David

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,349 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224614
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Maybe see how Walker would do in the lead off role. When my team is 27-42, losers of 5 straight… I feel I can make these type of Managerial decisions, lol. Go Cardinals!

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224612
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I’d like to see Gorman and Goldy switch places in the lineup.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224610
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Here’s an idea that may not be popular with Cardinals fans but just a thought.. what about resigning CMart. Not so much to be a starter or because I think he’s going to be dominant on the mound but more for the vocal clubhouse presence to light a fire under some of our young relievers in the bullpen and who knows, maybe CMart can recapture some of his glory days. After all , he’s only 31.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224607
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I know a lot of fans are calling for the firing of Marmol and I am one of them but I am curious to how many think we’d still be in the same position if we still had Albert and Maddux? Basically how much blame can we put on Blake for our poor pitching and how much blame can we put on Ward for our lack of clutch hitting? In other words, is it just a matter of patience while we wait for Blake and Ward to get established in their new roles or does the majority still fall on Marmol for his Managerial approach?

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224602
    David
    Participant

    Free

    To: 1toughdominican. I agree you have to do it behind closed doors if you are questioning a players hustle or performance. Calling them out for the world to see.. to use as incentive to bring up their avg or lower their era is not a good approach. Sometimes just having the extra hitting or pitching session is and work on some Mechanics is the way to go. I remember back in 85, John Tudor started the season 1-7, he made some adjustments to his delivery and finished the season going 20-1 with I believe 10 shutouts..and would have won the cy young if it weren’t for Gooden.. and if I remember correctly… Vince Coleman struggled a bit to begin the season but then finished strongly breaking a rookie record for stolen bases, and ended up with a respectable 285 average and rookie of the year honors.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224597
    David
    Participant

    Free

    To: gscottar- point made about the Mets and Padres managers and their lack of teams production. I think in those cases… it’s more about dealing with a bunch of egos and players who have the answers and don’t want to be managed. I don’t see that being an issue with our team. No matter how much talent the team has or how distinguished the manager…it’s just not a good fit sometimes. If Bochy were the manager of the Mets or Padres, I think they’d still have the same record. There are some managers good at handling all the egos but there are some that just want to manage players who actually want to be managed and not deal with all the BS.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #70: Friday, June 16 at Mets #224583
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I still believe getting rid of Marmol is the the only change needed. I just don’t think they like playing for him or respect him.. and last year was more about Yadi and Albert and not so much that Marmol was a good manager. The approach of challenging players, questioning their hustle, along with being benched because they didn’t run hard to first might have worked in the 50’s. I don’t see any changes being made until next season. Unfortunately this means the fans suffer and I don’t see any change happening until next season.. I don’t agree with all these changes need to be made. For example… if you were to switch only the managers from St.Louis & Texas, would both teams still be where they’re at? Not fair to use a 3x WS winner… how about Yadi? Would we still be the same team? Same record?
    In response to Rats question. As much as I’d like for them to be closer…. I don’t think they’ll have 40 wins by the All star break.
    For tonight’s game if they get it in, I am predicting a 7-4 Cardinals victory. Mikolas will take a 5-1 lead into the 6th. After giving up 2 hits along with recording 2 outs, Marmol calls for a relief pitcher who gives up a 3 run homer. Fortunately… we add a 2 run homer in the 8th and surprisingly close it out with a 1-2-3 9th.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #69: Wednesday, June 14 vs. Giants #224499
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I think it was more wanting to send Yadi and Albert off on a good note.. maybe they should take the same approach with Waino this year.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #69: Wednesday, June 14 vs. Giants #224493
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Lack of passion and belief in your team. I feel that after the 5th inning, if the starter gives up a hit… he’ll be pulled but Marmol has to ask himself.. what gives my team the best chance of winning? Bringing in a relief pitcher from an inconsistent bullpen or keeping my starter in and seeing if he can get thru this? And speaking of no passion, did you see the other night when Contreras said he was hit on the foot; but the umpire disagreed and the next pitch was a called 3rd strike right down the middle. My question is why didn’t Marmol at least back his player up?

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #69: Wednesday, June 14 vs. Giants #224464
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I know some people say.. how does firing Marmol help our star hitters get that big 2 out hit or help out pitchers make that quality pitch with 2 on 2 out? Simple answer..they’d try harder for a manager they’d like. I’m not saying they don’t try but you can tell their approach to the AB is whatever, compared to last year when it was Yadi and Alberts last year… there was that extra oomph. There is none of that this year.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #69: Wednesday, June 14 vs. Giants #224456
    David
    Participant

    Free

    In an MVP season, Goldy batted 3rd all year. Why the change? Here’s the line up I’d go with.
    Vs LHP. VS RhP
    Walker LF Nootbaar CF
    Edman 2B. Gorman. 2B
    Goldy. 1B. Goldy. 1B
    Nado 3B. Nado. 3B
    Gorman DH. Walker. Lf
    Contreras C Burelson Rf
    Nootbaar CF Donovan. DH
    Carlson RF. Contreras C
    DeJong SS Edman. SS

    What do you think?

