2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 109 thread – Tuesday, August 9 at Rockies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:40 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (8-8, 2.92) vs. RHP Ryan Feltner (1-3, 5.75)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSE and BSSW+

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Mikolas, Quintana, Hudson for the series.

Would love to see Pallante swapped out for Hudson and then Woodford up and Hudson to Memphis while he gets back on track.

I think Hudson will come around but would rather see him work things out at AAA – if that is possible…don’t know of they can send him down without his permission at this point or not.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think Hudson ramping up from 39 innings in 2020, then TJ, 26 innings last year and now over 100 might be a bullpen candidate if Flaherty indeed comes back. Waino, Mikolas, Montgomery and Quintana for sure would be ahead of him in a playoff rotation.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I hope I’m not too far off of topic, but I’ll never be able to entirely understand the mindset of which so much focus and effort is placed onto the goal of decreasing the time it takes to play a game of Big League baseball…Three batter rule, silly pitch clocks, and the ultimate insult in the form of placing a runner into scoring position at 2B at the start of an inning of bonus baseball in extras. As a guy who loves the game of baseball, this concept is entirely foreign to my line of thought. I thorougly enjoy watching baseball. Why in the world would I possibly want it to see it end as quickly as possible? I mean, if I’m sitting in a dentist chair or being subjected to an unpleasant session of waterboarding, I certainly want to get it over with as soon as is possible. But if I’m spending an afternoon or evening with Marilyn Monroe or enjoying the action of a Redbird/Yanks game, I say let the action be drawn out for as long as it takes. I’ll take in all 27 innings if they’re presented to me. Long and short…Let’s play three!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

All of these rule changes are done in an effort to speed up the game.

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT 15 MINUTES???????

Leave the game alone Manfred. Leave it alone.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The rules changes to speed up the game aren’t intended to satisfy hardcore baseball people like the folks on this board. They are intended to engage the large number of casual fans who have an extremely small attention span. In other words, MLB doesn’t want the casual fan switching channels the moment there is a lull in the action. It is all about the TV revenue.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

I think anything to speed up the game is a welcome improvement. One thing is a longer game because of a lot of scoring and action but those let’s take forever to pitch and throw multiple times to first base….boring. Get the ball throw the ball. Keep the line moving.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lowering the mound was the beginning of the end.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That’s funny! If the legislators of Big League baseball ever mandate that the team owners lower the price of parking and concessions, it will certainly be end times…I paid $20 for a plastic popcorn bag filled with ice during Fri. night’s game so as to be able to rub a couple of cubes of the precious frozen stuff on the back of my neck as I sat sweltering in an atmosphere that seemed not at all unlike the Belgian Congo area near the Earth’s equator. I set the bag under my seat and it transformed itself to luke warm water in about a minute…Oh well, if I’m going to be a sucker, I suppose I should be a quiet one.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I understand your viewpoint, but I have no problem with a pitcher checking on the baserunner with the intention of keeping him close or catching him leaning. Especially in a tight and close ballgame, and it really bothers me when the guy working the mound fails to do so. I’ll use Steve Carlton as an example of a guy who had a move to 1B that was an absolute work of art to behold. I’m reasonably certain that he holds the all time record for pick-offs. I’m also pretty sure he holds the all time record for balks…I don’t at all see that type of play as boring.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’m really looking forward to watching Quintana’s follow up act when he takes his turn in the rotation on Wednesday. He certainly deserved to be the winning pitcher of record vs. the Cubbies in his Redbird debut last week. Hopefully he can duplicate his first outing. I’m also with you insofar as it wouldn’t bother me one bit to see Pallante take a turn and work in place of Hudson on Thurs. Nothing at all against Dak, but I say hand the baseball to Pallante and allow him to work while he’s pitching effectively. Why not have another look at him? If he tanks, at the very least you have a better idea of what you have in the deck concerning the 5 man.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont really know if Hudson will ever be able to be consistent. His main issue is throwing too many pitches to get outs. A lot of guys usually have an inning or two like that but then have a few quick innings. Doesn’t ever seem like Hudson has those quick innings or not enough of them. Pallante has from the moment I saw him been a effective pitcher regardless of role. Going against normal ways of doing things and bringing him up this year right out of spring training is one of the best moves the Cardinals have made in a while.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I certainly haven’t given up hope on Flaherty, but I’ve conditioned myself to forget about him being any sort of substantial factor during the ’22 regular season or the postseason should the Redbirds qualify for bonus baseball after W’s and L’s are tallied after playing 162 games. At any rate, I’m wrong a lot of the time and I certainly hope I’m wrong about Jack.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Hudson walks are a concern. He is averaging 3.9 (let’s make 4) per 9 innings. He led the league in 2019 with 86 walks. Too many pitches short outings not good.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think flaherty will ever be the same but I hope to be proven wrong. Personally I think it would be smarter to go slow and bring him slowly along this year, not with the big club, and set up a good program for off-season to get him strong for spring training. But that’s just me.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is everybody aware the Redbirds currently are on a seven (7) game winning streak?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I’d say your read on both Pallante and Hudson is a dead accurate one. Like all pitchers, Dak’s best offering is a first pitch strike. Hudson seems to work pretty effectively up until the instant he allows anyone to reach base. Once there is any sort of traffic on the base paths, his reluctance to throw a first pitch strike to initiate the count in his favor is glaringly obvious and seems to inevitably tip the count overwhelmingly to the favor of the hitter. Then he’s left with no other options than to either surrender the BB or give into the hitter in the form of catching too much of the plate. Bad things then do occur. It’s not at all easy watching him work.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yessir! Now’s the opportune time to get real greedy…GO REDBIRDS!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great timing with the Cards heading into Denver…

