2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Free

Virtual hug for Reyes. Proud of this team.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree David … the Dodgers got the big hit and the Redbirds could not. Hated to see the Cards lose, but they did have opportunities that they could not cash in on.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

The press conference will be: We have all we need…no reason for any big moves…Schildt has my confidence…we’re ready for the season with the roster we have right now. It will be in more flowery language with plenty of Junior and Mo speak but the message will be the same. We made the playoffs so shut up.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t really blame Reyes or Shildt. This game was a situation where you need the veteran players to step up and that didn’t happen.

Wainwright outpitched Scherzer, but neither were as sharp as their teams needed them to be. On the offense side, Edman came to play. There is always next year.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It was a shame for the Cardinals and our fans, but the Dodgers deserved to move to the division series. You simply can’t leave a dozen men in scoring position in a tight game and expect to win.

oldcardsfan
    Participant

Free

All it took was one hit with RISP, and the Cardinals would have won. Perhaps a little offensive help next year would be good. I was proud of Wainwright, he is such a clutch pitcher, reminds me a little of Bob Gibson in the big games.

I had a bad feeling going into the bottom of the 9th. Losing a deciding game is always difficult to accept. This isn’t as bad as losing to Detroit in 1968 game 7 but it reminds me of that.

Still it was a good year, I so enjoyed the winning streak!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well not surprised about the nail issue for gallegos. I did see him pointing to it but tv made no mention so didn’t pick it up right away. That needs to be addressed going forward or may have to move on from him. But in my eyes that doesn’t excuse bringing Reyes in, we had plenty of other pitchers. If there was no other pitcher available, only then would it be ok in a tense situation. In my thoughts, I’ve seen enough of shildt. Lots of questionable decisions during season, also giving too much rest at end. I was ok with his hire but I believe it’s time for him to go even if players like him. But the 3-5 hitters in particular did a bad job with runners on. Can’t have that.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Mike Shildt is a good manager…quit with the unnecessary criticism.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I turned the game off so I didn’t see past the first few innings. The Dodgers are an overall better team but the Cards had their chances. Sometimes the sequencing just doesn’t go in your favor. Like others, I would have gone with Whitley rather than Reyes in the 9th. It’s a shame to lose like that and it may be career damaging for Alex. We may need him as a starter next year but I’d be surprised if he can handle closing again.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I think we all agree that Reyes, if he was going to be used, prob should have been Garcia’s second inning. Once passed that there really wasn’t a good spot. But McFarlin walking Bellinger is not getting enough criticism in my view. Puhols and Souza hit the ball hard but you have to trust your stuff against the lefty who hasn’t hit .200 over this full year. It would have been like if they walked Carpenter before a blast. We’d have been thanking them. And McFarlin was gifted a low strike in the at bat per gameday. Finally, Taylor swung at that like he knew it was coming. Not sure if he guessed right or had help from Belly at second base but he still had to hit it. Congrats to Dodgers but I’ll be pulling for Giants and Devil Rays the rest of the postseason.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

This team is what they were not a very good team most of the season, they got really hot (and lucky) over a 20-22 game span. Without it they were a below .500 team that was ugly to watch. The Cardinal fans are going to end up losing in the end that this team made the post season, because the front office is going to spin it as this is a playoff teams and we don’t need to make any major moves. Problem is that is bad and wrong thinking they got LUCKY to make the post season and if they bring back close to the same team that 17 game winning streak that got them there isn’t happening again.

As for the game it is comical some blaming Reyes for the loss. The cardinal hitters were 100% to blame this game for not doing a dang thing all game long end of story it was like that most of the year to…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team is what they were not a very good team most of the season, they got really hot (and lucky) over a 20-22 game span. Without it they were a below .500 team that was ugly to watch. The Cardinal fans are going to end up losing in the end that this team made the post season, because the front office is going to spin it as this is a playoff teams and we don’t need to make any major moves. Problem is that is bad and wrong thinking they got LUCKY to make the post season and if they bring back close to the same team that 17 game winning streak that got them there isn’t happening again.

On the other hand, do you expect the entire rotation to get hurt again next year? I’d say the luck mostly balanced out. They were 30-22 on Memorial Day weekend before the entire rotation fell apart, and didn’t really get healthy until September. With all the hands on deck, I think this team wins 90+ even without the crazy streak (which I agree won’t happen again).

