Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
May 21, 2026 at 9:30 am in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #49 thread – Thursday, May 21 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates #307906
The Brewers are a machine. Yes I know they haven’t won a world series but if that is the only way a franchise can be deemed a success that is a high bar. What they do on their payroll is amazing. Their torment of the Cubbies continues as they finished off the sweep at Wrigley last night. I know the Crew are a division foe of the Cards but there is something to the old saying of the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
1. Brewers 29-18
2. Cards 28-20 (1.5)
3. Cubs 29-21 (1.5)
4. Reds 26-24 (4.5)
5. Pirates 25-24 (5.0)Gags, I think all three of the players you mentioned, along with Herrera, Burly, and Winn should be long term Cardinals but there is still plenty of time to make that happen. The Cardinals are in a pretty good spot right now with all of the long term control they possess but without all of the long term payroll obligations.
In general I agree with that. I like going year to year because it provides motivation for the player to keep producing. I know that teams like cost certainty but that isn’t much of a benefit if production falls off a cliff.
You also have to really know the player because some will be able to handle their newfound prosperity better than others. Wetherholt strikes me as the type who would stay motivated even after getting the big contract but that is just a hunch.
It has been awhile since the Cardinals extended someone beyond their arb years but there are several candidates on this team to choose from to do that. Hopefully the team will choose wisely.
May 20, 2026 at 11:36 am in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #48 thread – Wednesday, May 20 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates #307812The Brew Crew continue to terrorize the Cubbies. Beat them again last night at Wrigley.
1. Brewers 28-18
2. Cards 28-19 (.5)
3. Cubs 29-20 (.5)
4. Reds 25-24 (4.5)
5. Pirates 24-24 (5.0)May 19, 2026 at 5:01 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #47 thread – Tuesday, May 19 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates #307756Hopefully not an IL visit.
#STLCards SS Masyn Winn is undergoing an MRI on the left knee pain that knocked him out of Sunday’s game, per Oli Marmol. The team is anxiously awaiting the results.
Winn rested on Monday and still felt pain on Tuesday. He is not in the lineup tonight vs. the #Pirates.
— John Denton (@JohnDenton555) May 19, 2026
May 19, 2026 at 9:35 am in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #47 thread – Tuesday, May 19 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates #307741The NLC standings are getting tight.
1. Cubs 29-19
2. Brewers 27-18 (.5)
3. Cards 27-19 (1.0)
4. Pirates 24-23 (4.5)
5. Reds 24-24 (5.0)As usual the Brew Crew are not going away. I think they are in the Cubs heads at this point and I love it.
I really don’t see how these “pre-agreement” agreements are legal. The whole international talent acquisition process is kind of slimy. There needs to be an international draft with age limits.
I’m not blaming the Cardinals because I am sure all teams do it but MLB and the MLBPA need to come up with a better system, assuming that either party even cares.
After viewing one of Brian’s pics from Spring Training a few months ago I made the comment that Cho now looked more like a grown man instead of a scrawny kid. I still have high hopes for him.
May 17, 2026 at 11:08 am in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #46 thread – Sunday, May 17 vs. Kansas City Royals #307668Hat tip to Oli or whoever it was to buy the tickets for the rowdy boys from Stephen F. Austin. Apparently the young Lumberjacks had traveled to Alton, IL for a baseball tournament and got to stop in at Busch. Yesterday they got to go into the clubhouse after the game. I really like this!
SFA club baseball + #STLCards
Masyn Winn told everyone to flex as hard as they can. pic.twitter.com/xWYaccedgd
— Brenden Schaeffer🎳 (@bschaeffer12) May 16, 2026
Free idea, Cardinals.
After the SFA boys inevitably return to Nacogdoches, the team could pivot by inviting various local college teams throughout the summer to ignite the energy at Busch.
Maybe make it a Friday night staple featuring a multitude of local athletes, who knows?
— Brenden Schaeffer🎳 (@bschaeffer12) May 17, 2026
May 16, 2026 at 12:20 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #45 thread – Saturday, May 16 vs. Kansas City Royals #307573I was thinking the same thing mike. I’m a little surprised they have Pages catching a day game after a night game. It would have been a good time to give Pozo a start.
Saggese really needs to get something going or he needs to go to Memphis. He has had a bad season. I have a lot more faith in Fermin as the UT guy. When Urias comes back they will have a decision to make. Same as when Noot comes back.
I agree with jnevel in that if the Cards are still in contention in mid-July they will probably stand pat. If they fall out of contention then they will obviously sell. I can’t envision a scenario in which they do much buying unless they see what they can get for Crooks. I think they will pretty much stick to the rebuild blueprint.
While I am very pleased and surprised at the results thus far one word of caution I would offer is that so far we have had almost no injuries at the big league level. Not one starter has missed a start and almost no position players have missed much except for Noot. Winn and Urias have missed a few games but not much. Is this really sustainable? We know that we don’t have a lot of proven big league depth right now so a few injuries to the wrong people could send us in a tailspin.
