KeepComingBack

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 2,154 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I think you are right JJ. There is no one else.

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    This is a real question Bling. Who would you hav lead off?

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    JJ was ok there

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I waited as long as I could for you guys.

    “Yes, high altitude in places like Denver (home of the Colorado Rockies) significantly affects curveballs. The thin air at high elevation reduces the aerodynamic force—known as the Magnus effect—that causes a baseball to spin and break. As a result, curveballs lose an average of 2 to 4 inches of downward break.”

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Now that’s what I’m talking about! Sadly there’s some truth to what you say.

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Shouldn’t someone complain about the lineup?

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Seems like I heard someone say that the altitude negatively effects curveballs. Any truth to that?

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    When I decide I have enough $ and retire, I’m going to be like Willie and Bling and just know who is good. But for now, I have to rely on stats If I want to get any kind of idea. Anyway, Looks like the Rox score enough runs to be good. And I know that’s an important stat. Runs are always good. But they sure have a lousy record. So without really looking any further, I’m going to guess their pitching is bad and perhaps their offense is aided by playing half of their games in the altitude of Colorado. Sound right?

    in reply to: Blaze Jordan #315577
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Bling-Jordan is 10x better than what I expected. Thats not a stat but I stand by it. Fielding Run Value is the closest official stat I could find but it’s still not actual numbers that someone records as fact.

    in reply to: Blaze Jordan #315549
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    “Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) calculates how many runs a player saves or costs their team relative to a league-average fielder”

    The defensive runs saved quoted as +5 and +3 are ” relative to league average fielder”.

    The 16 and 2.5 are actual. And really that’s subjective somewhat. Point is the metrics are still not exact. Thats why they keep changing g. I this case if you follow the game you know Winn saves more runs than Jordan.

    Edit: The metrics don’t allow for small sample sizes a lot of the time. you have to dig out the raw #’s.

    in reply to: Blaze Jordan #315538
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Yeah i am surprised too, especially that his DRS exceeds Winn’s.

    Blaze has saved 2.5 runs. Winn 16. That’s why you have to dig a little deeper into exactly what the metric means.

    in reply to: Blaze Jordan #315534
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Maybe they are looking at Jordan manning 3B for a couple years and then see how things look then

    At least the rest of this year and next. Is that a good thing? For Blaze it is. I think they’re waiting for Jesus Baez in 28′ or plug a hole with money we keep hearing might happen. That seems to be the most barren position right now.

    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    That’s a good post Mud.

    in reply to: Minor League Game thread – 2026 Week 19 #315435
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I see Gormans dropping bombs.

    in reply to: Baseball America Cardinals prospect rankings #315419
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Good read thanks Brian. I think that certain traits are important to certain teams really hits home with what the Cardinals do. Those traits have changed under Bloom.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #315377
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I dont watch enough baseball overall enough to judge myself anymore who should win awards

    Some years ago I could tell you a little bit about every single major league player because I had seen them all and than pored over their stats in The Sporting News. The day the new copy showed up each month was like Christmas. Today I watch all the Cardinals games but very little else. When I start hearing about a particular player, I check out his stats. It gives me some idea of why I’m hearing about him. But you still need to get your eyes on him to really appreciate his talents. BTW Willie McGee is my all time favorite player. I take a lot of things into consideration when I say that. I loved the player and the person.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #315319
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    If they voted today JJ would come in 2nd to Stewart…….and I don’t think the vote would be all that close.

    If you are that sure you should lay a hefty wager. The betting odds are around -160 for JJ +130 for Sal

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #315282
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    All I look for is meaningful conversation. If your mind is shut like a trap against metrics, there’s nothing to talk about. I still believe in the eye test as a tool. In reality, Bling is citing metrics in why he isn’t buying into JJ as a better than average player. If I hadn’t watched nearly every inning this year, and only had his stats to rely on, I would say the same. But he is a marvelous talent and I love watching him play. Same with Winn. I love the scouting grades. That’s a numerical grade assigned to a prospects skills. But it’s still dependent on human judgements. You don’t have to sell out to one method of evaluation and completely ignore the other.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #315266
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Sometimes I like players whom metrics aren’t that kind to. You don’t have to base your Fandom on them. Anyone can can identify superstar players without the use of metrics. I have trouble understanding the big conflict. Either use them or don’t. But don’t get mad when you don’t understand what everyone is talking about. Or why some players who don’t have gaudy hr rbi and ba totals are still considered good. Metrics are the language used to discuss the game today by most journalists and announcers. Lots of fans have adapted to it. Literally all teams use metrics heavily to evaluate prospects . And it’s not going away.

    in reply to: JJ Wetherholt #315204
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    WAR has been around for a long time. It’s not a new fancy metric. It gives a player credit for baserunning and defense. You can ignore and or hate it I suppose. It is, however, heavily weighted toward a players FA value. (In case you were wondering)

    in reply to: 2026 Season Trades #315163
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Eagen is a pretty good prospect. Mlb has him ranked much higher (5) than the 13 that the athletic has. He just upped the odds one of the pitching prospects in the system hits.

    in reply to: Rainiel Rodriguez progress report #315027
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    . I think he is an exciting prospect but don’t think he is the slam dunk some people do.

    That’s the sensible view. But most fans don’t do sensible.

    in reply to: Rainiel Rodriguez progress report #315003
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I hope he can play something besid catcher. He

    I think Leo Bernal is forcing that issue. If I was a fortune teller I see Bernal as Primary and RR secondary in 2028. Bernal probably sooner. I think They’re smart to give RR much of 27 in Memphis. If RR can be adequate defensively we have our c/dh tandem for ? Years.

    in reply to: Buyers or sellers #314789
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    I don’t “want” Arozarena and the fo may not either. But I do “want” an outfielder who k < 40% of the time. We don’t have anyone ready who fits that description. And yes, unless Baez shows improvement at aaa he will k 40%. We can’t regress as a team from 2026 if you want the fan base to take you seriously. So you need to bring in an outfielder and flip him like you did May for the pitching staff. It doesn’t have to be Arozarena. But it can’t be low hanging fruit either. We already have that. And it’s getting worse with trading Noot.

    in reply to: Buyers or sellers #314770
    KeepComingBack
    Participant

    Why no confidence in Baez for 2027?

    I wonder what percentage of fans would prefer they sign Randy vs. playing the prospect?

    Interesting questions. If I had confidence in Baez I would have no interest in signing Arozarena. I just don’t want to watch a whole season of sketchy offense throughout the whole bottom half of the lineup. And Baez isn’t going to bring his high strikeout and whiff rate to StLouis and have it suddenly be better. I want to see some improvement before I hitch my 2027 horse to that cart. Maybe bringing him up after trading Noot is a way to get a glimpse of what that might look like? Or maybe not. He probably belongs in aaa until those numbers improve. I’m not for impeding the rebuild. But you have to throw the paying customers a bone don’t you? I would be for signing Aroz until Baez improves his whiff and strikeout “‘s. I’m talking 1 year deal. Flip him at the td if Baez is really ready.

    Edit-If nothing else Lib and Aroz could have some interesting conversations. If Lib is still here.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 2,154 total)

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years