Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
12 scoreless innings in a row for our pitchers now. Monty has battled well tonight.
Carter, at least her breasts are properly labeled.
Only 3 of our at bats have left the infield so far tonight. At least Goldy broke up the no-no.
LOL. Andujar and Buck. What a great moment!
My favorite 3 were Forsch, Carpenter, and I’m going to go with Bob Tewksbury just for fun for my final name. He just always seemed reliable and unflappable. Plus, there really aren’t a ton of great other choices in the last 30 years other than Waino, but he’s still active. Forsch was my first Cardinal idol. I loved that sometimes he’d start the game, then get switched to right or left field so a lefty relievers could pitch, and then he’d come back and relieve the reliever for another inning. Plus he could hit pretty well having originally been a third baseman.
Again, Montgomery heading right back out there with almost no rest.
I’m not old enough to have watched Gibson. And I can only faintly remember Andujar 1TD. He was so fun to listen to. But yeah, Carpenter has got to go on my list. I felt so safe with him on the mound – especially in big games.
Question: Since starters are the main topic these days, who are your top 3 favorite Cardinals starters that you’ve watched pitch in your lifetime?
Monty didn’t get much rest
31 pitches for Montgomery. He got a little lucky with the last 2 hitters bailing him out a bit – especially Conforto. Let’s hope he settles down quickly.
Paul DeJong has been worth .2 WAR in each MLB game he’s played this season. So yeah, assuming he wasn’t injured for the first few weeks, he’d be on pace for 32+ WAR. MVP season folks. No question about it.
I agree with LACardFan. I liked the top of the lineup today. Nootbaar gets on base with ok speed. Then they alternate left and right handers. This lineup is great for right handed pitchers- which is most of the time. Against lefties, Edman is a great pick to lead off. Or maybe Carlson.
I like that we have our A defense on the field tonight (missing Donovan only). I wish we’d let that ride for a few games.
I don’t think DeJong matters too much. He’ll just get the 3 or 4 at bats a week Motter was getting with better defense at shortstop and a little less versatility.
Alas. Just 2 for Andre. Whitley on.
Pallante looks great in his first Memphis action. I’m still crossing my fingers that my prediction that they will now stretch him out to start comes true. Two innings so far. We will see if he gets the 9th as well.
One thing that I didn’t realize was that Wynn actually bats with a toothpick and Baker appears to be using a 4×4. At least that’s what it looks like this close up.
We were being no hit and then exploded for 4 runs. Luken started it off with a drilled single to left. Barrera hit himself a 3-run homer which was his third round tripper of the young season. Knizner watch out.
Yeah, we get down here a few times a season. We go down to Beale St and eat and listen to some Blues and then walk over to the stadium. There was quite a large corvette show today.
This far we’re getting no hit. This pitcher Osvaldo Bido looks really good for the Pirates system. Graceffo was cruising until Miguel Andujar absolutely crushed a 2 run shot. Still, I really like Gordon’s demeanor and the way he attacks hitters. But I think ideally he isn’t called up until at least late this season.
One other fun thing. Nothing brings a smile to my face more than seeing Luken Baker walk up to the box right in front of me. That guy is so huge!
Sitting in Memphis watching Graceffo pitch today. Couldn’t ask for a more beautiful day!
Pete Hansen had a very nice start today as well. 6 innings, 1 hit, 2 walks, and 7 K’s. No runs allowed. Lots of Quality starts all around our minor league teams. Maybe this will rub off on their Major League older cousins!
I 100% think there is a lot of validity to this last comment. Our pitching has still been poor, but no question that poor defense has exacerbated the problem. Walker has been really bad. O’Neill in center field has been pretty bad. Burleson in general isn’t very good. And both Knizner and Contreras are poor at D as well. That’s a lot of difference from last year. We saw the alternate outcome the night Woodford pitched against the Pirates and was pretty poor, but we had an elite defense that night behind him that saved multiple big hits. Our starters just aren’t elite. They are really ho-hum. But with an elite defense, then generally perform a little above average.
Thomas and McGreevey both have very good lines tonight as well.
McGreevey is starting the 7th inning now. But he came into it having walked zero and given up one run. 7 hits and 9 strikeouts.
Thomas has pitched his best game thus far. 6 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. And he may still continue into the 7th.
He finishes with 6 innings, no runs, no walks, 2 hits, and 7 strikeouts. Only allowed a grounder through the infield and a ground ball single to the catcher.
Rajcic so far – 5 innings, 1 hit, no runs, 7 Ks, no walks. Both he and Mautz look great so far. But it is Low A. At this pace, both will probably move up around Memorial Day like we did with McGreevey and Graceffo last year.
Correction on what I said above. Curialle isn’t quite as old as I thought. I was thinking he was 22 going on 23. But he’s 21 and will be 22 in June. So he’s not really “old” for his level. Maybe just slightly older than average.
-
AuthorPosts
