Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
stlcard25ParticipantGood early start for the Cards. The Pham homer and another by scorching hot Dejong puts them up 4-0 in the 4th.
stlcard25ParticipantIt has changed…the Cards would get a pick only if Lynn would sign for >$50m, I believe.
stlcard25ParticipantI don’t think this roster is terribly far off from being quite good. That said, there’s no reason not to explore what you can get for your impending free agents. I would imagine Lynn and Oh would collect at least a couple top 100 type guys in return. Rosenthal is another guy who will be pretty pricey next year and the production can probably be approximated with the right moves this offseason. Gyorko and Wong are sell high candidates. Carpenter might even be expendable. I hope they wouldn’t trade all these guys but a shuffle probably won’t hurt.
On the other side, if there is some low hanging fruit, I think you have to explore that as well. A guy like Donaldson or Quintana or one of the A’s may be a fit if we are collecting prospects in other trades. A bit of a retool of the lineup (and maybe the coaching staff) and you could have a contender again in 2018.
stlcard25ParticipantCoupled with the Brewers almost certain win, they’re going to be 6.5 games back after tonight. It’s very very close to time to sell and I think the FO knows it. If things stay stagnant a week after the break, I suspect they’re going to be looking to move guys.
stlcard25ParticipantAnd thus concludes the chances that they’ll finish the first half at .500. It’s bitterly disappointing to lose game after game with your supposed ace on the mound.
stlcard25Participant4 homers by the Cards and it’s not enough to get Cmart in line for the win. Really not Carlos’ best work. He needs some rest badly.
stlcard25ParticipantCarlos not really sharp early and gives up a couple runs.
Grichuk and Dejong with back to back jacks though…2-2.
stlcard25ParticipantDefinitely could use a bounce back start from Cmart. deGrom has pitched well of late and it wouldn’t be surprising to see a low scoring game.
stlcard25ParticipantFlaherty with his bump in velocity and dominant performance at Springfield prob has the best case.
If someone will value Alcantara as a top 50 guy and let us keep Flaherty in w trade, I’m all in.
stlcard25ParticipantOh closes it out…4-3 Cards. Good overall job by the bullpen today. Need a sweep of the Mets to feel good going into the break.
stlcard25ParticipantOh coming in to face the heart of the order. Nervous time…
stlcard25ParticipantIt proved crucial already. Lyons wasn’t sharp and Cecil couldn’t get Ozuna…4-3 Cards.
stlcard25ParticipantThat extra run could prove huge.
Carpenter seems to be most affected by the shift of anyone this year. He is torching the ball but it always seems to be right at someone. The final out of the 6th is a great example.
stlcard25ParticipantVoit looking good today. He’s a big man and maybe he becomes the guy we all hoped Adams would be.
July 6, 2017 at 12:25 pm in reply to: Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018 #26803
stlcard25ParticipantThe only way I really want to see a trade for Stanton is if they’re certain they won’t be players for anyone after 2018 or 2019. Would hate to see $30m a year plunked down on one guy (who really hasn’t been a superstar but for one season, some of it due to injuries) and then have zero payroll room to get a legit star in the next two loaded FA classes.
I suppose if you manage to trade away Fowler and Carpenter, that offsets the salary…I’m still of the opinion that Carp hitting in front of a true slugger is a very dangerous hitter (he was leading the league in OPS last year before his oblique injury) and would prefer not to trade him unless they can get a big return. VEB did an analysis not long ago on what value you might fairly get in a trade and Carpenter was not worth very much by that metric. Like, 1 back end top 100 guy-low value. I was a little shocked.
stlcard25ParticipantThen why can’t both be done at once? I agree it’s unacceptable to give away talent for nothing. Getting 1.5 years and possibly 8 WAR from Donaldson would be more than we would probably get from trading Gyorko on his own (not to mention he’s a regression candidate and has tailed off from his hot start). We could trade him separately and hope to get a star we can develop…or just use him to get the actual star.
So, just to get some clarity…your position is that we should sell off our players at the deadline, then…replace them with call ups, see how they pan out and then decide what other moves need to be made?
stlcard25ParticipantHow is acquiring an elite talent by cleaning out the extra parts not part of a good plan? Who says we couldn’t trade Gyorko plus 3 prospects for Donaldson and then turn around and trade Lynn, Oh, Rosie and maybe Grichuk or potentially Diaz or Wong to ease the log jam? This would remove some of the chaff while still giving the team a good floor and plenty of flexibility for the big 2018 and 2019 offseason.
All I’ve heard from you is “tank and hope for the best.” I’m sure you know this but throwing away proven performers for prospects doesn’t always work and unless you’re happy with the Cincinnati Reds approach, perhaps the FO should be given some leeway to continue to do what they have been doing.
stlcard25ParticipantGyorko and Wong alone outvalue two years of Donaldson. Also think the glut of pitching would mean the Cards would overpay pitching to avoid trading Perez (as would I). Regardless, it seems like a long shot.
stlcard25ParticipantNot to mention Sierra and Mercado looking good at Springfield and Garcia acclimating well in Memphis. Perhaps not this year but by next All Star break there could be quite the backlog of ML ready OFers.
stlcard25ParticipantYes please.
I’d start with whichever the Jays prefer of Gyorko or Wong, throw in Weaver, Bader and pick of Hicks or Alcantara. A pretty heavy price but one well worth paying. This lineup badly needs a consistent impact bat.
stlcard25ParticipantI suspect that Grichuk is in his last run as a potential starter in the OF now. I could easily see them making him the 4th OF or trading him to an OF-starved team (Royals?) this offseason.
As for Bader, he’s got a similar profile to Grichuk but the contact skills look a little better. I would be cool with giving him a shot before long, although with the return of Fowler and Pham’s play, I’m not sure where you put him (Piscotty hasn’t looked that good but I think he’ll perk up).
stlcard25ParticipantI like Carpenter-Pham in the first two spots. It sets the tone for the lineup as both guys have some on base skills and pop. Piscotty is sort of stuck at #3, although if he comes around he would be a great asset there with his (traditionally) strong RISP hitting.
stlcard25ParticipantInteresting. Are there any other guys that would be realistic options at that price tag??
stlcard25ParticipantLuke Voit with his first career MLB dinger. Where is bccran at to celebrate??
stlcard25ParticipantSheesh, time to pull Waino. Can’t let the Marlins back in the game.
-
AuthorPosts
