blingboy

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 14,386 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #319386
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Nobody has really stepped up to take it so Jj is still a top contender even with a slower 2nd half and time on the shelf. A homer barrage this week would help.

    in reply to: Reds thread #319371
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I wonder if they miss Marge. World Champs 1990.

    in reply to: Pirates thread #319370
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    The Pirates do not have a monopoly on players looking a bit thick.

    in reply to: Pirates thread #319361
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Marcell Ozuna is the gift that keeps on giving…

    won a $12 million bidding war against nobody

    Losers gotta find ways to lose.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I’ve got my doctor appointment later so i’m getting psyched up to get crabbed at. Din din will be one of those Against the Grain 3 cheese pizzas somebody on here turned me on to. I’m supposed to be minimizing carbs.

    in reply to: Hjerpe #319308
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Hopefully it is the process of getting fully back from arm surgery.

    in reply to: 2026 Recap – Has it been a success? #319300
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    This year’s AA excitement will be next year’s AAA excitement.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    True TD. I am just advising caution. Prior to today the sample size was 15 games. If the good side of that small sample can be extrapolated to say that it looks like catcher is settled, then it is equally valid to extrapolate the bad side, so lets see what that looks like. 4 errors over 15 games comes to 43 errors over 162. 15% CS% against league average 23%. Neither of those numbers will work. So lets get a grip and wait to see what happens.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Catcher is beginning to look mighty settled for the future.

    If it is settled, it will be perhaps the most difficult box checked. I am excited to see how next season pans out.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Looking over the box score only 3 Ks in 7 IP for Mathews is unexpected. Gassy and Riley had clean innings.

    in reply to: Minor League Game thread – 2026 Week 26 #319275
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I think I am in agreement with you gscottar. I think there will be some trading. The thing I am grappling with is what that might look like. How far up the talent scale it might go. At the top end of that scale; might we trade our top prospect for somebody else’s top-ish prospect who is a center fielder? Might we trade one of our most exciting pitching prospects for an exciting center fielder prospect? What if we could trade Walker for a center fielder? Nothing says trading would just be trimming up around the edges. Maybe Bloom lops off an arm or a leg and sews on a different one. I would not see any of that as being inconsistent with the rebuild.

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by blingboy.
    in reply to: Oli Marmol Extension #319273
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Does this speak to the manager or the team’s depth or something else?

    Ollie was hired because he knew Mo’s system and could be counted on be a compliant, non-squeaky cog in the machine. His tenure included the final meltdown as Mo dissipated 100 years of organizational tribal knowledge and bled off the last of 100 years of momentum. Ollie’s record after 2023 is the bottom.

    in reply to: Minor League Game thread – 2026 Week 26 #319258
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Its too bad Jimmie Crooks didn’t get traction in STL. The irregular usage was nothing especially unusual for a guy called up to get a look. If he remains a Cardinal property next season, I could see him getting another chance if the hype shine wears of Bernal, and/or Herrera and/or Pages go elsewhere. If not, he will get a chance somewhere.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    8-5. Sacks jammed, nobody out. Winning run came to the plate three times. Herrera, Walker and Bernal all failed. That’s a loser.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    In the 11th the bad guys score on catcher interference with sacks jammed. Good grief.

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by blingboy.
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Walker and Bernal fail to walk it off, so on to ghost runner ball.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I see we have tied it up in the 9th. And sacks jammed.

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by blingboy.
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    A 4 inning start from one of our top starters is depressing.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    It took McGreevy 88 pitches to get through 4 innings. Incredible. It seems like inefficiency is a recurring theme.

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    He’s not going anywhere.
    Not at all unlike the teams he manages.

    Ouch

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    3B Jose Fermin R
    DH Ivan Herrera R
    RF J. Walker R
    1B Leo Bernal S
    2B T. Saggese R
    SS Masyn Winn R
    CF N. Church L
    C Pedro Pages R
    LF Victor Scott L

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    TD, I agree Ollie stunk a few years ago as to the mechanics in the dugout. I don’t have a feel for the intangibles. He’s only got one year head start on an outsider as far as knowing the new system and a lot of the new faces, which isn’t much advantage. And it seems like Bloom would want his own guy at some point.

    in reply to: Minor League Game thread – 2026 Week 26 #319226
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    What I have advocated is trading from surplus and redundancies for proven major leaguers who have multiple years of control.

    If they are any good, ie keepers for our future, they are not going to come cheap. I would be interested to know what “surplus and redundancies” you would be OK with seeing traded away.

    Our strength right now is not our ML roster, unless you are talking Burly or Walker. JJ has a contract to figure in. Herrera is wobbly. Winn is wobbly. Bernal has some value, at least offensively, but is unproven. We are not going to get good young lineup player for a starter not really good enough to be #5 for us next year. Our strength is our top ranked minor league system, and as has been explained, that is largely based upon the small handful of guys placing high in the national rankings. So, do we trade from that strength?

    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    my plan of attack would be to begin the search for a manager.

    I am not anti=Ollie like I was. That is not to say I am pro-Ollie either. I have no idea about his leadership qualities. I am mostly OKish with his mechanics. Didn’t like seeing the pitchers slot in the lineup due to swapping out the DH, as happened a couple times recently. Don’t really like the constant lineup churn. I don’t get worked up over his pitching moves like some do. He’s got a hard job managing through a rebuild.

    in reply to: 2026 Recap – Has it been a success? #319220
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Thanks for the link, and oh boy, a new stat!

    ” a reliever earns a meltdown when he worsens his team’s odds of winning a given game by 6% or more during a given appearance.”

    The Cardinals pen has 106 meltdowns, 2nd most in MLB. Also 30 blown saves, 3rd most.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 14,386 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years