Jose Quintana Traded to the Cards

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jose Quintana Traded to the Cards

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Steve60
    Participant

Free

I think you’ll see how Matz is better when Quintana starts pitching for us. Just don’t see him as a positive! He will do okay against poor teams and get lit up by anybody we are fighting for playoff spots! Hope I’m wrong but that’s what I’m thinking!

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Maybe but career wise that’s not how it has been so far. Matz gives up the big inning more often than not.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The pen is stronger simply by replacing McFarland with Woodford.!

Oliver
    Participant

Free

But that makes too much sense Lee, you know they love their veterans

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I think most everyone would agree championship caliber teams don’t have either Matz or Quintana in their rotation but here the Cardinals find themselves. Does it really matter which has been better? Championships are rarely won on the cheap.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Texascard, so well put! Now that Soto has for to the Padres I’m gonna vent a little! This team is not good enough to win a WS! We are closer to mediocre than really good and these constant low rent moves at the deadline do nothing to change that! Our FO has realized that as long as we stay in the hunt for the last couple of playoff spots people will pay attention to us! We have watched while the other power teams in NL Braves Dodgers Mets and Padres make huge acquisitions! Why do they do this? To try and win a championship! Someone on here earlier said they were glad we were out of Soto chase because it would cost us Jordan Walker! Are you serious? Soto is a generational player and only 23! We are more likely to win the lottery or be struck by lightning than it is that Walker is anywhere as good as Soto! I am 62 and a Cardinal for life but this current group has no chance of winning it all! All we are doing is spinning our wheels while other teams make trades to try and win titles! I hope one day we will really reach out at deadline and do something! Haven’t really done that since Matt Holiday! I just hope Goldschmidt and Arenado don’t get tired of waiting and opt out or ask for trade!

David
    Participant

Free

Winning Championships is all about the
    Chemistry of the team. And the trade deadline isn’t about getting the best available player or spending the most money, it’s about what’s best for your team and giving your team the best opportunity to hoist the trophy in October.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Braves last year go out and get Pederson Soler and Rosario and Duval and they win it all! Maybe that made there chemistry better but it sure as heck made there team way better! We haven’t done anything close to that since at least 2011 and probably since Holiday! I’m just so frustrated at this point! Every year out competition makes themselves better at the deadline and we make some penny Anny move and try to say it was great! Tired of it really!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Braves last year go out and get Pederson Soler and Rosario and Duval and they win it all!

And none of those guys were really considered to be big time acquisitions. Most, if not all, were rentals. Yet, the Braves hoisted the trophy.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Man I wish we could get that kind of rental and hoist a trophy! Don’t think Quintana and Stratton are gonna do it though! David, is what we did this year at the deadline giving our team the best chance to hoist the trophy?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t really see the Braves of 2021 and the Cards of 2022 as comparables. The Cards have won their two most recent titles in off years, and never won one with their 95+ win teams, so I guess anything is technically possible.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

I agree they are not comparable! One went out and got a completely new outfield and win it all and the other did little or nothing and I don’t think has any chance to win anything! If our current roster wins it all it will be a UNREAL! I would think our chances of not making the playoffs at all are greater than our chances of winning it all!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The deadline isn’t over yet Steve.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Gscottar, are you trying to get my hopes up again? Lol! They have been dashed so many times the last decade I don’t think they can be saved! Going to take a nap! When I wake up we will have acquired Ohtani, Syndegaard and Lopez! Lol!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I don’t understand how acquiring Soto would have helped the team this year to win the World Series. We are already 8th in the major leagues in runs scored per game. Are we going to try to outscore teams with good pitching?

WE NEED PITCHING to win the World Series this year. Next year we may not have Wainwright. Is Flaherty going to be healthy or able to complete a full season? The same could be asked about Reyes. We will have Matz, Mikolas, Hudson, Hicks, Woodford and Liberatore to compete as starters. Is that staff going to win a World Series in the next 2 years? Does anyone really think the Cardinals are going to go acquire a #1 starter in either free agency or by trade?

If you really don’t believe the Cardinals will make the necessary upgrades to the starting pitching, there is no reason to be upset that they didn’t acquire Soto. If they did acquire Soto, they wouldn’t have the self-imposed budget to acquire the necessary pitching. We still have a nucleus to build around.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

forsch31 I totally agree we need top of the line starters to win it all! My question is when is the last time we really went out and got a number 1 or 2 starter? Milder? Carpenter? That is a lifetime ago! We have had the minor league depth for several years now and how many top of the rotation pitchers have we added? Zero! Jack Flaherty might have been good but at this point I doubt he will ever be Top guy for a whole season! He hasn’t been yet! We MUST upgrade through trades and the deadline is as good a time as any to do this but we never do! When you look at our starting 5 against Dodgers, Braves, Padres, Mets it simply doesn’t stack up and again we have done nothing to fix it! Go out and get a number 5 starter. Give me a break!

bccran
    Participant

A NL Central Division GM told me that he thought Flaherty would win the Cy Young some day. He’s that good.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Flaherty’s shoulder may prevent him from being great.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

He won’t win the Cy Young sitting on the sideline which is where he is as often or more than he is not! Alcantara will win the Cy Young long before Flaherty will and we gave him away!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If his arm doesn’t fall off first.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Lol, good point! At least he is durable!

bccran
    Participant

A NL Central Division GM told me that he thought Flaherty would win the Cy Young some day. He’s that good. We need to get him healthy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Pirates optioned Oviedo to Triple-A and assigned Nunez to Double-A. I bet they will stretch Oviedo back into a starter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB.com lists Nunez as the Pirates 11th best prospect.

bccran
    Participant

Nunez led Springfield in home runs and RBI – 17 and 66. Through 85 games. Losing him is a fairly stiff price for a rental.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years