Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 8, 2022 at 4:50 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194594
Thanks Mike! As you probably know, that reference to the former Cardinal righthander was coined by the elder Buck. Andujar would always leave Jack broke up with laughter anytime he would engage him in a pre or post game radio interview on KMOX. He especially liked it when Joaquin would end the interview by proclaiming in his heavy latino accent, “And as you know Jack, I’m a power heater!” Buck would sound as though he were rolling on the floor with laughter. Those old radio interviews were priceless exchanges between two Cardinal fan favorites. Incidentally, I was going to go with “Walkingunderwear,” but being new on here I was somewhat afraid it wouldn’t pass muster with the moderators…Take care and GO REDBIRDS!
Nice! I like to think of myself in the #2 category, but I’m consistently wrong about almost everything. If you don’t believe me, you can ask my supervisor/wife…
I’ll be darned. Until I read the text in the link you provided, I thought maybe the Redbird Big League team could be purchased at a fair market value of approx. $225M…Seemed like a pretty good deal and I was ready to call a few of my buddies to see if we could scrape together the cash…I was gonna tell them we’d make a killing in the parking revenue alone!
August 8, 2022 at 3:05 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194583Arenado’s in the midst of a genuine rampage. It would be foolish to leave his name out of the conversation for NL MVP honors with 54 games still remaining. He’s also now standing @ .301/22/68 and I fully expect him to ramp up the level of punishment he’s been inflicting on the baseball when he returns to his former playing field in Denver this week. And hey…there’s also that glove over on the left side of the IF. From my standpoint, the Redbirds without question feature the two best corner infielders with both the bat and the glove in the entire Big Leagues.
August 8, 2022 at 2:50 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194581Although Goldschmidt continues to swing the bat extremely well, he seems to have leveled off somewhat in terms of subjecting Big League pitchers to intense and inhumane pain and punishment…He seems like a really nice guy so I certainly hope he doesn’t feel any sort of remorse for the utter destruction he imposed on the baseball for what seemed like at least a 7 or 8 week stretch during the months on June and July. he put on a hitting display like I haven’t witnessed since prime Pujols. I was around to see both Mays and Aaron when they were still extremely dangerous and productive and Pujols is without question the best right-handed hitter that I’ve ever seen rip the baseball. Pujols will alway be my favorite Redbird first baseman with the bat and obviously Hernandez with the glove, but Goldy may well be the best rounded first baseman of all three.
August 8, 2022 at 2:14 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194579Yessir! Now’s the opportune time to get real greedy…GO REDBIRDS!
August 8, 2022 at 2:12 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194578I’d say your read on both Pallante and Hudson is a dead accurate one. Like all pitchers, Dak’s best offering is a first pitch strike. Hudson seems to work pretty effectively up until the instant he allows anyone to reach base. Once there is any sort of traffic on the base paths, his reluctance to throw a first pitch strike to initiate the count in his favor is glaringly obvious and seems to inevitably tip the count overwhelmingly to the favor of the hitter. Then he’s left with no other options than to either surrender the BB or give into the hitter in the form of catching too much of the plate. Bad things then do occur. It’s not at all easy watching him work.
August 8, 2022 at 1:28 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194570I certainly haven’t given up hope on Flaherty, but I’ve conditioned myself to forget about him being any sort of substantial factor during the ’22 regular season or the postseason should the Redbirds qualify for bonus baseball after W’s and L’s are tallied after playing 162 games. At any rate, I’m wrong a lot of the time and I certainly hope I’m wrong about Jack.
August 8, 2022 at 1:14 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194567I’m really looking forward to watching Quintana’s follow up act when he takes his turn in the rotation on Wednesday. He certainly deserved to be the winning pitcher of record vs. the Cubbies in his Redbird debut last week. Hopefully he can duplicate his first outing. I’m also with you insofar as it wouldn’t bother me one bit to see Pallante take a turn and work in place of Hudson on Thurs. Nothing at all against Dak, but I say hand the baseball to Pallante and allow him to work while he’s pitching effectively. Why not have another look at him? If he tanks, at the very least you have a better idea of what you have in the deck concerning the 5 man.
August 8, 2022 at 1:00 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194564I understand your viewpoint, but I have no problem with a pitcher checking on the baserunner with the intention of keeping him close or catching him leaning. Especially in a tight and close ballgame, and it really bothers me when the guy working the mound fails to do so. I’ll use Steve Carlton as an example of a guy who had a move to 1B that was an absolute work of art to behold. I’m reasonably certain that he holds the all time record for pick-offs. I’m also pretty sure he holds the all time record for balks…I don’t at all see that type of play as boring.
August 8, 2022 at 12:43 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194563That’s funny! If the legislators of Big League baseball ever mandate that the team owners lower the price of parking and concessions, it will certainly be end times…I paid $20 for a plastic popcorn bag filled with ice during Fri. night’s game so as to be able to rub a couple of cubes of the precious frozen stuff on the back of my neck as I sat sweltering in an atmosphere that seemed not at all unlike the Belgian Congo area near the Earth’s equator. I set the bag under my seat and it transformed itself to luke warm water in about a minute…Oh well, if I’m going to be a sucker, I suppose I should be a quiet one.
