mudville

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 3,453 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Former Cardinals in the News (new thread) #311094
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    And he is collecting $20,546 per day for the entire 365 day year. The Rays are paying him $7.5M for 2026 and another $7.5M for 2027, this, after the Cardinals gave him $12M/year for three years.

    in reply to: MLB Labor Negotiations 2026-2027 #311034
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Call me a ‘company man’ if you must. But I really like the Owners’ proposals although I can’t see how it would all fit together. For sure, there’s going to be a work stoppage. History tells us that the owners will start wetting their pants over what the work stoppage is costing them and give in to whatever Boras wants. When you think about it, the Owners really don’t have much of a chance. They have to pay salaries for 350+ employees regardless if they are generating any significant revenue, while the players are millionaires with only themselves to support. And the few who might be feeling pinched can just move back in with their mom and dad during the stoppage.

    in reply to: Injured pitchers #310970
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Yeah, Ixan Henderson is in that same bucket. Rotation help is on the way but it might not arrive in time to get the Cardinals a playoff game.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Per Wednesday’s With Walton and Reis, Kyle thinks Hjerpe may be the top ranked prospect in the organization. The trouble is that he’s only been throwing 20 pitches per outing so far. Kyle thinks Hjerpe will be up to 40 pitches in about a month. So after 2, or maybe 3 innings, it becomes a bullpen gme.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Interesting game. Let’s see what Leahy can do next time up. Crooks and Jordan are having trouble getting traction at the Major League level. Jordan is no Nolan Arenado, but his defense hasn’t bothered me yet. He’s gat a strong accurate arm.

    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by mudville.
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I wonder how Stubby Clapp got the nickname ‘Stubby’.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    So far, so good for Leahy. If he can make it all the way there 3rd inning that will be an improvement.

    I still enjoy Arenado’s defense.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #310799
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    1td- I agree with everything you said about Wetherholt. In fact, I think it applies to the current entire lineup of Cardinals. They play with a selfless enthusiasm that is rare.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #310764
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’m sure glad those rumors about Albert hitting the juice while in St. Louis turned out to be absolutely false. MLB and the players association have put an end to that. Still, when I look at the size of many of the Dodgers players as they stand in at the plate, I have to do a double take. How old is Freddy Freeman, BYW? I’m pretty sure Goldy hit 40 this year. I know he’d love to get a ring before he retires, and I wish him the best. It’s amazing how a change to a different team can revitalize a player.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Every team would like a big time power hitter But that kind of player is almost always untouchable. And don’t we already have that player in Josh Baez? Besides, where would we even play him? I don’t want to undervalue Nootbaar veteran presence, and I think it’s too early to say that Nathan Church is not our best option for CF. I’m okay with leaving Baez at Memphis for all of 2026. That way he can still work on learning the strike zone during the inevitable, IMO, work stoppage. What this team really needs is at least one more 2 or 3 starter to go with May, an emerging Pallante, and possibly the up and coming Matthews. And there are other Cardinals pitching prospects that are about ready to show what they can do. I’ll go back to my aforementioned proposal. See if we can trade VSII for a proven middle reliever, or two. Then let’s see how far these young players can take us. Realistically, it’s going to take some really tough play for any team to beat the Brewers because of their pitching.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Agree on that heads up defense by Pallante.

    Thanks for coming is averaging about 15 pitches per inning. I sure hope he can get through 6 innings with 15 pitches, or less.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I keep getting impressed by Nathan Church, also, offensively, for sure. But I like his defense also. It seemed to me that VSII was continually letting the ball hit the ground a few feet in front of him or let the ball hit the bottom of the outfield wall and bounce back to him. With determined effort he could have caught some of those balls, IMO. He’s good enough to play at the major league level, so he’s tradable.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    gscottar – Please get a new crystal ball, or maybe, just clean and shine the one you have. We’d be fighting to stay out of last place by the end of the season if we made all those trades you suggested. The only player that I think there’s a chance of being traded is May. Missing just one playoff game could cost the Cardinals hundreds of thousand dollars. If the Cards are in contention, my opinion is that none of the players you mentioned will be traded. The only trade I could see happening would be maybe trading Scott for a proven reliever which, obviously, would be a buy rather than a sell.

    in reply to: Brewers Thread #309947
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    6M$?/yr by today’s standards is still cheap. Millions of dollars to any baseball player is excessive. I’ve been saying that for years. The Cardinals’ team is playing for fun and for each other. That’s the way the games should all be played. The White Sox seem to be doing that, too, now. Let the young guys become rich, but it doesn’t have to be absurdly rich. If the new CBT by the owners can be implemented, that could possibly happen The details would still have to be worked out. But with the combination of all team player salaries divvied up and distributed evenly, then every MLB player gets treated evenly, then Boras and no team gets to pirate a player away from another organization at will. Of course, there are details that would have to be worked out. But this would really, really change the game if I’m understanding it correctly. If would bring more even competition and a more exciting game.

