Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Viewing 25 posts - 1,726 through 1,750 (of 2,445 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For Alcantara the Cardinals would probably have to give up Walker, Gorman, Graceffo, and Carlson. No thanks.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

For Alcantara the Cardinals would probably have to give up Walker, Gorman, Graceffo, and Carlson.

And then we know exactly what would happen to Alcantara within a month after the trade.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And then we know exactly what would happen to Alcantara within a month after the trade.

An expensive extension that we’d regret by the end of it?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

We do not know what would happen. Some trades work and some don’t…Goldschmidt & Arenado did. Alcantara didn’t etc.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about Hand for Luken Baker? Not trying to low ball Colorado because I think Baker could flourish in Mile High as mostly a DH. We could even throw in Romero or Naughton and get a lower minors reliever.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hand has been a March signing the last two offseasons. There has been ample opportunity for him to sign here. In fact, there were multiple lefty relievers available late this offseason, yet none became a Cardinal. The prize addition to the pitching staff this offseason was a rule5 guy I’d never heard of. He’s cheap.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The prize addition to the pitching staff this offseason was a rule5 guy I’d never heard of.

He’s made a few appearances in Memphis now. I’m not sure how long they can drag out a rehab stint in a Rule 5 situation before somebody gets suspicious.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The most productive free agent signing from the 2021-2022 offseason – Packy Naughton, Drew VerHagen or Steven Matz?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Minor point, but Naughton was a waiver claim, not a free agent signing. Cost almost nothing other than a 40-man spot.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling said:

He’s made a few appearances in Memphis now. I’m not sure how long they can drag out a rehab stint in a Rule 5 situation before somebody gets suspicious.

Teams are allowed per the CBA to have minor league rehabs for pitchers last up to 30 days. Further, Rodriguez has thrown just two innings with Memphis so far. His last time out, he had an error behind him, walked a batter, gave up an RBI single and then was pulled with no outs. That was on Wednesday and he hasn’t thrown since.

So no need to enlist the FBI for an investigation, though a cynic (not that we have any around here!) might suggest he is ready for St. Louis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The most productive free agent signing from the 2021-2022 offseason – Packy Naughton, Drew VerHagen or Steven Matz?

In order I would say:

1. Packy
    2. DVH

3. Matz

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right now, the biggest question seems to be…who do we sell off at the deadline? Flaherty seems obvious if he’s pitching decently at all. Maybe Monty, O’Neill, or Carlson go.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A full scale sell at the deadline would be uncharted waters for the Cardinals. Would they try to get proven MLB talent in return (like Goldy and Arenado) or prospects? A true tear down and rebuild seemed out of the question until now and still is probably not likely. But how do you fix the team by nibbling around the edges?

since1948
    Participant

Free

I watched Adam W. pitch against the Bulls in Durham Sunday. He looks ready. Walker looks unhappy. Hit two deep right center outs, struck out, struck out… He looks like he’s trying to be cautious, but it sort of comes off as not quite being ‘all in’. But what do I know. He’s not even half the age of Adam W., is he?

since1948
    Participant

Free

BTW, it was my first encounter with electronic strike zone challenges. The lady behind the plate didn’t miss any significant call all game. Every challenge proved her correct, including the called strike to end the game, 10-9 for the Redbirds. I think the ability to challenge pretty much eliminates the jawing from the dugout and the posing by the batters when they don’t agree with a call. In other words, technology is wunnerful, we don’t have to go bananas when we don’t like the call, just challenge. If you are wrong thrice, I am told, you can’t challenge any more that game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I doubt if the Cardinals do a true teardown. That has never been their style. It is possible that they offload some of the players who are probably leaving soon anyway (Flaherty, Montgomery, DeJong, VerHagen, Stratton) but that group wouldn’t fetch much.

If it were me I would consider making Arenado available for trade. Now a team trading for him is a team who would be a contender so they wouldn’t give up much MLB ready talent but I would imagine Arenado would fetch another organization’s top pitching prospects, which we need. Something like 3 of the other team’s top 5 prospects, with two of those being pitchers, then throw in a top 20 player from A or AA.