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Although Goldschmidt continues to swing the bat extremely well, he seems to have leveled off somewhat in terms of subjecting Big League pitchers to intense and inhumane pain and punishment…He seems like a really nice guy so I certainly hope he doesn’t feel any sort of remorse for the utter destruction he imposed on the baseball for what seemed like at least a 7 or 8 week stretch during the months on June and July. he put on a hitting display like I haven’t witnessed since prime Pujols. I was around to see both Mays and Aaron when they were still extremely dangerous and productive and Pujols is without question the best right-handed hitter that I’ve ever seen rip the baseball. Pujols will alway be my favorite Redbird first baseman with the bat and obviously Hernandez with the glove, but Goldy may well be the best rounded first baseman of all three.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Arenado’s in the midst of a genuine rampage. It would be foolish to leave his name out of the conversation for NL MVP honors with 54 games still remaining. He’s also now standing @ .301/22/68 and I fully expect him to ramp up the level of punishment he’s been inflicting on the baseball when he returns to his former playing field in Denver this week. And hey…there’s also that glove over on the left side of the IF. From my standpoint, the Redbirds without question feature the two best corner infielders with both the bat and the glove in the entire Big Leagues.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see the fan reaction to Arenado this week. I will be at the Thursday afternoon game and will witness it in person.

Hudson relies a lot on the sinker, and that is great if he can locate better. He is always a pitch away from getting out of serious trouble when a runner is on first.

I think he and Flaherty will both be better than recent results, but most of that will be next year for Jack.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A bum shoulder has an unpredictable trajectory. Jack has had some level of structural damage for a while, however much he downplays it. It probably will come down to him having to learn a different arm action that his shoulder can tolerate better. No telling if he would be effective. I’m guessing he will be out of runway here before anything good happens. More likely to matter is whether Hudson and Libby pan out like we hoped.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anyway, you have to like our chances here with Mikolas going and the pen rested. But the chance to increase our lead over The Crew is not great since they have Woodruff going. It won’t be a good sign if Gorman sits vs a righty again like Sunday.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

A little trivia contest on an off day…Without looking it up, can any of you Redbird fans name the Cardinal who collected the most RBI in the 2011 WS? The winner is eligible to be a finalist for a game worn Chuckie Fick Cardinal jersey from 2012…I’m certain everyone remembers Chuckie…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.