    I’ll try to figure how the numbers could work in terms of dollars per team and per player. But I would welcome come other opinions other than ‘its impossible’.

    in reply to: Brewers Thread #309942
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Brewers sure have a lot of confidence in their talent evaluators. I look at the Dodgers and some of their prodigious glutes and legs and even their upper bodies, and the way they lean forward on their toes in the batters box. Then I wonder…I just wonder. And there are players like Mookie Betts or AAron Judge who sign mega contracts and who play like super stars for a few years, and then become average or less. It’s almost always blamed on injuries, even though these players rarely return to previous form. And then there’s Paul Goldschmidt posting a line of 600/600/600/1200 for the Yankees ins 2026 at nearly 40 years old. Makes you wonder. At least with the Brewers they,re only risking about $6M/year to find out if he’s as good as they think he is. Our own Jordan Walker should squeeze as many millions as he can out of the Cardinals and their fan base until he hits free agency and is ready to claim that 40M$+/yr.

    in reply to: Monthly In-Season Prospect Re-Rankings #309939
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    If Mtathews is really ready, some. of our middle to late inning relief problems could be settled by replacing Liberatore with Mathews and letting Liberatore pitch two or three innings of relief, IMO. Libby has bee pretty good for two or three innings.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Liberatore is definitely a middle reliever, not a starter. Lately, it’s been looking like Matthews is ready. Maybe it’s time to find out. Oli has been demonstrating all season that he is willing to bring AAA guys up for a tryout, or send a player down when needed. When TLR needed help somewhere, he was only satisfied if the front office got him a player who had already compiled stats and a substantial track record. That was one of the things I didn’t like about him.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Stanek didn’t pitch badly. The 3-run HR by Clemens was off a splitter that just caught the bottom edge of the plate. That pitch is usually a called strike or swing and miss. The HR ball thrown to Lewis was slightly elevated, but pretty far in. The HR ball thrown to Lee for the 9th Twins run was a cookie, probably because Stanek was so deflated by that time that he lost track of what he was supposed to be doing. Next game is this evening, 7 PM.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual
    in reply to: Wednesdays With Walton podcasts #309590
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I enjoyed the discussion as usual. One thing I want to comment on is that I don’t think Church has reached the peak of his development yet. It’s still wait and see with him. I think he plays hungrier than Scott was playing. IMHO, Scott would rather let the ball hit the bottom of the w outfield wall and bounce back to him rather than risk running up to the wall for the catch. Same goes for some of the fly balls hit his way. It seemed like he was giving up on catching the ball and satisfied with just letting it hit the ground in front of him rather than going all out to catch it.

    in reply to: Roster Matrix #309047
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Nootbaar leading off says that the heels of his feet really are good.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Cardinals already have a very impressive farm system even before this year’s MLB draft. Time to start building a team. Extend Walker, Wetherholt. Wynn.

    in reply to: Why is blaze jordan not on 40 man? #309019
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    KCB-Nice post. I think my apprehension about trading Burly is that he has already demonstrated that he is a legitimate first baseman. I can imagine Herrera as a 1B/DH guy. I think he will phase out of catching with Crooks coming on and Bernal getting more and more love.

    in reply to: Minor League Game thread – 2026 Week 11 #309012
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I wonder what the Cardinals have in mind for Hjerpe. Rotation, or left-handed relief? Seems like that his side arm pitching motion
    could make it tough for batters in either role.

    in reply to: Why is blaze jordan not on 40 man? #309010
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Burleson leads the team in RBI’s. It might be better to trade Herrera and extend Burleson.

    Walker and Wetherholt look like franchise level players. And I know it’s too early to
    tell. But it will be interesting to find out
    what we’ve really got with Jimmy Crooks.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 3,453 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years