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #69: Wednesday, June 14 vs. Giants #224448
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Forget the bad breaks and lack of clutch hits, I don’t recall ever a Cardinals team having such a whatever approach to every game, nor our pitchers consistently missing location night after night.

    in reply to: Juan Soto trade thread #193593
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Padres just increased their odds to win the World Series because they acquired Soto….according to the Caesar Sports book. Just curious…. What the odds were last year after the deadline when the Dodgers attained Scherzer and Turner as oppose to the Braves who attained Pederson and Rosario.

    Angels spent a lot to get Ohtani; team him with Trout and eventually add Rendon. Clearly with all that money spent on talented players… surely it’s resulted in a championship? No.. okay, but they’ve at l ast made the playoffs…

    My point is depleting your farm system and spending money doesn’t always equal a championship.

    in reply to: Jose Quintana Traded to the Cards #193572
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Winning Championships is all about the
    Chemistry of the team. And the trade deadline isn’t about getting the best available player or spending the most money, it’s about what’s best for your team and giving your team the best opportunity to hoist the trophy in October.

    in reply to: Juan Soto trade thread #193569
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I am glad that we did not spend the money nor deplete our farm system for one man. Does anyone know who we were offering in a possible trade or who the Nats wanted from us. All I heard was Carlson.

    in reply to: Managerial Candidates – Who You Like? #175319
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Mike Scioscia
    Brad Ausmus
    Terry Pendleton
    Walt Weiss

    in reply to: So what are we going to do? #175012
    David
    Participant

    Free

    If we can… go after Story. I’m sure Nado has already mentioned to him what it’s like to play for the Cardinals and when people say that Cardinals fans are the best… it’s not just saying. Not sure what our Budget is like but if we can afford Story and Scherzer… I’d like to go that route while giving some of our younger players some AB and innings just to get their feet wet a little.

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #175011
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Whoever is hired as Cardinals manager will be fortunate as they will already have a Championship caliber team which we had last season but didn’t have the right leadership. If you look back at our 17 game win streak in September… can anyone think of a game that the streak was extended because of late inning managerial move.

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #175010
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I know it’s a lot easier to play manager on the couch but I’d be interested to know what some managers current and past would have done if they were given the same in game scenario as Shildt was. I understand a manager gets a feel and it doesn’t always work out but it seemed a lot of times… Shildt would PH Carp or whomever early in the game not so much because he thought the SP was losing it but as a way of trying to build confidence and rolling the dice that way. I think that’s why he brought Reyes in. I don’t think he had a feeling. I think the decision was more based on hope much like many Cardinals fans watching. Am I the only one who was thinking wtf is he doing? Is Hudson or Flaherty not available? I kept thinking of the Walk off GS he gave up to Pittsburgh and Milwaukee but still I was hoping he’d get this one out.

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #175000
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I don’t know if he’s a candidate but when watching Cardinals games this year… I got the feeling at times Edmonds was applying for the manager position but he could have just been doing his job as the baseball analysis.

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #174998
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Going back to the decision to bring Reyes in… I’d have been more understanding to Schildts decision if he started the inning with Reyes. I am unaware of the stats but it seemed that Reyes did better at starting an inning as opposed to coming in with runners on.?

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #174996
    David
    Participant

    Free

    At many times during the season.. Shildt would manage with his heart which did not always give the Cardinals a best chance of winning. Example.. up by a run in the 5th and we have 2 on and 2 out…. Sending up a sub 200 hitter. Even if Carp gets a hit… you’re still asking the BP who was struggling to hold a 3 run lead for 4innings at best. Alternative decision… you let the pitcher bat… you save a ph and you save the bullpen. Does anyone see where I’m coming from with this?

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #174972
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I can only assume they have somebody in mind to replace Shildt… and I have a feeling it’s within the organization or someone who has ties to it. Just my opinion.

    in reply to: Shildt Fired #174969
    David
    Participant

    Free

    I am pleasantly surprised. I have not been a Shildt supporter and was worried that because of our late surge in September that we’d keep him but I think upper management realized that we could not go through another season like that because we’re not always going to go on a 17 game win streak in September. I think what ultimately did it was Shildt managed with his heart.. bringing Reyes in a tie game with your season on the line knowing his struggles and you have Hudson and Flare available was not a great managerial decision. This is a great day for CARDINALS BASEBALL.

    in reply to: 2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD #174609
    David
    Participant

    Free

    Virtual hug for Reyes. Proud of this team.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,349 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years