Managerial Candidates – Who You Like?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Managerial Candidates – Who You Like?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I know we have a thread about Shildt being fired but I thought it would be a good idea to now begin discussing the selection process for our next manager we well as everyone’s thoughts on who it should be and who it will be. So, having said that…….

1) Do we have a frontrunner?
    2) What should we be looking for?
    3) Qualifications?
    4) Who are the candidates?
    5) Who has applied?
    6) Who has not applied?

Any and all input would be welcome.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the candidates are Schumaker, Clapp, Marmol, and Beltran. There could be others.

I would be fine with Schumaker or Clapp. Veteran guys like Bochy or Showalter would bring credibility but it is obvious the Cardinals aren’t going that route. They want a younger guy who is ready to embrace analytics.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Front runner as in who we would like to see, or as in who BDW and Mo seem likely to choose based upon whatever we know or think likely?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good idea, Rats. Repeating this from the other day.

MP415d
    Participant

Free

My preference is Showalter but that is not going to happen.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t understand why Clapp would be the front runner and Warner is not mentioned at all.

1982 willie
    Participant

Out of that group above, bochy would be great but don’t see it happening. McGwire would be interesting. I just don’t think he would follow in line with front office.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

McGwire doesn’t set a particularly good example.

bccran
    Participant

My favorite is Stubby. He knows the players well and how the system works. Not a fan of Marmol at all.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Would Schumaker be the leading candidate for the Padres job?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Shildt had a clique Marmol was in it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think our next manager is even listed on Brian’s odds board. Put your thinking caps on, gang.

1982 willie
    Participant

What bad example does McGwire set.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I do not think Schumacher is the leading candidate for the Padres. They just dismissed an inexperienced manager who supposedly lost the clubhouse. I think they will hire a more experienced manager this time.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Stubby did a great job at AAA and seems to be a player’s manager, but not a guy that would be walked on. He also appears to know how to best utilize what he’s got. Plus the club seems to have been grooming him. I thought his time was a few years away, but the just might be now.

But then that is how it goes in sports. The best player on the team is the back-up quarterback. The best manager is the guy behind the guy doing the actual managing.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see Shumaker as a likely candidate. He came in under Jockety and hasn’t been with the organization for 10 years. If we go with a first time manager it would be a current employee I think. Somebody in lockstep with Albert and all in with the program.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Espada is interesting, as Houston is analytics driven. Puerto Rican, which Yadi has already said would be a good thing.

Possible negatives, Astros bench coach starting in 2017, what did he know with the Bang on the Drum All Day scandal? Does he get along with Albert?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

That is the most anemic list of potential managers I have ever seen in my life. If the mananger really matters then the Cardinals are already in trouble for 2022.

Pork Twain
    Participant

I would like for Stubby or Skip to get the shot.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I would bet the decision has already been made or is down to two.

There may be some internal positioning and smoothing out going on to make sure the staff and players are in lock step. They need to know if there is anyone else they need to get rid of.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I like me as the next manager, but I feel me and Mo would butt heads too.

In all seriousness though, I think Skip is the guy who will get it. Comes from a very analytical team in the Padres and knows the organization very well. I think as much good as we’ve always heard about Stubby he’s to much like Schildt for them to put him in there.

On a side note I met Skip one time when he was playing. Really nice guy. He’s not 5’10” though, or I’m taller than 5’11”. I also worked a year in minor league baseball in 2006. Met the Palm Beach team and got to sit and hang with them a few times. Talked the big club and many things and when Skip was talked about nobody had a bad thing to say about him and it was always how hard he worked, always made me root for him more.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I would like to see someone that is more of a disciplinarian. Skip is a nose to the grindstone type. He might be the best choice working with the younger guys.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The more and more I read about all of this and who might be our next manager the more and more I appreciate the comment in Jack Buck’s book about the 1980 Cardinals.

Jack Buck was talking about how the players were running all over Ken Boyer and taking advantage of things. That was part of the reason the Redbirds werent winning. Jack’s final comment in that chapter was this:

“All of that was about to change. Whitey Herzog was coming to town…”

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am leaning towards Skip myself. He seems to have the “it” factor which is hard to explain.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.