Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Viewing 25 posts - 1,426 through 1,450 (of 2,445 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another guy I like is Cedric Mullins of the Orioles. He is a LH CF with big power potential. We could offer Hudson, Woodford, and Noot.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I don’t know anything about Mullins other than a quick look at BR. The O’s were much improved and very competitive last season, so do you think they’d be willing to part with their CF’er? I also happened to notice that they have 6 pitchers who made at least 17 starts. I would have to think that Hudson would be the centerpiece of a trade of the guys you mentioned going the the O’s for Mullins. At any rate, you probably have better knowledge of what the Baltimore ballclub’s seeking to improve their team. I’d also have to say that Hudson, Woodford and Nootz would be a pretty good package that most teams wouldn’t sneeze at.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to MLB Trade Rumors the Orioles are looking for mid tier veteran pitching so Hudson and Woodford would fit that criteria without breaking the bank. Noot is cheap also.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The asking price would be steep but I would love to get this guy.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I’ve seen enough of Reynolds to know I’d like to see him in the Cardinal OF. I just don’t know what it would take to entice the Pirates to part ways with him. What do they need besides ticket sales?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I couldn’t see the Orioles parting with Mullins for Woodford or inconsistent Hudson + a prospect or 2.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m willing to stand pat on the position players but the FO will add a catcher.

I’ll take Varsho over Contreras, Murphy, Vasquez, all the offseason names.

O’Neill plus, because ARI wants to add RH power, as a best guess.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Baltimore had a sky-high asking price for Mullins last year, and now they are more competitive.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll take Varsho over Contreras, Murphy, Vasquez, all the offseason names.

I don’t know if Varsho is the better of Murphy (who I’m coming around on more…he could be a Realmuto on a contender). He does have value, to be sure. But his catching numbers are not very good, looks more like an OFer who’s just shy of a total embarrassment behind the plate. If we got him for O’Neill and a B prospect, I’d probably be ok with it. But I doubt that would be the asking price.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

MLB.com, ESPN, MLTR and others always putting out stories of these 3 or 4 teams interested in Player X. It almost never seems that the Cardinals are mentioned as an interested team on any player other than a catcher.

It would seem to my that these “interested” team names are leaked by the agents and not the teams.

Are they really not interested? Does Mo tell agents that if they mention St. Louis the interest will dry up?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The phrase “being interested “ is a subjective term which could mean different things to different people. Baseball writers throw it out there because they have nothing else to talk about this time of year and people like me re-post it to have something to talk about….lol

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding catcher, I’m okay with Knizner starting off the year behind the plate. Nobody can replace Yadi. But I think Knizner can handle the role if given a legitimate chance. Later on in the year we’ll find out if Herrera is the long term answer. I like Herrera’s energy level. He plays plays hungry. It’s far too early to start discounting him, IMHO. I’m not a Contreras fan. He seems like his ego is bigger than his talent and I don’t see him as a team player. And It’s probably going to take 6 years to sign him. The real missing piece in my opinion is that TOR guy, and that might be something unrealistic to expect unless Bieber becomes truly available. His injury history is going to scare of some potential bidders so that will surely lower his price and could ultimately result in a bad trade for the Cardinals. IMO, Flaherty is not the answer. He’s just not reliable. And, honestly, he’s something of a head case.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding catcher, I’m okay with Knizner starting off the year behind the plate.

I don’t think Knizner is the answer, defensively. What’s weird is that his bat has never showed up. I would have believed he’d be an average or better hitter, for sure.

I wouldn’t mind Narvaez and Knizner, with Herrera being groomed as a mid season call for a permanent gig. Vazquez would be a better version of Narvaez. I’m still hopeful that Herrera will be the longer term starter.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Why is Flaherty “something of a head case”?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Glad you like the guy. Everybody needs a friend.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Ok, that didn’t answer the question. He probably has many friends.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Although Jack Flaherty doesn’t impress me as someone who could possibly be labeled as what some would describe as a “head case,” he does impress me as a young man who is not too awfully happy. I can’t really pinpoint anything tangible to explain why I’ve formed that impression. He may simply be frustrated with his inability to reliably take his turn every fifth day. At any rate, it’s no big deal simply because we can’t all be shiny happy people holding hands… Additionally, maybe it’s a good thing because two of my favorite Redbird pitchers, Bob Gibson and Chris Carpenter, never seemed too awfully happy whenever I saw them work to Big League hitters.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Does anyone think that there’s a reasonably good possibilty that the Cardinals ’23 opening day lineup will be as follows? Additionally, do you think upper management may place the entire amount of money that they’ve claimed they’re willing to allocate on a payroll increase on the aquisition of a SP’er? I happen to believe that the Cardinals can retain the NLC crown with this lineup and it’s my guess that so do the Redbird honchos.

Edman SS
    Donovan 2B
    GoldSchmidt 1B
    Arenado 3B
    O’Neill LF
    Yepez/Gorman DH
    Carlson CF
    Knizner C
    Nootbar RF

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1td,
    I’d say you are just about right. The powers that be feel that lineup will be good enough to win the NL Central or at least a wild card and get into the playoffs. Especially if Jack Flaherty rebounds.

I might flip-flop Knizner and Nootbaar, however.

r/Esteemed Rat

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah Rats, they may shuffle the order around, but I think there’s a good possibility that the names will be the same. I genuinely believe the mentioned lineup is better than any other team in the NLC, so I’d have to guess that so do the big bosses. I’m not implying that they won’t do something significant over the winter to improve the ballclub, but if they don’t, I don’t think they’ll lose any sleep over it.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While i’d love Mullins…I’m gonna bark again on Santander (and Mateo) from the O’s…Santander hit 33HRs last year plays a fine LF and is a switch hitter, he isn’t super young (28) so price has to be reasonable and he is relatively cheap salary wise. I think we could get a solid 2-3yrs out of him at worst which lines right up with Walker probably coming into his own.

Mateo makes so much sense to me too, but i get others dont have the same fascination

Santander will be at top of his value, but he provides just about everything we are looking for.

Hudson + Noot + another prospect makes sense to me…
    if we want Mateo…prospect package goes up
    Hudson + Burleson + solid pitching prospect Zach Thompson?

we get to move on from DeJong or stick him in the minors without leaving us without a SS, we get a switch hitting LF hitter with power…all for a relatively cheap price that allows us to go out and buy a new toy for catcher

Oliver
    Participant

Free

We have a Mateo already his name is Tommy Edman and he hits much better than Mateo

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

He’s just a little older than O’Neill and made less money than Tyler did last year. I only took a quick glance at him on BR and he looks good, but I don’t think the O’s are going to be too receptive to the idea of parting with any of their good players. They were a very competitive team last season for a change. I’d have to say they’d like to continue to improve.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for the potential 2023 lineup above, it looks realistic to me except that Mo has repeatedly indicated that they seek an upgrade at catcher, therefore, I am going to take his word for it and assume Knizner will not be in the opening day lineup.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I think you’re right, gscottar. I think they’ll try. However, I can also envision a scenario in which upper management explains that every avenue towards obtaining an upgrade at catcher was thoroughly explored and neither a trade or contract agreement could be hammered out because of either having to expend excessive monetary or personnel resources to obtain an upgrade at the catcher position. That could very well be the case and is certainly both a reasonable explanation and one that has been offered up numerous times in the past. In any case, I feel they think they can win with what they have. I also think they’re right.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,426 through 1,450 (of 2,445 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.