mudville

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 3,449 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2026 Draft #313815
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    1982 willie – I get your real world logic about what’s fair to pay a teen or twenty something kid who still teases his sister and gets reprimanded by his mom for not keeping his room clean. But I don’t feel a bit apologetic about giving this kid, or any of these kids for that matter, only a half million bucks.

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by mudville.
    in reply to: TCN’s Monthly Cardinals Prospect Rankings for 2026 #313769
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I know Raniel Rodriguez is constantly referred to as a catcher. But I listened to him say in an interview while playing in Springfield that he needs to work on his catching. It’s a little late for a kid to start working on his catching at AA. I see Rodriguez as our future first baseman. I like Burleson a lot but he could bring a substantial return in a possible future trade. Bernal, IMO, is our future catcher.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #313729
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I know that’s just the way the system works.
    But, for me, handing over 1M$ +++++
    to some teen or twenty something kid is still mind boggling. Not all of these kids will benefit from the money. But at least they’ll have a tale to tell.

    Glad Maniscalco and Randall are signed for my own selfish reasons. And I hope they are successful no matter what.

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by mudville.
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The trade deadline is getting less and less interesting with Romero being post surgery, May showing why the Dodgers cut him, and Nootbaar being interesting but not impressive. I think the teams talking to the Cardinals will be shopping for a bargain.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    It would be helpful if someone who has had appendicitis would talk about what recovery is like. If a player has stitches on their belly, it seems like it would be quite awhile before he could throw a fastball again.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #313433
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I become less interested in a player that would demand that much over slot. Either he’s got a rather grandiose idea of his value, or he’s afraid that he might not be good enough to get a multi million dollar contract some day, so he’d better get it while he has the chance. It could also be that someone is getting inside his head and giving him bad advice. Who knows? Let’s just wait and see what happens.

    BTW, BHC, do you know if Maniscalco can play third base?

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think that I might have said this before. But here it is again. I hate battling and battling to win a game only to have the win given away in the 9th inning. I absolutely do not want to trade O’Brien.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    One of the most painful things that can happen in a game for me is to battle and battle through 8 innings only to lose the game in the 9th.

    I don’t want to trade O’Brien. Nothing to debate. Nothing to argue about. I don’t want to trade him.

    in reply to: Rodriguez #313029
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    There’s a podcast where 3 Springfield players are interviewed. One is Dohm. One Czinje (not sure about spelling). The last is Raniel Rodriguez In the interview with Rodriguez, Rodriguez says his catching isn’t good and he has to work on it. I still say that Bernal is our future catcher.

    I can’t remember the name of the podcast, but it’s there in Rodriguez’ own words.

    in reply to: Leahy as a starter? #312986
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    No trason to think Leahy is not a 2 or 3 starter yet. Don’t feel the same about Liberatore. Still a a reliever, IMO.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312984
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    All that lead up to the draft. And now it all boils down to wait and see in a couple of years.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312639
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I am going with Kuhns as my sleeper pick of this draft. He just looks like he has the all raw materials.

    As we all know the draft is a crap shoot. Anybody can take an optimistic guess. I’ve done a completely unscientific analysis of my guesses and I think I’ right about 40% of the time.

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by mudville.
    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312630
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I like the Condon pick. Plus, plus speed, plus bat to ball skill. Plenty of time to develop with Nathan Church handling CF well while continuing to get better.

    • This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by mudville.
    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312585
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’t made sense to me that the Pirates to have drafted for need. I hope they can luck into a power hitter later in this draft.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312578
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Cardinals are rumored to be looking hard at Hugh school bats.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #312522
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Love stlcard’ mention of a salary floor. Add a salary ceiling. A deal like this will make it easier to stay under a salary ceiling going forward. And then there’s another part of the Owners’ proposal that takes a designated part of the revenue from all 30 teams, adds it together, then divide it by 30, and distribute an equal share to each team. Make that happen, too.

    I disagree with 1982 Willie in that escalating salaries won’t, and in my view, can’t go on forever. Just because it’s been going on for a long time doesn’t mean the future can’t be different. Some semblance of fiscal sanity has to be found.

    You would think that a similar deal is in the works for Walker and Winn.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312433
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    My previous post got posted on the wrong thread. Should have been the game thread.

    in reply to: 2026 Draft #312432
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    In fairness to Pallante he didn’t pitch that badly. He never actually caved. He hung his knuckle curve for a 3 run HR. But the rest of the scoring happened because everything the Brewers hit found a place to snake through the infield or drop just out of reach in the outfield.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The only thing worse than watching Herrera catch the ball is watching Herrera throw the ball.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    This Brewers scoring in the top of the second started with Herrera allowing Pallante’s
    outside pitch to get by him and that allowed the runner to advance.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    You dealt with the emergency really well, Rat. Glad you didn’t quite panic even though it no doubt was a hair raising experience.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    A game like this makes it easier to decide which way to go at the trade deadline.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I wonder if Dustin May’s foot hurt as much as Jordan Walker’s fingers hurt after he got hit by a pitch.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Who’s the brains of the Brewers organization? They’re consistently doing what I can only hope Bloom can do. Same goes for the Guardians. They appear to have an amazing brain trust, also. And as long as I’m rambling, I should also mention the Devil Rays. And there must be teams that I am unintentionally overlooking. For example, the current White Sox, who, to quote the Rev. Jesse Jackson, have recently gone ‘From the outhouse to the penthouse’, at least for the time being. Regardless, if you’re a White Sox fan, you’re diggin’ it.

    Then there is a whole bevy of teams who can’t win without spending exorbitant amounts of cash, or handing out PED’s like it was Halloween candy, or both.

    In the end I want the games to be played for no other reason than to entertain fans by teammates and opposing players playing to bring out the best in each other.

    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’m not as high on Herrera as some fans are. But that’s just my take. His batting stance, to me, is extraordinary and it looks like he’s going to smash the ball far and away each AB. But that doesn’t happen as often as expected.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 3,449 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years