May 16, 2026 at 11:54 am in reply to: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2024-2026 #307567Yes they have been C27. It really comes down to how much do the Cardinals really want to win this year. Their public comments suggest that they are sticking to the blueprint of trying to acquire as much young talent as possible which would mean trading away older players. There are going to be some interesting decisions made if we keep winning.
May 15, 2026 at 3:39 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #44 thread – Friday, May 15 vs. Kansas City Royals #307485I expect tonight to be a difficult game. Michael Wacha is the best pitcher the Royals have. I hope the Cardinal bats are ready.
I totally agree forsch. Enough of the accounting tricks and shenanigans.
The CBT tax should be 100%. If you go $200M over the limit you have a $200M tax bill. It can be escalated for repeat offenders.
And each year you go over the limit you lose a draft pick starting with round 1. Repeat offenders lose additional picks.
Marmol has done a fine job. It also helps to have a smart front office and new investments in player development.
I can understand the desire for a salary cap and floor but I think it would be asinine to shut down part or all of the 2027 season in order to get it. That would destroy any momemntum MLB has achieved the last few years.
A more reasonable approach would be to keep the CBT but make the penalties more strict. Make the penalties hurt. If the Mets and Dodgers want to pay 200M or 300M in taxes each year and lose half of their draft picks let them do it.
This is what I posted in the Trade Thread about a week ago on the deadline subject:
Yeah the trade deadline is going to be interesting if we are still in contention for a playoff spot. Most likely the Cardinals will stick with their guns and do some selling but they might try to sell and buy at the same time.
Dustin May: He will likely be traded since he is a free agent to be.
Jo Jo Romero: Same as above.
Lars Nootbaar: He could be traded but then again they may wait until the offseason (after the lockout) in order for him to demonstrate he is fully recovered from his injury.
Riley O’Brien: This one could go either way. On the one hand he is cheap and under control for four more years so he could still be around when the team is ready to contend. On the other hand he is 31 and his trade value will probably never be higher. I am with C27 in that I would listen on him but it would have to be a very strong offer. If Edwin Diaz is still on the IL the Dodgers may be interested.
If the Cardinals try to buy some players I doubt they would go after any pending free agents but if someone is offering a young player with multiple years of control and at a positon of need they might listen.
Another possibility will be promotions from Memphis. It will be interesting to see how Baez, Torres, Crooks, Jordan, Mautz, Mathews, Dobbins, Hansen, Rajcic, and Gastelum are doing in mid-July.
I grew up with back of the bubblegum card stats and still refer to them often but there is no doubt the game has changed. Back in the 1980’s it was common to see between 20 to 30 MLB players hit .300 or better for the full season. Last year there were 7.
Anything above .275 is a good hitter now and .250 isn’t bad. JJ is curently at .235 but his OPS of .755 is not bad at all especially for a rookie. He has the 4th highest OPS on the team behind Walker, Herrera, and Burly.
Well I guess we have to have something to complain about. If I made a list of top problems with the Cardinals I am not sure if Wetherholt would crack the top 10.
May 9, 2026 at 2:09 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #39 thread – Saturday, May 9 at San Diego Padres #306991It will probably be at least two weeks before we see Noot in the STL lineup. I think he is eligible to come off of the 60 day IL around May 25. If he goes into LF and Church replaces Scott in CF I would think that would have to provide at least a marginal boost to the offense.
May 9, 2026 at 12:26 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #39 thread – Saturday, May 9 at San Diego Padres #306986The last update I read said Noot is supposed to start his rehab assignment one day this week, possibly Wednesday. I haven’t seen an update in several days though.
Lars Nootbaar To Begin Rehab Assignment Soon https://t.co/cQni5GkkIY pic.twitter.com/sJvFSish6X
— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) May 3, 2026
May 8, 2026 at 10:56 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #38 thread – Friday, May 8 at San Diego Padres #306953I also predicted that McGreevy would give us 6 quality innings. We can check that box off.
May 8, 2026 at 10:51 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #38 thread – Friday, May 8 at San Diego Padres #306951I just got home and see the Birds have a 6-0 lead and are threatening for more. I predicted Ivan to go 2-4 and I see he is already 4-4. Maybe he will have a 5 hit game.
Carter, you must live near New Mexico St. University. The Aggies. I have always wanted to visit that campus. I had a friend who went to school there.
May 8, 2026 at 3:37 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #38 thread – Friday, May 8 at San Diego Padres #306885I like the Cards chances in this one. I think McGreevy gives us 6 quality innings and Ivan the Terrible goes 2 for 4 with 3 RBI and Cards win 5-3.
Not sure what is for din-din tonight. Pizza night has been rescheduled for tomorrow night because we have to go to a graduation party tonight. Hopefully they have a nice buffet and hopefully I am back home by the third inning.
-
AuthorPosts
