Shildt Fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Shildt Fired

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Wow, didn’t see that coming, but good for the long term outlook of the team. Shildt is not a manager who gets the most out his players like LaRussa could. After complaining for the last few years about his questionable moves, I’m glad to see the change, but on a personal level I hope he lands on his feet with another good team. He’s forgotten more about baseball than most of us will ever know, and his active presence will benefit the game. Will be very interesting to see who the team considers to replace him, and I’d like to see a manager whose top priority is winning, and player development second.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

1946, I think you pulled your list right out of my brain. I agree with the names and switch Cairo and Oquendo and you have my order of preference.
    Edit: 46’s list on previous page.
    My preferred order: Clapp, Schumaker, Miguel Cairo, and Oquendo.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Skip is well regarded in the San Diego organization. The thought crossed my mind but the issue becomes he was under a guy who lost control and some respect in his clubhouse.

If this is over Albert then both parties are morans. As proven in the TLR era. Hitting coaches are a dime a dozen and it was clear that Albert was in over his head most of his tenure so far.

We all know what Bowtie wants more than all others when it comes to his managers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

David
    Participant

Free

At many times during the season.. Shildt would manage with his heart which did not always give the Cardinals a best chance of winning. Example.. up by a run in the 5th and we have 2 on and 2 out…. Sending up a sub 200 hitter. Even if Carp gets a hit… you’re still asking the BP who was struggling to hold a 3 run lead for 4innings at best. Alternative decision… you let the pitcher bat… you save a ph and you save the bullpen. Does anyone see where I’m coming from with this?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Needed to happen. Hope they hire a great replacement.

David
    Participant

Free

Going back to the decision to bring Reyes in… I’d have been more understanding to Schildts decision if he started the inning with Reyes. I am unaware of the stats but it seemed that Reyes did better at starting an inning as opposed to coming in with runners on.?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Putting Reyes in during the wild card game was about as bad of a move as I can remember.

It was easy to say this at the time due to emotions, but I still feel the same way now. I wonder if the firing happens if Shildt doesn’t put in Reyes and the Cards advance. That alone wouldn’t classify as “philosophical differences,” but I wonder. Not all mistakes are equally forgivable.

David
    Participant

Free

I don’t know if he’s a candidate but when watching Cardinals games this year… I got the feeling at times Edmonds was applying for the manager position but he could have just been doing his job as the baseball analysis.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

858. Mark McGwire once said something that changed the way I look at hitting coaches. If you make the big leagues you know how to hit. To me being a hitting coach top priority is make sure you understand pitcher scouting report and help hitter when in slump. Felt like Albert has been my way or the highway kind of coach.
    Tony Larussa told McGwire about being hitting coach, “When La Russa hired McGwire, he told him the hitting coach must be a psychologist, figuring out how to pump up players who may be struggling.”
    The McGwire philosophy can be summed up in three sentences. See the ball. Only swing at pitches you can handle. And use your head.
    “If you’re trying to swing at pitches you can’t hit, you think there’s something wrong with you mechanically,” he said. “Their mind’s going to the mechanics when it’s one little simple thing.
    “So I try to have them understand, there are balls you can’t hit no matter how great you are. Everybody has a weakness. As soon as you understand that, you can switch it mentally.”
    Freese, a right-handed batter, said McGwire urged him to use his left arm more instead of relying on his top hand to generate power, leading to three postseason home runs. Mainly, though, McGwire helped Freese study pitchers and stay confident.
    “He’s helped me a lot,” Freese said. “Hitting is kind of simple. You look for good pitches to hit, try and take the pitches that you don’t want to hit. If you overcomplicate things, that’s when you’re going to get in trouble, and that’s what Big Mac helps you with.”

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If only he had won that 18th game……things may have been completely different for our skipper. If just one of our boppers had come through in the Dodger game and we had advanced and then lost to SF, I wonder if he still would have met a similar fate? My guess is that this runs pretty deep and he still would have been shown the door. But if Shildt had won it all this year…….we most assuredly would have been stuck with the guy. My guess is that he’ll land on his feet and join the cub organization in some capacity.

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

MrPerkins, I’d honestly be ok with any of those 4 regardless of order. Biggest thing for me with secret weapon has been does he still want the job. Since he works with the minor league players he might enjoy that other then the everyday job of being a manager and the stress that comes with it.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I was not among those calling for Shildt’s head, but I’m glad about this. He made a lot of what appeared to be knuckleheaded moves which to the non-professional seemed irritating, though not necessarily fatal. Guess that’s why I’m not a professional.

