2017 MLB Game #88: Cards vs. Mets: Sun Jul 9

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #88: Cards vs. Mets: Sun Jul 9

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lance Lynn (6-6, 3.87) vs. Steven Matz (2-1, 2.12) 1:15 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Not a Cardinals note but watching the Cubs game, only because I live close enough to their AAA team, anyway Lester is pitching and he just got taken out after a 52 pitch 1st inning, with the Cubs down 10 to nothing…

Anyway hope Lynn pitches well…

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I saw that Logan. AND the Pirates are still batting.

Man, them Flubs aint what they are last year. They might eventually get it together but they are about to be two games UNDER .500 at the All Star Break.

r/Rat

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Update: 10-0 Pittsburgh heading to the bottom of the 1st.

And I just saw where the Brewers hit the Yankees with a four spot in the first. 4-0 Milwaukee in the 2nd.

Hope we get out of the top of the 1st unscathed against the Mets.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good early start for the Cards. The Pham homer and another by scorching hot Dejong puts them up 4-0 in the 4th.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Lynn putting up zeroes, which is good to see. Hope he goes 7 or 8 innings to avoid long relief. Cards actually look like a major league ball club today. Good sign going into the ASB.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

DeJong is turning into quite a story. His development is interesting — looks solid all-around. That includes his defense, other than forgetting to toe-up the bag on a couple of throws he’s received at second. Since he’s not had a lot of reps at SS, you know there’s a lot going through his mind and it isn’t overwhelming him. Wouldn’t it be nice if he ends up giving us solid SS play for the second half?

Participant

Free

Yes it would. Seems like we haven’t had a solid fielding SS since Furcal.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler not hustling. Should have been on second. Not a good look.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It looked bad, but McCarver and McLaughlin attributed it to his foot. They said he’d probably be out of the game if Pham hadn’t left because of his hip issue. Also, Piscotty not running on his ground out to 3rd was a very bad look. I thought Carp not scoring on Fowler’s grounder to 3rd in the first inning showed poor awareness on the bases, making McCarver sound like he wanted to punch something.

Not being negative–just making observations on something that needs attention by the team. Seriously, other than these two or three things, it was a great game for the redbirds going into the break.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If he can’t even run full speed, I have to wonder why he came off the DL. Or is this a chronic problem that is not going to get better?

Participant

Free

Didn’t hear McCarver’s comments, but the play looked like Carp would have been thrown out at home, or at least a very close play. Gyrko drove him in anyway. Had he been thrown out, the critique would have been why he pushed it when one their best batters for putting the ball in play was coming up. Bottom line, probably a risk worth taking in that situation, 0-0 in the 1st, but ok that he didn’t.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It was a slow bouncer that had to be charged. I don’t think Carp would’ve been thrown out. The other point McCarver was making Carpenter needs to move forward with the 3rd baseman, then if he throws to first, Carp could’ve walked home. Either way, Carp didn’t budge, which is not putting pressure on the defense and poor instincts.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

I wondered the same thing re Fowler, Brian.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Or maybe it was an in-game situation where Fowler’s foot became aggravated after playing a few innings. I agree with the mindset that if you can run that out for a double, then don’t play. So was it a case of him admiring what he thought was going to be a HR and loafing, or would he have really not been in the game at that point if Pham had not previously been removed? Fowler made a nice catch in the 9th where he had to run fairly hard, which makes it even more questionable. We don’t need a CFer and 3-spot hitter who runs hard only when the situation is crucial — heal up and let the others handle it.

Participant

Free

Fowler could’ve just wanted to play some games out knowing the break was coming and he could deal with it until then.

DeJong interests me a bit. I wanted him up before Sierra but he’s shown well at times. Still worry he’ll get figured out a bit after the break and that OBP before his little hot streak was south of.300 will creep that way once more but he’s shown to be a solid addition.

Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong looks a lot better at SS than Diaz. But I don’t think we’re going to see many highlight reel plays of DeJong at short. I really like dazzling defensive plays. That’s why I’ve always held back my criticism of Wong.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

That first one is really impressive. Something Pujols, Musial, or Hornsby never did.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years