Shildt Fired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Shildt Fired

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought the winning streak saved his job. Now who are good managerial candidates?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards667
    Participant

Free

John Mozeliak told reporters the organization made the decision based on “philosophical differences” between Shildt and the front office about the direction of the franchise.

I’d love to know more detail about it.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Wow glad to see it but shocked by it!

David
    Participant

Free

I am pleasantly surprised. I have not been a Shildt supporter and was worried that because of our late surge in September that we’d keep him but I think upper management realized that we could not go through another season like that because we’re not always going to go on a 17 game win streak in September. I think what ultimately did it was Shildt managed with his heart.. bringing Reyes in a tie game with your season on the line knowing his struggles and you have Hudson and Flare available was not a great managerial decision. This is a great day for CARDINALS BASEBALL.

Jbrodie7
    Participant

Free

Yea i didnt expect that but not too upset… yet

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I am not glad to see it. Need further clarification.

David
    Participant

Free

I can only assume they have somebody in mind to replace Shildt… and I have a feeling it’s within the organization or someone who has ties to it. Just my opinion.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would call this a shocking move. Something must have happened behind the scenes because a 17 game winning streak usually cures all ills.

Will Stubby Clapp be the likely replacement?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I think it is shocking also. Injuries to the starting pitching staff were the reason we didn’t win more than 90 games, not Shildt.

CarolinaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hate this decision. Will hate it less if we hire Oquendo.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Same thoughts here. I am surprised, but okay with it. Shildt has never been a particularly good “X’s and O’s” guy in my opinion. Did not like his lineup construction and felt he used too many pitchers.

But it did seem that the club had a strong clubhouse and chemistry.

Nice opportunity for someone to come in. I would love to have Buddy Black as manager, but am not sure of his contract situation. My guess is the Rox have him locked up.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Oquendo should get a shot. Can’t be any worse than they have been throwing out there. It will be interesting to see who gets in line. Maybe Dewitt is serious about winning after all.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Surprised at this as well. Made it to the playoffs all three years. Got to the NLCS his first year. Made one huge – AND I MEAN HUGE – blunder by bringing in Reyes.

Oquendo and Clapp are presumably the leading candidates. However, I am not too high on either one of them.

Are there any big names out there that currently are not managing?

Word on the street is that Bochy is considering a return to San Diego.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yadi as player-manager? Not a serious thought, but it would generate a lot of headlines.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I am overjoyed.

I can easily think of 15-20 knuckleheaded Shildt moves during his tenure — I mean, moves that other managers do not make, ever. Some of the moves undermined team success, and some of them undermined player health. For example, basics like batting order composition and giving players occasional days off, were both seemingly beyond Shildt’s capabilities. After four years he wasn’t improving one jot in these matters.

But this is still surprising, given how well the club played down the stretch. Very glad to see it, though. Stubby Clapp has a resume vastly superior to Shildt’s when Shildt took over.

So I say give Stubby a shot.

jim
    Participant

Free

So he was pretty much + 20 games over .500 every year ( covid excluded ) and all the blown saves should have won near 100. Who should have saved those games?

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Perhaps this is our “BIG MOVE” for this offseason…hope we get someone good…

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Francona? Bochy?

Bochy said he’d be interested in a job and Francona just stepped down in July I think from the Indians.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Putting Reyes in during the wild card game was about as bad of a move as I can remember.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

lol Philosophical differences that came up recently. Reyes maybe?

I mean I don’t love the man but he was deserving of at least a year extension. Maybe he thought he deserved more.

The Bochy rumor is just smoke. He already said 2 days ago he hasn’t been contacted and all the Padres have done is do a background on him and a couple other guys. Ron Washington is still the lead guy but that can obviously change if they get antsy.

I can’t see them hiring outside the organization unless the dewitt’s demand it and it better be a slam dunk hire. My guess is it’s Clapp. I mean maybe Oquendo but he’s had some body ailments and seems to like his role in Florida.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How old is Herzog?

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

Willing to bet this is over Jeff Albert.
    Top 4 Stubby Clapp, Skip Schumaker, Jose Oquendo, Miguel Cairo,
    Jeff Passan mentioned Matt Holliday, but that seems like a Mike Matheny kind of hire

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

If they plan on bringing the remaining staff back, it probably wasn’t over loyalty to a coach.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years