Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Viewing 25 posts - 1,401 through 1,425 (of 2,445 total)
  • Author
    LACardFan
    Participant

Free

The only way I would do a deal with Bellinger is a split deal.

Minor League Contract: $1 million
    Major League Contract: $3 million
    Bonus for 100 plate appearances: $2 million
    Bonus for 200 plate appearances: $2 million
    Bonus for 300 plate appearances: $2 million
    Bonus for 400 plate appearances: $2 million
    Bonus for 500+ plate appearances: $2 million

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m thinking that there are other teams might be seeing more value in him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bellinger is also an elite defender plus sometimes a change of scenery can help a player. Also, I think Turner Ward was Bellinger’s hitting coach for two of his very productive seasons. Maybe he could help him out here.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m thinking that TOR may be getting better offers that STL may not be willing to match. TOR could have doubts about O’Neill.

MansSearch
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t disagree about Flaherty being valuable and underappreciated for his value, yet what happens if the negotiations for a longer term contract aren’t going anywhere by the trade deadline and he is performing well as we think he will? They can’t let him get to FA without getting something of value back, can they? Especially when they have long-term SP needs with Waino and Mikolas likely not here next year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They can’t let him get to FA without getting something of value back, can they?

They can offer him the QO next winter and get an extra draft pick.

MansSearch
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They can’t let him get to FA without getting something of value back, can they?

They can offer him the QO next winter and get an extra draft pick.

Good point, and I’m sure they will, but I hope they can get more in a trade than a player from a pick after Competitive Balance Round B (before the third round), because I’m one who thinks he won’t sign here.

KylMss
    Participant

Free

Ken Rosenthal is reporting the Diamondbacks might be looking to deal from their plethora of left-handed hitting CFs. They have Dalton Vasho, Alek Thomas, Jake McCarthy and Corbin Carroll creating a bit of a logjam in their outfield with Vasho and Carroll unlikely to be moved.

My proposal:
    Cardinals: Jake McCarthy
    Diamondbacks: Matthew Libratore

Diamondbacks get some young controllable pitching and the Cardinals get a potential dynamic CF who just finished fourth in the NL ROY voting.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have long believed that Flaherty will play out his arb years and then file for free agency. The Cards will need to either trade him (which I view as unlikely) or make him a Qualified Offer (which I expect he will decline and test the market). Hoping that Jack bounces back and has a career season!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty has much to prove to be worthy of a 1/20mil QO at the end of 2023.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A qualifying offer for Flaherty seems unlikely, unless he is 2020 JF.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about Gallen for Liberatore, Flaherty, and Yepez for him?

And maybe take a flyer on Kirby Yates?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

They already had Gallen…Haha! And I’m not sure they’d part with Flaherty man for man.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The price for Gallen would be huge…. Alcantara?…. maybe the entire Card’s present rotation and the starting OF. Their value has skyrocketed since Mo traded them. But we did get Ozuna for them…. remember him from his STL days? Did we get fleeced or what?

PadsFS
    Participant

14NyquisT

The price for Gallen would be huge…. Alcantara?…. maybe the entire Card’s present rotation and the starting OF. Their value has skyrocketed since Mo traded them. But we did get Ozuna for them…. remember him from his STL days? Did we get fleeced or what?

Not every trade works out. Sure would’ve been nice to have given them Reyes and Fernandez instead though. We did get Burleson as compensation for Ozuna as well.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Well, obviously every trade doesn’t work out, but at the same, not every trade is obviously a vertitable disaster. This one is right in line, or maybe worse than, Carlton/Wise, Hernandez/Allen.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj write…

Flaherty has much to prove to be worthy of a 1/20mil QO at the end of 2023.

GC wrote…

A qualifying offer for Flaherty seems unlikely, unless he is 2020 JF.

On the contrary, if Flaherty is decent (think 25+ starts, ERA mid 3s), I think the Cards know that he will almost assuredly bet on himself. I think in a borderline case the QO is a no brainer for us, because there’s no way he’ll accept it.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yep, he’s impressed me as someone who wants to move on to a different team after he’s beyond the control of his current one. The upside of that is that the work he displays in the ’23 season will be the showcase for what he features once he files for FA at the end of the season. So if his arm holds up, hopefully the Cardinals get a nice year out of him before he packs his bags.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Some players do wonders in contract seasons…. see Fowler.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“25+ GS, mid 3.00’s ERA”

You just described Flaherty’s 2021 & 2022 combined (roughly), so that production of those metrics in 2023, is not far fetched.

23 GS, 3.54 ERA (actual)

I don’t think that production is Q-offer worthy, especially the 114 IP, but Jack might, so I see your point.

If he hits the GS and ERA markers with 150 IP, he has reached the “much to prove” production. The IP is a key for him to re-establish.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

23 GS, 3.54 ERA (actual)

I don’t think that production is Q-offer worthy, especially the 114 IP, but Jack might, so I see your point.

If he hits the GS and ERA markers with 150 IP, he has reached the “much to prove” production. The IP is a key for him to re-establish.

We’re talking about a guy who wouldn’t sign a contract his pre arb years, so I feel like it’s very safe to say he won’t accept a QO unless the case is super cut and dried.

If Flaherty makes 25+ starts with a 3.5ish ERA next year, he should get a QO. If he rejects it (and he almost certainly will), we get the draft pick…sweet. If he accepts it, then he’s shown enough that we get him for one more prime year and that’s one less rotation spot to be filled (I’m already pining for Nola, although I realize that he likely won’t be in play).

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even dealing with injuries he’s mid 3.00’s, so with improved health and more IP I’d want him to accept a Q-offer, which he wouldn’t. Hope.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Daulton Varsho checks so many of the FO offseason needs that I’d have to rank him our #1 trade target.

Catcher ✅
    LH batter ✅
    Outfield production ✅
    Middle order bat ✅
    Plus D at multi-positions ✅

I’d endorse overpaying. ARI wants RH power to balance their lineup. Their pen is a wreck and they need to add to the rotation.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What sort of package would it take to get Varsho? Feels like a “buy high” sort of move.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Varsho would be a good get for the Cards but the asking price would probably be very high. Something like Gorman, Libby, and Noot?

Viewing 25 posts - 1,401 through 1,425 (of 2,445 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.