KeepComingBack

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 2,101 through 2,125 (of 2,154 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals #235227
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    If we are to indeed bring in 3 new starting pitchers, 1 will almost surly need to come via trade. For the right guy, that means trading one of our young core players. Would you trade one of Noot, Walker, Winn, or Gorman, who are the top tier? Or are they all off limits and you trade Tommy, Donovan, Carlson, and any of the other fringe guys? Or trade the second tier for proven bullpen arms? I am warming up to being ok with trading Noot or Gorman for one of the top young cost controlled guys. But I’d rather not. Will Bill spend enough on the first two guys answers the question on if we really need the third guy to be a Gilbert type, who definitely requires one of those guys in trade.

    in reply to: Luken Baker is International League MVP #235211
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Winn and the other two guys aren’t anywhere close to the same category. Winn is going to be a player in this league as long as his glove and arm hold up. I’m betting his bat skill developes. Those other two guys have 1 tool and so far it’s not impressive enough to keep them around.

    in reply to: What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals #235204
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I was looking at last year’s free agent starting pitchers. Yikes!

    in reply to: Luken Baker is International League MVP #235203
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Who thinks Luken plays everyday in the bigs?

    in reply to: Jordan Montgomery #235194
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Bling I never heard anything but speculation about a Montgomery extension. If there was any kind of offer it was a well kept secret. Montgomery stated publicly he wouldn’t negotiate during the season. Boras is his agent. The Cardinals want discounts. Not surprising nothing materialized. As far as him coming back in free agency, who knows.

    in reply to: Marmol & Selfish Players/Clubhouse Trouble #235150
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    there any game threads for the post-season, BW, or does the game of Big League baseball end at 20 under?

    Hicks just got out of a bases loaded jam in the 8th. 3-1 Twinkies

    in reply to: Marmol & Selfish Players/Clubhouse Trouble #235090
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I’m a person who accepts the things he cannot change. So I avoid complaining about Mo or Oli or the ownership. For now, they are the owner, pobo, and manager. If the manager wants the players to focus on championships, I’m behind that 100%. But you don’t have to flap your lips any further than that. Action speaks louder than words. If there’s players who dont fit that philosophy, we are all bright enough to figure that out when we see the 2024 roster.

    in reply to: Cards Defense in 2023 #235005
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I guess we just have to wait until opening day 2024 to see what it’s going to look like. I do know that I saw Winn consistently make plays with his arm that only a few guys in the league can. When we get back to the games meaning something, will his defense be enough to make up for whatever his struggles on offense might be. That’s the big question. I’m guessing they give it a chance.

    in reply to: Cards Defense in 2023 #234999
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Did anyone think it looked better with Winn at ss? I did, but I’m extremely biased. I gotta have that strong arm at short.

    in reply to: Why Jordan Walker will start the season in AAA – not MLB #234929
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I don’t know where the narrative comes from that the Cardinals would dh Walker or Gorman. They would trade them before they dh the them on a regular basis.

    in reply to: Thomas Saggese is Texas League MVP #234916
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Walker can field. First or third. But we already have those guys. Rf was a brand new position being learned at the major league level. That’s where he will remain until he either gets at or above league average or first or third become available.

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    What has happened to indicate Walker would dh? Or Contretas not bat fifth?

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Bling-what do you think about Walker in the two hole next year?

    Noot
    Walker
    Goldy
    Arenado
    Contreras
    Gorman
    Tommy
    Winn
    Donovan

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #161: Saturday, September 30 vs. Reds #234866
    KeepComingBack
    Participant
    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #161: Saturday, September 30 vs. Reds #234860
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    The Cardinals were 15-13 in May and 14-13 in July. They were a combined 25 games below the rest of the season. So May and July they seemed like a .500 team. The rest of the time they seemed like a team that earned their last place standing.

    in reply to: Thomas Saggese is Texas League MVP #234822
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I understand the need for an effective 1-2 in the batting order so that Goldy bats 3rd. I want like crazy for Winn to get his ops up high enough to bat leadoff. But we can’t wish it so. If he can’t, what about Donovan leading off and Walker second? I like Noot. But I also like pitching, and we don’t have it and we can’t acquire enough through free agency. Noot, Winn, Gorman, Walker. Those are the guys that will bring you quality pitching and the order in which I would be willing to trade.

    in reply to: Thomas Saggese is Texas League MVP #234803
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    If they trade Noot it creates two holes to fill. A starting outfielder and a 1-2 batter in the lineup.

    I don’t see it that way. Tommy and Winn lead off. Winn is coming around with his obp and we know he has the speed. Donovan hits second. Donovan lf Tommy cf Walker rf. DC fourth outfielder. You are going to have to give a core player in trade for A cost controlled pitcher. That’s my preference over Gorman, who would be the next guy to consider moving who is actually worth something. Remember, Donovan or Tommy neither one move the needle to get the guy we need.

    in reply to: Thomas Saggese is Texas League MVP #234779
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    PS Sign both Japanese guys.

    in reply to: Thomas Saggese is Texas League MVP #234778
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Noot is the guy that has the highest value that we can afford to trade. May need to throw in another lesser piece or two for Gilbert from Seattle. The trade value is even. If Seattle says no, look for another cost controlled young starter. Someone besides Mo will be in love with Noot. Than consider keeping DC. I think he bounces back next year.

    in reply to: 2024 Rotation #234308
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Does anyone really feel good about Mik?

    in reply to: 2024 Rotation #234264
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    My post about Urias was purely rhetorical. Who knows what our opening day starting 5 will look like. I personally would like to see them use all of their resources on flooding the system with high upside prospects and development program. But that requires patience and more of a rebuild than anyone wants. So really we all are just guessing who might be signed and who is available. I expect to see them go hard at guys that don’t have a loss of draft choice attached. Either Japanese player. Sonny Gray if the years are reasonable. People keep talking Montgomery. I don’t see that. I see a trade with Seattle or Miami. Maybe Tampa Bay. I’m highly concerned Matz will ever be a solution. They also need to bring in at least 2 proven bullpen pieces if they want to be competitive.

    in reply to: 2023 StL Game #152: Wed., September 20 vs. Brewers #234246
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I’ve been angry with the baseball Gods since that 1 time they let them win a WS

    in reply to: 2024 Rotation #234244
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Jose Urias might be the best free agent pitcher available.

    Any concern he might be suspended?

    in reply to: What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals #233988
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Saw this on MLBTR:

    As sources told The Athletic, the Cardinals are in the early stages of restructuring their entire player development system, and the team views improving the baseball operations department to be just as important as adding more pitching.

    The Athletic article is behind the pay wall there. Can anyone say what sources or who said what

    a

    This is definitely exiting news if true. Stocking your pitching with trades and free agents is destined for failure. Or your core,for that matter. Spending your money on top people to run player development is imo the long term answer. I realize we have to add pitching from the outside for 2024, but not at the expense of weakening the core strength we currently have. I can wait another year if that’s what needs to happen.

    in reply to: What’s it gonna take to fix the Cardinals #233716
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Trading Gorman or any core guys for pitching is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Viewing 25 posts - 2,101 through 2,125 (of 2,154 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years