Jose Quintana Traded to the Cards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jose Quintana Traded to the Cards

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we’d have been more excited about it many years ago, but he’s having a decent year this year.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Reported trade of Oviedo and Nunez for Quintana.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Shouldn’t cost much in prospect capital. Typical Cardinals trade move for this time of year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo and Nunez would be a pretty penny for a rental pitcher who’s not been very good save for one half a year in quite a while. I’m hoping it’s a little lighter than that.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Agree STL. I’ve like Oviedo for a while. Not as familiar with Nunez but se swwm to like him.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Agree 25. Either one maybe but both?

KylMss
    Participant

Free

I don’t think it’s a massive issue, as I think Oviedo has limitations and Nunez profiles as a guy who can’t really play defense anywhere other than maybe 1B. Right-handed hitting 1B only types need to hit a ton to have any value and those guys don’t come around very often.

That said, Jose Quintana could have been signed in the off-season. He signed with Pittsburgh on a 1-year, $2 million contract and now the Cardinals are sending two young players to them for a player who was signed on the cheap. This wouldn’t upset me as much if Mo wasn’t wasting money and roster spots on guys like Drew VerHagen, who is making $2.5 million this season and $3 million next and can’t compete in the big leagues or TJ McFarland, who is making $2.5 million this year. This is a bad cycle for a GM/VP of Baseball Operations to be following, chasing bad moves with more money and prospects.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Quintana has a very important quality, the ability to stay healthy and stay in the rotation.

Gagliano
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does securing an arm tonight reduce the pressure to do another pitching deal tomorrow so that the price of another target drops? Does getting a pitcher as a rental free them up to spend on a splashy position player?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Would this allow them to use Liberatore out of the bullpen with his 95-96 MPH fastball and help him learn how to get outs in pressure situations? Quintana becomes the lefty starter in the rotation amd Libby is depth and a bullpen piece. Just a thought.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I second everything Kylmss said. Quintana is fine. Heck he is certainly better than Matz. But he and other pitchers could have been signed in the winter without giving up prospects. Getting Oviedo and Nunez is not a bad haul for the Pirates.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Don’t mind it at all. I agree with the fact he was available for $2 million in the off season and Mo spent money on VerHagen and McFarland. But Oviedo is easily replaced. Nunez is blocked and 5’11”, limited to 1B, needs added to the 40 man or exposed to rule 5. He could bite them, but I don’t mind it. BTV had Oviedo at 0 and Nunez at 1.5. Quintana at 2.5.
    They need more. Probably another SP and definitely a RP and get McFarland out of the pen.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Standing alone this looks like a decent deal for the reasons pointed out by several other posts. Mo may have got the club a quality starter on the cheap if Q can continue to pitch well. Having said that, his job is not done here IMO.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Stratton in the deal too.

And just to further my point on what I was saying about Nunez. I would compare him to Michael Chavis, who PIT has, he could become more and bite, but I’ll take my chances he won’t.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That makes it look better.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was guessing Nunez and Zach Mills so I can get behind this. You don’t want a 1st baseman that is only 5’10”. Smaller target th throw to.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Quintana and Stratton for Oviedo and Nunez is what’s been officially reported now. I’ll absolutely take it. They probably could use another SP and definitely another RP and get rid of McFarland.

A 40 man spot is going to have to be cleared if nothing more is done tonight.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pet peeve 667 but it is not being “officially” reported anywhere yet I dont believe.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Do the Cards think.they can fiz Stratton? His OPS against is over .850 since Mau 1. He hás one more year of control but he hás not tender written ali over him. The Pirates probably would have given him away tô anyone willing tô pay the million still owed this year.

Let me repeat that – since Mau first opposing batters have an OPS of .850+ against him.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well for what we gave up, it’s a positive, but just a slight one. Does nothing in my opinion to go further in the playoffs but we will see if more can be done.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

It was on the Cardinals website, I took that pretty official.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

667, my apologies then.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Just só people are clear, we just made our bullpen worse!

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Do the Cards think.they can fiz Stratton?

“This year’s struggles have come in large part due to a bloated .365 average on balls in play against Stratton, who’s actually sporting a career-low 7.2% walk rate so far. The former first-round pick has seen his strikeout rate dip from last season’s 25.5% to 20.4% in 2022, but his 12.2% swinging-strike rate is right in line with last year’s mark and his 37.3% opponents’ chase rate on pitches off the plate is a career-best (and well north of the league average). He’s also a perennial spin-rate darling, and 2022 is no exception. Stratton leads all of Major League Baseball in fastball spin rate this season, and the spin rate on his curveball clocks into the 99th percentile.”

Oviedo is easily replaced with Stratton. They need another RP and get McFarland out.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Based on the year so far I doubt we are gonna fix any bullpen pitcher! If we can fix bullpen pitchers we have 6 or 7 on our roster we should start with! I hate this trade! Quintana was good 5 years ago is a rental and has no upside! Stratton should for right in with out bullpen studs! Oviedo is clearly the best arm in trade and we are giving him away! This always what Mo comes up with at trade deadline! People hoping for Montas or Soto or Syndegard and we get Quintana! This makes me feel zero better about our chances this year!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.