going forward. Announcers Caray and Thompson commented that Bernal has the ‘it’ factor. Bernal was playing 1B against the Brewers last night. As for as I could tell, he did fine. As a catcher his throws have not been great. Agree that Burleson is exactly that type of player this organization was drooling to sign a couple of years ago.

    I’d say that this is a ‘choose your poison’ moment.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Brewers don’t pick high in the draft. Yet they come up with pitchers like Gasser, Henderson, and Misiorowski. Who in the Brewers organization has the magic touch?

    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by mudville.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by mudville.
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I never knew the Crew had jerseys with, ‘Wisco’, scribed across the front until tonight. Cool.

    McGreevy and the Cardinals down l-0 after the first inning. It took McGreevy a few pitches to warm up. But it looks like he’s on his game now.

    in reply to: How Many and Which Prospects Graduate in 2027? #319624
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’m not sure what I’m missing with regard to Nathan Church. I see a player that has excellent speed, gets very good reads, and then goes and catches the ball. Arm looks very good, also. I see a player who’s gradually improving, both defensively, and offensively, which is to say that he hasn’t reached his ceiling yet. It’s going to take a big bat to move him out of CF in the foreseeable future, IMO.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Sorry to hear about your loss, ATM.

    I’m also pulling for the Brewers to finally win a WS.

    in reply to: 2026 Recap – Has it been a success? #319610
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I agree that we need at least one or two star players like Walker appeared to be at the start of this past season. The only way to get that, IMO, is through bringing in a free agent or two. The Cardinals need a ‘face of the franchise’ type player.

    What are we going to do with Raniel Rodriguez?

    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by mudville.
    in reply to: How Many and Which Prospects Graduate in 2027? #319605
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Where do we put the prospects we have?
    As it stands now…..

    C – There’s a strong consensus that
    Bernal will remain at catcher.
    1B – Do we really want to start all over
    with Burleson doing so well?
    2B – Wetherholt for years to come come.
    SS – Winn lacks offense. He says he’s
    a pitcher at heart.
    3B – Jesus Baez is looking like heir
    apparent for now.
    LF – With the kind of success he had at
    AA and AAA, it’s too early to say
    he can’t hit.
    CF – Church is way better defensively
    than most centerfielders. And he still
    hasn’t hit his ceiling.
    RF – Walker would be very hard to replace,
    or very expensive to replace.

    So, where do we put the AA and AAA prospects?`

    in reply to: How Many and Which Prospects Graduate in 2027? #319566
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Do the Cardinals have too many prospects? That’s position players and pitchers. I don’t know where they’re going to put the ones they have. If Walker is going to fizzle out, they need a star player to replace him. The only way get a star player is through free agency, and that will cost big money. Then, what would they do with Walker? Trade him for prospects? Jesus Baez looks like he’s going to claim third base. It’s too early to give up on Josh Baez for left field. And ,then, there’s Raniel Rodriguez, reportedly, the best prospect in the game.

    Too much talent does not appear to be a good problem to have.

    I like Oli and how he managed all the young players trying to break into the big leagues. But he failed at managing Arenado, Gray, Contreras, Nootbaar, and maybe, Goldschmidt. And Bloom has got the Cardinals organization paying well over 50M$ for these players to play for other teams.

    in reply to: Former Cardinals in the News (new thread) #319560
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think Oli has done a very good job of bringing the rookies along. But I’m not confident that he could lead a team of veteran players. I think Yadi’s Cardinals HOF speech was cathartic for him. He let go of his emotional ties to his playing days. He looked really energized when he returned to the dugout after that HOF ceremony. Because of Yadi’s experience, intensity, and prestige, I think he will one day manage a major league team.

    in reply to: 2027 Rotation #319538
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    It was great to see Liberatore have such a good outing the last time out. Gives him something to hold onto during the offseason.

    It’s going to be interesting to see how the rotation gets sorted out during spring training with so many near ready prospects in camp.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I thought Walker was playing like the second coming of Barry Bonds at the start of the season. I bet he even surprised himself about how much he improved during the offseason.

    in reply to: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2024-2026 #319302
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    What I really meant is that I hate to see Burleson get traded. Bernal is our catcher going forward, IMO. So then, I don’t see another way to get Raniel Rodriguez into the lineup.

    in reply to: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2024-2026 #319295
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I hate to say it, but I could see Alec Burleson getting traded, Silver Slugger Award, and all. He’s up for arbitration in 2027, so he’s about to get expensive. Secondly, they have to find a place to play Raniel Rodriguez. Rodriguez has had a few AB’s at 1B.

    in reply to: Roster Matrix thread 2 #319040
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Bruihl has been getting better as he gets more work.

    Stanek has been reliable and still throws upper 90’s.

    Fernandez will likely be back for another look in 2027.

    All of the rest could be back, or be cut.

    in reply to: 2027 Rotation #319037
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Cardinals are so loaded with young talent. And their big league roster is almost full now. If you consider that Saggese or Jesus Baez look like they’re ready to handle 3B full time, the roster is definitely full now.

    in reply to: 2027 Rotation #319032
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    last Saturday was 9/12, not 9/09.

    in reply to: 2027 Rotation #319031
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Graceffo has improved his slider to where it looks unhittable. He was using it in the 7th and innings last Saturday might (9/9). With his other stuff, he could be a rotation piece in 2027.

    in reply to: Jesus Baez #318908
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    According to a report on Jesus Baez on the Cardinals MLB website, he has been worked out at 1B and at 3B. Suggese also has looked good at 3B this year.

    • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by mudville.
    in reply to: Cubs thread #318541
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Very interesting posts. Thank you.

    It’s also a good time to mention that the Cubs have that 256M$ payroll.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 3,444 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years