Woodford

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 275 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would not complain if they changed out Hudson for woodford. Maybe Hudson could find some consistency in Memphis. (My preference would actually be Pallente in the rotation, Woodford/Thompson/ Fernandez in the pen, and Hudson in Memphis

14NyquisT
    Participant

Getting Montgomery and Quintana has huge implications for the younger pitchers vying for the 5th and 6th spots in the STL rotation. You can put a blanket over Pallante, Hudson, Woodford and Liberatore to fill those slots. It appears that Hudson is the 5th for now putting the others in limbo. I’d say that the organization puts Pallante 6th leaving Woodford to tread water. Also they must feel that Liberatore needs a lot more time at AAA.

And speaking of Memphis…. the present rotation is Liberatore-Woodford-Thomas-Parsons and an opening that was filled by a bullpen game last night. I would think that Pallante should be kept stretched out at MEM to fill that spot.

The apple cart has been flipped over…. but the depth chart very much improved.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny said:

I would think that Pallante should be kept stretched out at MEM to fill that spot.

His four shutout innings on Friday was probably the difference between a win and a loss. Too valuable to send down – at least until the entire rotation shows they can go 6-7 innings regularly.

Agree 100% on improved depth. Bad for guys like Woodford in the short term, but it seems to be an improvement for the team, overall.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have been clear that they are apprehensive about Pallante’s innings piling up. Barring further injuries I don’t think he will be a starter anymore this year. Who knows what 2023 has in store?

If Flaherty comes back in a few weeks I suspect Hudson will lose his spot in the rotation. Marmol didn’t seem pleased with is last performance at all.

As for Woodford, he deserves to be a swingman in St. Louis or at least the long man out of the bullpen. He got squeezed out when Mo made all of those low hanging fruit signings last winter. Mo finally cut bait with Brooks and Wittgren but he just can’t do it with VerHagen and McFarland.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

VerHagen has been on the IL almost continuously since June and was moved to the 60-day IL, so he is no longer blocking anyone from any roster in 2022. McFarland is the last fan punching bag remaining in the pen. (Not defending McFarland, but FWIW, in very limited action since July 1, he has a 0.00 ERA.)

The big issue in the context of this discussion is that the roster changed dramatically with the addition of three veteran 40-man pitchers (2 starters plus 1 reliever) against the subtraction of just Oviedo. Much less roster flexibility remains. Specifically, there is only one “Memphis swing” spot left on the staff – Naughton. And he is likely going back to Memphis when Flaherty is ready.

All these 40-man pitchers are already in Memphis and most have a case to be made why they should be back in St. Louis – Woodford, Thompson, Liberatore, Romero, Whitley, Fernandez, Pacheco and Naile (plus Walsh when he comes off the IL).

Adding more depth means the guys on the bubble have to wait longer.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have positioned themselves well with pitching depth throughout the remainder of the season. Looks like Woody, Thompson, Libby et al will need to make their case for the big time in Spring Training 2023.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m hoping Woodford gets traded so he can live his dream

Cards667
    Participant

Free

He has another option year and limited trade value right now. Doubt he’s traded. I suspect 2023 rotation is going to be Flaherty, Montgomery, Mikolas, Matz, and ??. (Flaherty, Montgomery, Mikolas all FA after 2023) That last spot would probably favor Hudson, but I could see him traded and it be open to Pallante, Liberatore, Woodford. If Pallante starts then a long relief role could be open to Woodford, or he could still be optioned and kept at SP depth. I know it’s not ideal for him, but he’s under team control and at the mercy of the Cardinals another season. Why they have option years, his time will come to get a chance or wash out like many others before him.

bccran
    Participant

This is a perfect situation for Woodford. Not VerHagen. Not Wittgren. Not Stratton. ……Woodford.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

VerHagen is under contract and you know he’ll get first crack, Reyes (also FA after 2023) if healthy is going to occupy a spot.

bccran
    Participant

I believe VerHagen is gone, 667.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, VerHagen is done for the year. Woody wasn’t used much when there was a pressing need, so he won’t be used now that Mo has invested in reinforcements. We can move on.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Libby stinks it up in Memphis, maybe Woody will be a September call up to give other guys a bit of a break before post season. The Woody groupies among us can hope for that.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I’d think it will be 1 bat and 1 arm.
    Bat will be Yepez and arm will be Thompson or Fernandez.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That makes sense 007, and It seems like Ollie is more willing to use those guys.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

VerHagen is still under contract for 2023 so you can bet he will be on the roster opening day. The Cardinals do not like to eat money.

ejgonz22
    Participant

Free

I’m also guessing Reyes gets non-tendered. The bullpen is tight on spots. I hope they hold on for one more year though.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Right now I’m feeling good with the pitching depth for the rest of ’22 and next season seems like a long ways off. Wainwright may still be in the picture in ’23. Flaherty and Matz both have lost their ’22 season and their spots have already been filled…. what they look like next season is more important at this point. I’m a little surprised at hearing the lack of faith in Quintana.

We’ll have to weed out the young rotation contenders at ST…. Liberatore-Pallante-Woodford-Hudson-Thomas-Parsons. There will be plenty of arms at Jupiter in Feb.

Right now I’m a lookin’ at October.

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

Woodford is schedule to pitch Thursday/Friday, this would be a perfect to get him up and Thompson.
    Get Hudson down to work on a rhythm, Packy down just ’cause he should be, and simply release McFarland.
    But, if I had to guess, Marmol will do nothing. Par for the year.

Lee
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually think they will bring up Woodford and maybe Thompson. OM needs to make some sort of move and get some fresh pitching in. Woody and Thompson have been doing very well in Memphis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cf33 said:

Marmol will do nothing.

The manager does not set the roster. The front office decides who is released, who is sent down and who is called up. The manager decides how to use the players he is provided in games.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Woodford? I’m beginning to believe he may be stashed away in a safe house somewhere outside of the Western hemisphere. I’m reasonably certain there’s been no mention of him in the sports section or anywhere else in the StL. newspaper for months. Speaking of which, Hummel’s still okay, but the other guy who reports on the Redbirds is entirely incoherent. Every time I attempt to read one of his game recaps, I feel as though I’ve taken a sedative in order to counter the effects of vodka…I sure do miss Joe Strauss.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Hey Brian…Entirely true, but in my view, no Redbird manager has had any substantial degree of influential input concerning Redbird roster decisions since TLR quit the building.

CardsFan333
    Participant

Free

As well as Woody has been pitching, it is certainly possible he is called up.
    I got $100 he gets called up in the next 2 days….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford has been freed. There is dancing in the streets.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 275 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.