Managerial Candidates – Who You Like?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Managerial Candidates – Who You Like?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish whitey was coming back to town now.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I still think a wild card candidate, not on any of our radars, may exist. Looking at this myopically though, how could Oliver J. Marmol not be the choice? If I were laying down the odds on the next manager of the St. Louis Cardinals, Marmol would have to be hands down the leading candidate.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You know Pugsley you may have something. Shildt certainly gave him a strong parting endorsement.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Padres hire Shildt, I think there’s a high probability that Marmol follows him out to San Diego.

bccran
    Participant

Marmol? Lol.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am sure Shildt will be tempted by San Diego considering the amount of talent on that roster and the beautiful weather in the area, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he had a real fondness for the Baltimore Orioles. Maybe it was because he admired Earl Weaver. They don’t have a managerial opening right now but probably should.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

If I were Shildt I would wait to see if the Orioles job opens. They have a lot of good prospects coming up and it seems they could be getting better. The Padres clubhouse is tough I would stay clear. But it will depend which challenge is more appealing fixing the Padres or developing the Orioles.

David
    Participant

Free

Mike Scioscia
    Brad Ausmus
    Terry Pendleton
    Walt Weiss

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Mike Scioscia is a name I havent heard yet. And one I had forgotten about.

David’s list of those four are way better than other candidates that I have seen.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marmol? Lol.

Glad I could provide a bit of amusement for you, Cranny. We’ll see who’s laughing when Oliver J. Marmol is named the (? 36th Cardinal manager?)……how many skippers have we had?

bccran
    Participant

David – That’s really intriguing list.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

bccran, serious question, why do you not like Marmol?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, you are right about that Baltimore team. While Baltimore isn’t a great long term team but they could be really good for a few years. In a tough division though.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It’s Clapp, Marmol, Schumaker. That is pretty much the 3. Holliday might be the dark horse. IMO.

And as far as Pop goes. If they hire outside of the organization you need a sacrificial lamb for the new coach. I’d say he an Mcgee would be the 2 on the block.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gscottar, you are right about that Baltimore team. While Baltimore isn’t a great long term team but they could be really good for a few years. In a tough division though.

Very true. The AL East is brutal but the Orioles have a lot of tradition also. With the right manager and a little support from ownership I could see them getting back to their winning ways. It would be a good spot for Shildt.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s Clapp, Marmol, Schumaker. That is pretty much the 3. Holliday might be the dark horse. IMO.

And as far as Pop goes. If they hire outside of the organization you need a sacrificial lamb for the new coach. I’d say he an Mcgee would be the 2 on the block.

Pretty much spot on 858. Those are probably the top 3 candidates, although my dark horse is Beltran.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

As long as Skip does not undo-redo his wrist bands several times when he comes out to change pitchers, I am okay with him. He drove me nuts as a player doing that, so I don’t need to see any more of it as a skipper.

Hey, “Skip the Skipper”, or “Skipper Skip”. Sounds like a natural. He seems like a Craig Counsell type. Guess that is natural since they played the same position.

Nate, why do you think the list is the “sorriest” you have ever seen. Looks like some excellent baseball men there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Craig Counsell is a good comparison. I could also see Skip being similar to Gabe Kapler.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think Skip Schumaker is the likely choice of the known candidates.

bccran
    Participant

How much actual managerial experience does Skip have?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Schumaker has 4 years of experience…all at the Major League level with the Padres.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Skip has never managed anywhere, which bccran surely knew when he asked the question. Being second in command is his only coaching experience, which Marmol has, plus more.

Marmol managed five years in the minors and has five years on an MLB staff.

Stubby managed four years in the minors and spent four other years as a hitting coach. He has three more years on an MLB staff.

The experience level difference is considerable, IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Okay its agreed….. Schumaker or Clapp.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who are you agreeing with? Yourself?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Surely after the philosophical differences Mo will want someone he is very familiar and comfortable with. Someone with intimate knowledge of the system and who is known to be all in. That would rule out Shumaker since he has not been with the organization for 10 years. I get that he was and is popular and a great guy. I also think Marmol is handicapped by having been so tight with Shildt. It is hard to expect that they were not like minded.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years