2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Wild Card Game – Wed 10/6 – at LAD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 325 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:00 p.m. CT
    Opponent LAD
    Adam Wainwright starting for StL.
    TV coverage on TBS.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

I’m really looking forward to watching Scherzer pitch — Monday, in the one-game play-in for the division, between the Dodgers and the Giants. The Padres did their part by losing to the Dodgers, and now they have to switch gears and win two vs the Giants for the tie.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Giants did it again last night. Pulled out a win in the last of the 9th 5-4 over Arizona.

The Dodgers worry me. The Giants, well, they don’t put a scare into you but they somehow keep winning. I’d much rather play the Giants in the wild card game.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Dodgers worry me. The Giants, well, they don’t put a scare into you but they somehow keep winning. I’d much rather play the Giants in the wild card game.

This is the way I feel and the way I initially looked at it. However, LA in the wild card might be best for the long game. Cards might have better odds of making it to the NLCS by going against LA in one game and SF in best of five as opposed to SF in one game and LA in best of five.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

People have been saying all year that the Dodgers would overtake the Giants. It is isn’t going to happen.

It is going to be Scherzer vs. Wainwright and I think this is best for the Cardinals. We have a better chance of beating the Giants in a 5 game series than we do the Dodgers. Anything can happen in one game though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Even better, hope for a Game 163 in which the Giants beat Scherzer. Then the Cards would likely face Kershaw in the Wild Card. (Update: Kershaw is hurt.)

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

No doubt about that, Brian. I think I said that on the game thread last night. Too good to be true though — with last night’s results, there’s about a 1 in 20 chance of a game 163 happening

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

After SF lost and LA won yesterday, probability for game 163 increased to about 1 in 4 or 5.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I want to see SD beat SF and LA beat MIL leading to a tie in the West and also WASH beat BOS, TB beat NYY, SEA beat LAA, TOR beat BALT and have all 4 teams at 91 wins tied for the 2 wild card spot. It would be chaos and also show how dumb the playoffs format is that 2 teams tied for the best record is all of baseball and they have to play a tie breaker game and the winner gets into the playoffs and the loser has to play a 1 game play in to get into the playoffs when every other team in all of baseball has a worse record than them, absolutely dumb format that doesn’t reward the long haul of a 162 game schedule at all.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am just wondering here. Would we be better served going with the bullpen game instead of Wainwright? Or only letting Wainwright go 2-3 innings? Everybody should be on two days rest so the whole gang could easily go two innings.

I am not too thrilled about Wainwright’s chances in this BIG game.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rat, I’m riding Wainwright as long as he’s sharp. He’s been the team’s most trusted arm this season and if he can go 6+ innings and keep the Cardinals in it, then that would be the best hope I believe. But yes, it’s postseason baseball so leashes will be shorter, especially in elimination games.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards667, I have similar thoughts about the current format.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

LA kept their legs churning the last few games because of their race with SF, while the Cards decided to go into idle mode. It’ll be interesting to see if that seems to have an impact in the WC game, i.e., is it more important to get some time off before the sprint or is it better to stay in rhythm individually and as a team? Hope everything powers up normally when Shildt flips the switch back on Wednesday.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder what Muncy’s status will be for the Wednesday game?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

A playoff…Just win baby!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Roberts said “very unlikely” that Muncy plays in the WC.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A playoff…Just win baby!

If only one could wave a magic wand and PUFF!….there was TexasCard…..giving our boys their pregame pep talk in Los Angeles. The mere thought conjures up visions of coach Herb Brooks famed speech in Lake Placid and Knute Rockne’s rant in South Bend. Bravo TexasCard…..bravo.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is the wild card roster out? I am guessing tomorrow? And how many pitchers will be carried? 12? Should leave for more bench room, and possibly 3 catchers. This is all hands on deck, so I would have as many lefty pitchers as possible. If Waino is good, very good. If not, I would not let the Cards get behind by much. Kind of wish that 3 batter rule wasn’t in place.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals will need to recall the full 40-Man roster tomorrow. They could also set the WC roster tomorrow but I’m thinking it’ll be Tuesday.

My prediction:

C: Molina, Knizner, Sanchez
    1B: Goldy, Carp
    2B: Edman
    SS: Sosa, DeJong, Rondon
    3B: Arenado
    OF: O’Neill, Bader, Carlson, Nootbaar, Williams
    SP: Waino, Hudson
    RP: Gallegos, Reyes, Cabrera, McFarland, Garcia, Whitley, A Miller, Flaherty, Kim

dblack
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should be interesting matchup…..

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I hope the Cardinal shutdown in the last few games didn’t puncture the momentum built up during the winning streak. You have to maintain these things. It was not a time to ease off. Now our birds have to rebuild that great energetic push but only have one game in which to do it. I fear the Cardinal leadership made a grave error.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I hope the Cardinal shutdown in the last few games didn’t puncture the momentum built up during the winning streak. You have to maintain these things. It was not a time to ease off. Now our birds have to rebuild that great energetic push but only have one game in which to do it. I fear the Cardinal leadership made a grave error.

This is exactly what I was saying on other sites. They took the foot off the gas while the Dodgers were still playing hard.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scherzer has given up 10 earned in his last two outings. Hopefully 3’s company there. I think Waino will have his stuff together.

Speaking of those two, who would have thought circa 2014 that Waino and Max would still be their team’s aces all these years later? At 40 and 37, score one for the experience team.

bccran
    Participant

Sure hope Uncle Charlie is on.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals only took the weekend off, lol.

This is a 106 game winning team they are facing. The Dodgers should win the game by any measure but in a one-off literally anything can and does happen.

If the shoe were on the other foot, how cheated would we feel if a 100+ win Cardinal team lost the WC game to a 90 win team that got red hot at the end?

I do not like one-game ‘playoffs’

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 325 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years