August 8, 2022 at 9:51 am in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies #194548I hope I’m not too far off of topic, but I’ll never be able to entirely understand the mindset of which so much focus and effort is placed onto the goal of decreasing the time it takes to play a game of Big League baseball…Three batter rule, silly pitch clocks, and the ultimate insult in the form of placing a runner into scoring position at 2B at the start of an inning of bonus baseball in extras. As a guy who loves the game of baseball, this concept is entirely foreign to my line of thought. I thorougly enjoy watching baseball. Why in the world would I possibly want it to see it end as quickly as possible? I mean, if I’m sitting in a dentist chair or being subjected to an unpleasant session of waterboarding, I certainly want to get it over with as soon as is possible. But if I’m spending an afternoon or evening with Marilyn Monroe or enjoying the action of a Redbird/Yanks game, I say let the action be drawn out for as long as it takes. I’ll take in all 27 innings if they’re presented to me. Long and short…Let’s play three!
They most definitely will need a catcher. It won’t be the same without #4 around. He sure was a good one.
Redbirds are going to need a catcher for ’23 and beyond. You may be right about the genuine possibility of Eddie being shipped in the off season. I can absolutely assure you that there are more than a handful of ballclubs in each league that would love to have him on their roster and would be willing to offer up valueable assets. I’d hate to see him go, but I hated to see Pujols go too…That’s Big League baseball. Heck, my heart was broken when Cepeda was traded for Torre when I was 11 years old. Not to mention Lefty.
I still like to see Eddie in lineup every day. Although he’s been mired in a batting slump, he still places 6th in the NL in runs scored. I believe his bat will improve. When he’s seeing it well he’s a way above average hitter and you need his near flawless glove and can always use the SB threat he provides. Call me crazy, but I think he’s a key component of this Redbird ballclub.
I was wondering the same thing. Pretty certain he’ll share some DH time with AP. He makes me skittish when he has a glove on his left hand…
August 7, 2022 at 8:56 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194515Well, even though I hate off days, I’m sure our favorite team can use a break after sweeping the Yankees in the three games that must have felt like they were being played in purgatory. I went to the night game on Fri. and was miserable in the jungle-like humidity. I sure was glad to see Carpenter tap out for the final out in the visitor half of the 9th so that the thing didn’t go to bonus baseball in extras. I was actually thinking that the blasphemous ghost runner rule may not be so bad of an idea after all if it did indeed go to extras. No, not really!
August 7, 2022 at 8:41 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194514Thanks Pugs! Can’t wait for Tuesday’s game. I hate off days!
August 7, 2022 at 8:27 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194512You’re not joking. My son and I went to the game on Fri. night. Cardinals out and out stole that ballgame after being out hit 10-5. Yankees had plenty of chances. You could seen Boones’ frustrations today when he got the heave-ho.
August 7, 2022 at 8:20 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194511Dem dang Dodgers are looking pretty good. Bring ’em on when the leaves turn brown in the fall! I’m looking for the Redbirds to pick their deep pockets this Oct. GO REDBIRDS!
August 7, 2022 at 8:16 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194509Just saw Betts make a nice play in RF at Dodger Stadium. He’s pretty good…I’d almost swap out Nootz for Mookie…
August 7, 2022 at 8:05 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194506Yeah, I did take a look. I just signed up so, it’ll take me a while to learn the ropes. I guess when the next Redbird game starts in Denver on Tues, someone starts a thread for that game? In any event, thanks for the reply, Bling!
August 7, 2022 at 8:00 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194505Hey Pugs…Thanks for the reply! Heck yeah, I’m interested! I’m just starting to try to navigate this thing, but I should be able to catch on before too long. I used to be on the Cardinal MLB.com game threads for virtually every Redbird ballgame. Were you ever on those? My call sign was Yadi06. At any rate, they were a lot of fun before they shut them down in 2018. Take care, man!
August 7, 2022 at 7:52 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194504Eddie hasn’t been getting the job done for a couple of weeks now, but I still like him at the top of the order. I’m hoping he’ll come around soon. You have to like his glove and his wheels, and in my estimation his overall baseball acumen is off the charts. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him make a mental mistake on the field of play. I also feel he’s above average in the batter’s box. At any rate, he has to improve his OBP and I think he will before too very long. Let’s hope so. GO REDBIRDS!
August 7, 2022 at 7:36 pm in reply to: 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 108 thread – Sunday, August 7 vs. Yankees #194499Yeah, me too. Hey, I’m new on here. Are the game threads pretty active once the ballgame is underway? I was on the MLB.com forums for approx. 7 year before they shut them down. I sure do miss them.
-
AuthorPosts
