2017 MLB Game #83: Cards vs. Marlins: Tue Jul 4

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #83: Cards vs. Marlins: Tue Jul 4

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lance Lynn (6-5, 3.90) vs. RHP José Ureña (6-3, 3.42) 1:15 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gyorko had cramping in one of his legs last night so is getting a day off. Voit placed in cleanup spot is telling indication of limited roster options.

Times change. Last season when Diaz was hitting .400 for over a month, he was kept in the #8 spot as the manager did not want to put pressure on the first-time callup. Now, with the Hollidays and Mosses gone and Carpenter uncomfortable there, mid-order choices are limited.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think Voit can handle it. I would have rather have Mejia in the lineup at second, and Carpenter at third. Or maybe just put Mejia at third in this one.

Carpenter’s weird “I can only bat lead off” really cramps the options for the batting order. Piscotty should not be hitting third, but almost has to with this group (although Pham would be a good option there). It’s sort of like having a guy that can only play one defensive position.

Grichuk could hit third if he learned to layoff any pitch that is coming in at the knees. If he sees a pitch headed for the knees, he should automatically take, but he rarely holds off on that pitch. That is one thing I am seeing from Pham this year – he has really improved at pitch selection, laying off a lot of those low deliveries. Grichuk has never learned that. Maybry needs to tell Grichuk to watch Pham’s approach and learn from it. Pham swings at more pitches he can square up, and lets go pitches he cannot do much with. Plus he’ll take that outside pitch to right field, which was a major flaw in Diaz’ approach this year. Diaz pulled off everything, even pitches in the left-hand batter’s box. Grichuk is similar, although he does go to right occasionally. Grichuk’s weakness is the pitch down in the zone.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree about Carpenter. Either Garcia or Gyorko would be better at second. Why not just put Carpenter back at third instead of having more players not at their optimal positions?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I like Carpenter-Pham in the first two spots. It sets the tone for the lineup as both guys have some on base skills and pop. Piscotty is sort of stuck at #3, although if he comes around he would be a great asset there with his (traditionally) strong RISP hitting.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Weather Channel radar shows some green stuff west of St. Louis. Probably about an hour away as I type this. Any rain in the forecast for Busch today?

r/Rat

Cardinals2016

Free

Greg Garcia has raised his OPS 69 pts with two games

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

This game went south in a hurry with a rough 6th inning. Marlins take advantage of our weaknesses (pen and defense) to strike for 5 runs and lead 5-2. Plenty of time to come back though, as Voit leads off the 6th with a single.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by EuroWolf EuroWolf.
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Bad Pham today. Four strikeouts, and the last one was a backbreaker. Maybe Piscotty will deliver with two outs and runners on the corners in the 7th

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, we are now 3-2 on this homestand. We need to win 4 of the next 5 to have a good feeling heading into the road trips after the break.

r/Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This series has the stench of split all over it. Seen it too many times the last 2 seasons.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brewers win again. Cubs lose again.

Can this keep up the rest of the year???

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Winner of the Central may be below .500.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With 12 strikeouts today it seemed like no Card was doing much of anything.How ironic Pham whiffed FOUR times today ( I think Grichuk already has Phams approach copied).While I admire Phams tenacity I still think hes a fine 4th OF

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Yep, problem is they were all 4th OFers today, and not so fine at that. Somebody has to pick somebody else up. The OFers were a combined 0 for 11 with 9 Ks I believe. Oh well, good teams don’t do that two days in a row, especially at home against a non-contender. Somebody better produce tomorrow.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point Eurowolf………………nobody really did much today from the OFs.

NJ315
    Participant

Free

One step forward one step back. Running in place is what they do best.

Cardinals2016

Free

Milwaukee’s 6 games over.

Braun has played less than half their games this year.

I think they’ll finish above .500

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

one bad inning…and offense just couldnt get rolling… ill take the loss if it means Rosy and Oh can get back on track though…still werent great but did their jobs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years