JLaf
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so, if the philosophical differences relate to confidence in the pipeline or not….did schildt want to go out and find a replacement for Yadi from outside the org, or go for FA pitchers, or just what was the trigger. Anyone care to speculate?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

So they have decided to get serious about winning after all. He shouldn’t have been hired full time in the first place, but there is no doubt he should have been fired when he put Goldschmidt in the two hole in the order. That was a clown move. This is long overdue no matter if he made the playoffs or not.

David
    Participant

Free

I know it’s a lot easier to play manager on the couch but I’d be interested to know what some managers current and past would have done if they were given the same in game scenario as Shildt was. I understand a manager gets a feel and it doesn’t always work out but it seemed a lot of times… Shildt would PH Carp or whomever early in the game not so much because he thought the SP was losing it but as a way of trying to build confidence and rolling the dice that way. I think that’s why he brought Reyes in. I don’t think he had a feeling. I think the decision was more based on hope much like many Cardinals fans watching. Am I the only one who was thinking wtf is he doing? Is Hudson or Flaherty not available? I kept thinking of the Walk off GS he gave up to Pittsburgh and Milwaukee but still I was hoping he’d get this one out.

David
    Participant

Free

Whoever is hired as Cardinals manager will be fortunate as they will already have a Championship caliber team which we had last season but didn’t have the right leadership. If you look back at our 17 game win streak in September… can anyone think of a game that the streak was extended because of late inning managerial move.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was surprised when I heard this. Now I think the decision to bring Reyes in in a winner take all game late with score close is one of the worst moves ever but I don’t think that had anything to do with this. They say philosophical differences but not sure what that means. Hopefully schildt will get his chance to speak. I mean why can’t they just say exactly what it was. Apoareny the team had no intention of extending him so it does make sense to let him go. I just wish they would get rid of the horrible excuse for a hitting coach we have. When guys have to go outside the organization to get hitting help, it isn’t good. I think Maddox is fine though he needs to do better so he has a short leash. In the end I was surprised shildt was fired but neither happy or disappointed really. Hopefully the next guy keeps things going though I still would like to know more about these differences.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt must not have mindlessly followed wherever Mo led mindlessly enough. I doubt any outsider with any amount of heft would accept not being able to name his coaching staff. Surely it will be an in house toady. The toadier the better.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Shildt must not have mindlessly followed wherever Mo led mindlessly enough

My thoughts exactly! No matter the manager there is always going to be fans questioning every move. When they work we love them, when they don’t they are bone heads anybody is better than. For 16 years people question TLR and why he played the veterans and didn’t give the young guys a chance, why he loved Aaron Miles (no disrespect to Miles, just an obvious one I remember about playing his boys), questioned a lot of everything he did. But all in all he won and all was forgiven no matter the heat fans used to give. And some players to an extent, but they all knew their place and what it took to play. Matheny was questioned over pen usage the most I remember. All I’m saying is no matter who is in there questionable decisions will be made, we don’t know everything behind the scenes, but I’ll be willing to say for a manager who did really well taking over for Matheny and now made the playoffs 3 straight years, there is definitely something behind the scenes and major head butting with Mo over something.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I want to hear what the “philosophical differences are”? Too generic for me. I thought Shildt was a good manager.

bccran
    Participant

The Cardinals are trying to move to a much more technical approach. Shildt is old school. Albert won the battle for the favor of Mo and Girsch.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

For me this is nowhere near a championship caliber team. This is a second tier team that does not stand up to the top tier teams in the league. Schildt wanted to go out and get “real” talent, spend money and trade prospects for proven talent. The business model for Junior and Mo is to use minor league talent. That is the philosophical difference. So, Schildt is fired because he dared to argue with them. He’s right and they are wrong but who is King? Thats right and Schildt was shown the door. Too bad actually, because junior’s business model will always breed an average team and nothing better. I wasn’t a Schildt fan or a detractor but the next guy will be a lapdog so they can keep their job. That doesn’t promise well.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

mspaid that is the downside here. Looks like we won’t be doing much shopping. That is what happened in the 70’s. Save money, keep a good enough team to draw the fans in. Guess we will see.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Shildt was a good manager. I liked the way he would pull a reliever when that reliever started to get in trouble, rather than leave him in long enough to put the game out of reach. Sometimes I thought TLR left a failing reliever in the game just to punish him for not getting the outs he was supposed to get.

I could sit here and conjure up explanations
    for why he was ‘dismissed’. But I might not get close with even one of them. That said,
    calling on Reyes in the bottom of the ninth was beyond stupid. It’s almost like some form of sabotage. If Shildt had used any reliever besides Reyes, things might have turned out differently.

I like Shildt. I like his backstory. I look forward to one, or more, of the journalists who are birddogging this case to unravel the truth and reveal it.

Something about this suggests Shildt might have stepped on WDWJ toes somewhere along the line.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years