Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
I’ve also noticed that it sometimes seems as though 20 or 30 different roads, avenues and thoroughfares in StL Co. claim to be Rte 66 with countless numbers of those “historic” signs. It’s my guess that it costs a small fortune to not only make, but also for the installation and maintenance of all those fancy looking signs. I’m also guessing someone or other is probably getting a nice little kickback dividend on those signs.
The full extent of my experience and interest in what I knew to be Rte 66 was limited to the Rte 66 Drive in and the Coral Courts motel…Both of which were located on Watson Rd.
Haha…We were fortunate enough to have had a guy named Mr. Weber who’s house stood on about 2 acres of land that was covered with grass that he would keep in better shape than did any groundkeepers that took care of the fields that we played organized little league games on. He would get out there on his rider while dressed out in his bibs and straw hat in order to mow and manicure that green grass in a manner that looked almost as good as any field you’d see at a Big League ballpark. We’d normally meet up by around 9 or 10 in the morning and, depending on how many guys we had, play some form of baseball on his property nearly every day until dusk when the purple martins or barn swallows and bats would show up for their daily skeeter supper…Later on I came to realize that the old guy did all that hard work because he enjoyed seeing us kids have a nice place to show up and play baseball and have fun. Mr. Weber was first rate.
-
This reply was modified 14 hours, 36 minutes ago by
1toughdominican.
Yeah, the Rte 66 thing is way out of hand. Not too long ago I was running a couple of errands and while driving down Manchester Rd. a little East of I-270 I saw about a half dozen of those fancy looking signs that proclaim, “Historic Rte 66” in less than a one mile stretch of road that’s burdened by a traffic signal and numerous fast food joints and convenience store/gas stations at nearly every intersection. It’s silly.
Way off topic, but I happened to look up and glance over at the TV to see the image of some poor dumb SOAB dressed in a bright red slicker coat and gripping a microphone in his hand whilst standing out in the driving wind and rain associated with a hurricane somewhere near Pensecola in FL. He was soaking wet and being tossed about by strong gusts of wind and looked as though he didn’t possess the common sense that God bestowed upon a Billy goat…These TV networks will do anything at all in order to obtain a ratings boost. In any case, I genuinely hope he doesn’t get zapped to the point of having to be swept into an ashtray by a downed power line.
Sounds like a flock of ladies waiting for their favorite beau’s to come and woo them off to lovey dovey land…
I’m guessing that baseball stays imbeded in one’s heart the longest because it’s the sport that’s most associated with young boyhood, dads, and the lost innocence of youth. You had your mitt, your bat and your pals and if you weren’t playing catch, hot box or indian ball from sun-up to sundown, you were suiting up for your little league game or following your favorite team and players via radio, trading cards, the box score, the occasional televised road game or, best of all, fun at the ol’ ballpark where an autograph or a souvenir carried as much weight and prestige as did a Corvette or Boss 302 in years to come. Baseball is just what we did for the spring, summer and early autumn. At any rate, I’m aware that time moves on, but baseball was the first in rank game of my youth before Nancy came along…Haha!
-
This reply was modified 15 hours, 59 minutes ago by
1toughdominican.
I do the precise same thing regarding NFL football, ZTR, and at one time I was a rabid and raging fan of professional football before the game began to quickly deteriorate during the onset of the 90’s. Same with the NCAA basketball tournament before the endless hype and corporate sponsorship took center stage at around the same time that the NFL took a nose dive. Big League baseball is my last bastion concering any interest in professional sports and I can certainly sense the possibility that even that last bastion could vanish. That’s a shame, but it’s the reality.
I recall in the early 90’s when the Cardinals were pretty doggone bad my son, who was just coming of age as an 8 or 9 year old as a baseball fan, was a huge fan of Frank Thomas. And so was I. People sometimes overlook the fact that “The Big Hurt” had a stretch of 10 or 11 seasons early in his career that were as outstanding or better than many of the all-time greats, including Pujols. In any case, it’s a shame that he was never a member of a team that was able to advance to a WS
Pretty soon they’ll have so many post-season games to play that they’ll be able to scrap the regular season.
The Indians really on the warpath up in CHI as they’ve pushed 6 runs across HP and are still batting in the visitor half of the 6th to extend their lead to a commanding 9-4 lead over the White Sox.
That’s a combined 13 BB’s in this baseball game and we’re only 1 out into the visitor half of the 6th inning. Lots of slop in these pitching performances tonight. I’m guessing that the Dodgers/Brewers will feature a bit less slop.
So far 3 of the 4 participants in the LCS are not only winners of their respective divisions, but also possess the 3 best regular season records in baseball. The Indians still have an outside chance to make the division winner proposition a 4 for 4 affair, but with 2 of the ALWC qualifiers having more W’s than either the ALC and ALE division winners, that wouldn’t have a possibility. In any case, we’ll get a look at the best teams in the game competing in the LCS which is, in principle, how it’s supposed to pan out.
I’m reasonably certain all 3 players you mentioned were more than happy to leave StL, Bikemike. I also continue to believe that word around the campfire among players is that the Cardinals are no longer an organization that is deemed to be an attractive employer.
I’m more than a little surprised that Boone has survived for 9 years in NY.
Yeah, that’s a fact that pretty much shoots down the claim that a franchise can secure a championship entirely via the dollar. However, the Dodgers have demonstrated how successful a franchise can be when money is coupled up with a first rate baseball operation such as the Dodgers.
I would have never guessed that there were that many, but a total of 10 teams have overcome an 0-2 deficit in a best of 5 postseason series to advance. The one that always stands out to me is the Cubs/Padres ’84 NLCS, but I wouldn’t have been able to name any of the 9 others off the top of my head. In any event, with a W today in CHI, the Indians can assure themselves of a game 5 at home in CLE, so I’d have to say that the White Sox are feeling a bit of pressure concerning the need to conclude this NLDS this evening in CHI.
I wasn’t aware that they awarded a MVP in a LDS.
And the Brewers advance to face the Dodgers with a 3-1 W over the Padres in SD. With 203 W’s between these 2 formidable baseball teams, the ’26 NLCS should provide some first rate post-season action.
Or, if they don’t like the way a baseball game is played, just play soccer instead…
You may get that WS matchup, Willie. I hadn’t seen any of the Rays but they looked really good to me during this 3 game ALCS. And we all saw plenty enough of the Brewers during the regular season to know they’re a very good baseball team.
The Yankees are calling in tee time reservations as the Rays lower the broom at Yankee Stadium with a 4-3 W and an ALDS sweep to advance to the ALCS.
If you think Redbird attendance is suffering keep in mind that the Rays won the ALE by placing 97 W’s into the books this season and were still only able to click the turnstiles a shade over 1.4M times which was second to being dead last in the AL. If that were Willie Jr’s team, he’d move them to Little Rock…
Tatis taters up with a solo HR in the home half of the 3rd inning to lock this game into a 1-1 tie in SD.
Brewers break thru to take a 1-0 lead over the Padres on a 1 out RBI single from Mitchell in the visitor half of the 3rd inning at SD.
-
This reply was modified 14 hours, 36 minutes ago by
-
AuthorPosts
