Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 22, 2026 at 7:26 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #131 thread – Saturday, August 22 at Philadelphia Phillies #316876
Is Pages going to get the best pitching results of the day?
August 22, 2026 at 7:06 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #131 thread – Saturday, August 22 at Philadelphia Phillies #316871It definitely wasn’t batting practice Bling. At least not vs Matthews. Lots of balls that just eluded our fielders off awkward swings. Didn’t get much help from the D either. Blaze let one dribble by he probably should have had. Church let one drop in front of him. Baez let one drop in front of him. And Weatherholt missed a grounder going to his right that Winn would have likely gotten. I thought Matthews was far better than last game. But them’s the breaks kid. As several have said, welcome to the big leagues.
August 22, 2026 at 6:02 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #131 thread – Saturday, August 22 at Philadelphia Phillies #316860Ok. That last one was right down the pipe. But mostly it’s been good pitches with bad results.
August 22, 2026 at 5:58 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #131 thread – Saturday, August 22 at Philadelphia Phillies #316858I actually think Matthews is pitching just fine. He was trying to be a bit too fine early and has wasted a few pitches but otherwise good. Just bad results. Sometimes that happens. It’s not like he can’t throw strikes or is out there throwing pitches down the middle. Baseball is the only sport where you can do well and still be terrible. It’s weird.
Best interview yet. Great questions and insights gained. Thanks Steffen!
I’m not really a fan of that move but I guess it’s possible it could work out.
The team is going to have to figure out this catcher logjam. If it were me, and I’m probably in the extreme minority, I’d try to trade Crooks this offseason and consider dealing Herrera too if the offer is right. I’m ok keeping Herrera until the next deadline as well. Bernal should get 70% of the starts, with Pages and Herrera splitting the leftovers. At some point, we should try to get to Bernal & Rodriguez as the only 2 catchers on the roster with Rodriguez also playing a lot of DH. I’m not sour on Crooks. I just think Bernal is the better player all around.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
Jnevel.
Brian, I thought hard about Clemente. I maybe should have put him in the next group up. Good points.
I believe Mendoza, Clemente, Saladin, Davila, and Rincon are all set to be Minor League free agents if they aren’t added to the 40-man roster. That may be enough reason to add Rincon and Clemente.
I should have added Sammy Hernandez, Yordalin Pena, and Jose Davila into that last group as well. None of those will be taken but they are interesting prospects at least and eligible to be taken.
The team has added most players that needed to be added already. Assuming there is a Rule 5 draft, here’s where I have everyone in descending order of likelihood they are taken:
Needs to be added (will be taken otherwise): Jesus Baez
Should consider being added (10-60% chance of being taken): Jacob Odle, Cade Winquest, Won bin Cho, Chase Davis, Chen Wei Lin, Ixan Henderson, Hancel Rincon, Colton Ledbetter
Almost Certainly Safe (<10% chance of being taken): Pete Hansen, Randal Clemente, Tre Richardson, Ramon Mendoza, Austin Love
Other Prospects of Note that become/are Eligible: Noah Mendlinger, Travis Honeyman, Zach Levenson, Jose Suarez, Skyler Hales, Darlin Saladin, Ancelo Encarnacion
I would bet that the Rule 5 draft gets cancelled. I still think we may see Winquest and/or Rincon get added before season’s end to help the bullpen.
August 19, 2026 at 7:52 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #128 thread – Wednesday, August 19 at Cincinnati Reds #316586Liam Doyle just struck out 7 in a row and 8 of his last 9.
August 19, 2026 at 7:44 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #128 thread – Wednesday, August 19 at Cincinnati Reds #316584Yeah, I’m not sure if he just gets fatigued and starts grooving lots of pitches down the middle or what. He threw about 4 of them there that last inning.
August 19, 2026 at 7:35 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #128 thread – Wednesday, August 19 at Cincinnati Reds #316578And then it all fell apart . . .
The pitching still has looked sharp although the 3-run homer pitch to Stewart was not so sharp.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by
Jnevel.
August 19, 2026 at 7:16 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #128 thread – Wednesday, August 19 at Cincinnati Reds #316576Libby looks fantastic tonight albeit against the Reds offense. Still, his pitches are breaking nicely and his control seems good.
