2023 StL Game #21: Saturday, April 22 at Mariners

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2023 StL Game #21: Saturday, April 22 at Mariners

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep it seems like that World Series game-ending pickoff was only yesterday.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Not a good day if you are a Cardinal fan thinking “what if?”.

Hey Mike, good to see you’ve moved past Gallen’s 7IP 2H 11K 0BB performance last night, hehe.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Mikolas just can’t keep it in play.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, that game ending play seems like yesterday to you and me, Euro. He’s probably forgotten all about it…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, Gallen ain’t too bad either. Garcia with 3 homers and 2 doubles tonight!

This is looking like the ‘70s. The Cardinals are a mediocre to poor club, while former Cardinals are stars on other clubs. The list is getting long – Garcia, Arozarena, Gallen, Alcantara, Wisdom. And what do we have for all those guys? Liberatore – think we got Hence in a pick as a result of a deal.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Haven’t noticed Wong this year. Caray said he hasn’t gotten off to the start they wanted.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Sigh…they said DeJong is coming back tomorrow. No other roster move announced yet.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m trying to come up with all those 70’s cast-offs who really helped other teams, Bikemike. Carlton, Cruz, Tolan, McBride, Denny…I’m sure I’m missing a couple.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Gorman simply blisters the baseball when he makes good contact.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

With the way the team’s done thus far it’s a little hard to notice, but Caray does a pretty good job with the PBP. He’s a genuine professional.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I like Caray a lot. Liked him with his previous teams when I listened to him. Glad to have him calling Cardinals games for sure.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I echo the comments on Chip Caray. Like him a lot. Thompson is better with Caray than he was with Dan – seems more toned down.

A couple of other good ‘70s Cardinals who did a lot more for other clubs were Jerry Reuss and Mike Torrez. Add Carlton and that would have been a terrific top three in your rotation.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, both Ruess and Torrez seemed to have careers that lasted for a lifetime. Probably because they did…Haha. I’m reasonably sure you remember that baseball card that featured promising ROY candidates that featured both Torrez and Johnny Bench.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Sigh…they said DeJong is coming back tomorrow. No other roster move announced yet.

Yeah, but it’s gonna be different this time. Caray said he’s coming back to help the team win.

Speaking of Caray, I’ve read more than a few people (not this site) say they’ve been disappointed with him and he rambles too much. I haven’t focused in too much on him, but I don’t get that impression. Seems like announcers get criticized a lot regardless.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think you are talking about a Sports Illustrated cover, 1TD. It came out before the 1968 season and had Bench and Torrez, Cisco Carlos and a couple of other guys.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

And I agree with the observation on Brad Thompson. Danny used to egg him on at times which seemed to vault him a bit over the top. He’s better with Caray.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think DeJong matters too much. He’ll just get the 3 or 4 at bats a week Motter was getting with better defense at shortstop and a little less versatility.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I think you’re right, Bikemike. My morning coffee’s worn off…Haha!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Will likely be the same story with DeJong. He will hit maybe a buck seventy five with a few homers and a ton of strikeouts. But he will be good to have as a defensive player at short on occasion.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like that we have our A defense on the field tonight (missing Donovan only). I wish we’d let that ride for a few games.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That wouldn’t be a bad idea, Jnevel. If they win this game, I wouldn’t touch any buttons until after the next loss.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Mikolas with another bad case of oreidas.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Marmol seems lost.

Starters can’t.

Hitting is anti-clutch.

But DeJong is coming back. Yay?

Feels like the team is in a death spiral.

We know they are individually better than this but as a group they are bad and now you can just see it in their body language – they expect to lose – they expect bad things to happen.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

My goodness.

Losing is contagious.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Edman homers in the 9th but it’s not enough. Burleson flies to deep left center to end it.

5-4 Seattle your unhappy final.

Woe and despair. We are just about done.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.