This was a good team…not an elite one and they lacked the rotation punch to make a really deep run, IMO. The FO has a chance to remedy that this off-season, tweak the lineup a bit and really make this a standout team. We’ll see if they do.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I cannot remember another team having so many pitchers with nail issues

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Reflecting the sentiments of most here – it was a good season and we have a nice ball club. No major moves need to be made to stay in contention next year. The core is there.

Specific to this game, way too many missed opportunities on offense was the primary reason for the loss. The Dodgers finally got the big hit that we never got. When you have men on base and your only run comes from a wild pitch, you won’t win many.

Looking ahead, a healthy roster next year and we are in the division hunt. Add in some help from the likes of Gorman and Yepez, subtracting Carpenter, and that could be a significant upgrade to the bench depth. Perhaps Liberatore steps in to the rotation, and if we get a full season out of Hudson and Flaherty, this club could really be good in ’22.

Tough loss as the opportunities were there. Had this been a five or seven game series, who knows. But in a one and done, you gotta make it happen in that game, and we did not. Tip your hat to the Dodgers and get ’em next year.

bccran
    Participant

Why use Reyes with Flaherty and Hudson sitting there?

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Blah season, great final three and half weeks.

Team has a ton of issues to address that we’ve discussed many times.

Reyes…..yeah dumb move by Schildt.

I think the team would benefit from a new manager but I’d bet Schildt will be back.

If the FO gives him a good enough roster maybe he can not mess it up. Will probably have to trade Reyes to prevent Schildt from continuing to use him though…..

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frankly, I thought Shildt managed a pretty good game. The Reyes move was questionable but we had used up almost everyone else by then. The real reason we lost is we couldn’t get the big hit. I think we had runners on base in every inning yet only scored one run. That won’t cut it.

Jbrodie7
    Participant

Free

Shildt messed it up when he didnt want to continue the win streak and rested half the starters at same time which now was pointless. We could have had possibly a 22 game winstreak and a lot more momentum walkin into dodger stadium. I said it that day. It was a momentum killer resting them.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

I don’t get the Shildt hero worship. His cardinal teams are streaky, not sure why. But he hasn’t won anything, at least not yet.
    Everyone in the stadium, except one person, knows that Reyes is gonna throw a gopher ball. The easiest hold situation in baseball, 1/3 of an inning, and he couldn’t get ‘er done.
    Reyes had some good outings toward the end of the season, but mostly as a setup guy, not 9th inning. La Russa had the same flaw of running out tired closers who had no chance of getting a save (think Franklin and Isringhausen, but he also got us a couple of championships and other pennants….

MrFreese
    Participant

Free

Jbrodie7 took the words out of my mouth. Thanks dude. You nailed it. I totally believe they had a shot to carry that win streak into the wild card. How else could the cardinals offense stay hot? They would have carried an awesome confidence and momentum into that game. Their M. O. in playoffs the last decade is no offense. People won’t like this comment, but with the cardinals reverting to their full season form last night it will make a much more interesting NL playoff. They saved viewers from having to watch bad offense. Great September push though.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whoo boy… lame way to end it…but fought it and proved they deserved to be there. Even without scoring they still were getting on base throughout.

Max + 4 closers = tough for anyone to face

memorable season…a bit too streaky for my taste as the downs were so far down that it was tough to see it as real…and the ups were so unrealistically up i couldnt trust them…

anyways

If we want to do this again like this…bring in a marginal talent level SS (like Taylor) and recycling Lester or Happ…

If we want to truly contend and be a favorite. Max + Seager/Story

I am guessing we do one or the other…probably a SS…Story IMO… then recycle Lester or Happ and expect a breakthrough of Libertore of Thompson or Oviedo or Woodford or even Reyes for the rotation

Oh well…it is going to be a long and frustrating offseason as the CBA will disrupt everything…AND it will be frustrating because the team we saw at the end of the year (not the 17 game in a row version, but somewhere in between) has some really fun things to watch…and was just hitting a nice stride…. now we have to wait til Spring to see them again

but the offseason is just another part of baseball…

Go Cards!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We only had 5 hits so the offense stunk, a lot of Ofers. The pitching was good enough except for Reyes.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Yes, five hits and Edman got three of them. I guess the offense didn’t get enough “rest.’

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Tommy got enough rest. He played a great game as usual.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Arenado was 0-4. Sort of sums up his entire season. Disappointing. Not a major disappointment, but certainly a minor one.

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.