That would free up a lot of cash to spend on high end MLB level pitching over the winter and free up 3B for Gorman.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or Walker. I guess the question becomes, who can play out of position the best, of the two.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I guess trade priorities are now:
    1. Willson Contreras
    2. Paul DeJong (let’s hope for a great year)!!!
    3. Jordan Montgomery

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also posted this in the “What To Do” thread.

Here are our most logical trade candidates as we get closer to the trade deadline:

1. Montgomery: He is in his final year of team control and should have some value even as a rental.

2. Flaherty: He is in the final year of team control and I don’t see him back next year. He probably has little value but we should be able to at least get a low level prospect for him.

3. Burleson: He is a DH who is now blocked from that opportunity.

4. Yepez: See above.

5. DeJong: He is on the final guaranteed year of his contract and might fetch a low level prospect.

6. VerHagen, Stratton, Hicks: All three are in the final year of control and you might get a low level prospect back.

You could also probably move Helsley or Gallegos but those guys could still have value for the Cardinals if used properly.

Mikolas and Matz are untradeable because of their contracts.

I wouldn’t try to trade Contreras. Trading a guy this early into a five year contract would send a terrible message to future potential free agents. We are just going to have to ride it out with him as DH for the foreseeable future.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I should also add O’Neill to the trade list. We should probably move him before he loses all of his value. He might be a non-tender candidate at the end of this year.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Sign Montgomery and Edman long-term.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This roster doesn’t need thinning, it needs ostracizing of multiple roster members. It’s disappointing that I’m already considering possible subtractions at the deadline, and the 2024 payroll totals. Six weeks into a six month season, these thoughts are not what I had in mind.

The position player decisions will be toughest due to the remaining club control of O’Neill, Carlson, Yepez, Burleson, etc.

The pitching side has six FA’s-to-be and one non-tender candidate (Hudson). A walk-away approaches cures alot of this seasons issues, not all (Matz), but many of.

The major logjambs are in the OF and middle infield, and of these players, the middle infield is producing at a much higher level than the OF.

These MI/OF players deserve the playing time priority imo; PDJ, Edman, Noot, Donovan, Gorman and Carlson.

PDJ is off to a fine start, leading the team in ops+, in a smaller sample size. Hopefully we trade him and his club option before the deadline, while he has some value.

While PDJ is at SS, and O’Neill is again riding the IL, I like Donovan in LF, which helps the logjamb on the middle infield.

Contreras at DH still keeps PDJ, Edman and Gorman timesharing SS/2B, and when O’Neill returns, Contreras has to go back to catcher to allow Gorman at DH.

Long story short, I’m ready to move on from PDJ and O’Neill, with Donovan in LF, Carlson CF, Nootbaar in RF, Edman at SS and Gorman at 2B. 1B, 3B and C are locked in with big contracts.

Yepez and Burleson? Well, DH is now open, so they can fight it out with Walker, since none of these 3 brings a mlb avg outfield glove.

Of the pitching FA’s-to-be; Wainwright, Montgomery, Flaherty, Hicks, VerHagen and Stratton, and possible non-tender Hudson, I only want Montgomery back. He’s already using 10mil of our budget in 2023 so a raise on a new contract would be in order if he’d sign it.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I would be shopping either O’Neill or Yepez, and one of DeJong, Edman or Donovan. These guys are all pretty much duplicates of each other. O’Neill is much better defensively than Juan, but is often injured.

Doubt PDJ would bring much, but Edman or Donovan could possibly fetch a decent pitcher for a team needing middle infield/utility help.

I am hesitant on giving up Flaherty since we need pitching, and he could turn things around the second half. Plus at this point he is not going to bring much of anything in return.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

DeJong wouldn’t bring anything more desirable than an IRS tax audit. As much as I like Tommy Edman, he’s the most valuable trade chip the Cardinals both possess and would probably be willing to part ways with. If the Redbirds make a trade this season for SP’ing, it’d be my best guess that Eddie will be the centerpiece of the package that Johnny offers up.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a lot to do with this roster. We could use a couple starting pitchers, and another solid reliever. But the problem is that we weaken the bullpen by moving Matz out of the rotation. I’d be interested if Baker has enough value to fetch a decent reliever. In house candidates like Zuniga and Loutos look possible if we move on from Stratton and/or Verhagen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,726 through 1,750 (of 2,445 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.