August 19, 2026 at 7:07 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #128 thread – Wednesday, August 19 at Cincinnati Reds #316574(Dropping of a pin)
I fully enjoyed this one. I like most all of them but this one in particular. Kyle and Brian are becoming something like listening to two old friends of yours chatting in the background. I appreciate both of them more and more as time goes on for the perspective they bring on the team and game I love to follow.
Rotation and Bullpen by July 2027 (barring injuries or offseason acquisitions):
Matthews
McGreevey
Leahy
Pallante
FittsDobbins
Gastellum
Graceffo
Rajcic
O’Brien
Roby
Mautz
LiberatoreAlso on the bullpen shuttle:
Rincon
Winquest
Svanson
Henderson6/7/8 Starters:
Hjerpe
Cijntje
DoyleOther 3 Memphis Starters getting close:
Franklin
Fajardo
EaganThat should make for some interesting decisions around the trade deadline. It’s kind of like our position with catchers where we almost have to trade one . . . or two.
August 17, 2026 at 8:37 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #126 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 2) #316454Hard hit right to Jordan at 3B gets through and Reds win. We really need to do all the little things right to have a chance with this team. We didn’t do that in the nightcap.
August 17, 2026 at 8:33 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #126 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 2) #316453That missed steal by Winn probably cost us this game.
Going to bottom of the 10th still tied with 1TD’s favorite ghost runner plus the heart of the Reds order due up all against Bruihl.
August 17, 2026 at 8:21 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #126 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 2) #316448I think that may be the longest true reliever outing of our season (not counting the piggyback starters). 3 innings by Stryzlecki. Allows a homer after 2 2/3 before finishing them off. But that puts us in extra innings on a double header day.
August 17, 2026 at 8:04 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #126 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 2) #316445I guess the Reds fortified their pen today with a couple minor league pitchers on their shuttle so they may have the rest advantage if this one were to go to extras.
Stryzlecki gets through his second inning. He allows a double off the 3rd base bag, but that was it for damage. At least no walks!
Heading to the 9th up one. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bruihl is our closer for this game.
August 17, 2026 at 7:57 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #126 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 2) #316444Torres comes through with a key base hit. It would have plated 2, but Winn forgot to run on the double steal so only Walker scored. Hopefully we can hold this one with a short pen. Reds have an extremely short pen as well.
Stryzlecki back out in a key spot in the bottom of the 8th.
August 17, 2026 at 3:53 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #125 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 1) #316418I figure Bruihl can go 2. Stryzlecki probably 1. Ferguson could go 1. Stanek or O’Brien could maybe each come back out for 1, but that’s not ideal.
We could see a transaction between games for Graceffo or Gastellum, although I’d hate to see it. But I could see Winquest getting added between games (or whomever they brought along in case needed).
August 17, 2026 at 3:24 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #125 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 1) #316413Well Rats, what do you have to say for yourself?
2-1 winner is the final. I’m not sure I’d classify this one as a pitching duel. Some bad breaks for the Cards offense. Good pitching from us though aside from some wildness early by Matthews. That all made for a pretty boring game.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by
Jnevel.
August 17, 2026 at 1:43 pm in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #125 thread – Monday, August 17 at Reds (DH Gm 1) #316408He’s overthrowing everything trying to pile up strikeouts to make a good impression. The Reds started off swinging at everything and have learned to watch it go by for a ball.
August 17, 2026 at 10:22 am in reply to: St. Louis 2026 Game #124 thread – Sunday, August 16 at Chicago Cubs #316396For what it’s worth, an article at Viva El Birdos today highlights how much better Burleson might be if he didn’t have to hit at Busch. Then, Kyle Reis reposted something showing Burleson would have had 30 home runs now if he was at Dodger Stadium or 29 in Cincinnati vs 19 at Busch. Busch can be tough on left handed hitters (which is good for our pitchers!) compared to most other ballparks.
It doesn’t really matter because he’s playing half his games at Busch. But he might be worth even more to another team than he is to the Cardinals. I’m not at all wanting to trade Burleson. I love having him on our team. I just would always listen if someone is willing to pay more than he’s worth.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by
Jnevel.
-
This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by
-
AuthorPosts
