Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 1,351 through 1,375 (of 1,456 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Justin Verlander has opted out.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Maybe Johnny could persuade Verlander to ink a contract with the Cardinals if he promised he’d also hire Dusty to replace Marmol as Cardinal manager? I think both Justin and Dusty would seriously consider an offer like that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If the Cardinals hire Dusty Baker then I have just become a Cubs fan. That would be intolerable to the highest degree.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Lots of Cubbie fans miss Dusty. They often harken back to fond and nostalgic memories of the wonderful Cubbie magic provided by Dusty and Steve in ’03.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

“Sign Bassitt on a 3yr
    Q on a 2yr
    Chafin on a 2yr”
    ——
    MLBTR estimates:
    3/60mil Bassitt
    2/24mil Q
    2/18mil Chafin
    —–
    41mil offseason for 2023. Easy spending their $

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2/24 for Q?

I’m in

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Would the Blue Jays trade Danny Jensen for Datoka Hudson?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Dakota

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Doubtful GameCard, sweeten the pot a bit. I want Hudson gone regardless. Angels need SP, I always think the Cards line up well with them. DeJong would actually be an upgrade for them too.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

GC, it’s buy high time on Jansen and not peak value on Hudson. Club control lines up but recent 2022 results (0.1 vs 2.9) suggests Hudson plus.

It’s a good trade base because I view Jansen as a part time player to date. I don’t trust his bat production to hold up as a primary starter making 100+ starts.

He should help alot in a time share with Knizner if they split the season, so I like the trade thought.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Dejong will not be traded. He has 0 value, and the Cards will not 8.5 million. For example see Carpenter, Matt. Best case scenario is he might get cut next summer.

And while I am in the cut Dejong ASAP camp, I do not want to trade Hudson. Many pitchers have troubles their first year after Tommy John surgery, but also improve in year 2. A good example is Charlie Morton.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cardinals27…I agree on both accounts. Johnny has strongly indicated that DeJong will return as a Cardinal in ’23 and it wouldn’t surprise me too much if he were the starting SS on opening day. I’d also be reluntant to bail on Hudson at this juncture. The list of SP’s who have hit stride in their late 20’s is endless. Just for the Cardinals I can think of Carpenter, Andujar and Tudor.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Carp scenario for DeJong or Fowler scenario?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think it will be the Carp scenario. The front office seemed to view Carp as a Cardinal legend who will wear the red jacket one day so they were going to give him every benefit of the doubt. They did not view Fowler that way nor do they view DeJong that way in my opinion. I don’t think DeJong will be a starter but I could see him staying on the roster as a bench player for a couple of months to see how it goes before being DFA’d. Or they could eat almost all of the salary and trade him like they did Fowler. Either way wouldn’t surprise me.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Fowler stayed on the roster until February, but once roster spots got tight toward the end of the offseason he was moved.

DeJong could hang around like that too, until the FO makes their acquisitions. If they trade a Donovan or Gorman, DeJongs depth value increases, or vice-a-versa if they add an infielder.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think our FO would retrace their steps 10 miles to retrieve a dime. And as far as player status goes they kept Fowler for 4 years, likely 2 too many. I don’t believe Dejong or Verhagen will be cut before midseason next year. But this is one case where I’d be glad to be wrong, because we are stronger without them.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As I mentioned in the 2023 thread I would love to trade for Brian Reynolds. The asking price would be very high though.

DangerZone
    Participant

Free

The things Id personally like to see the Cardinals do…

Get serious in the Turner Sweepstakes, I don’t mean pay whatever. If we get outbid, that’s fine, move on to another Position group. Plan B for the available payroll should be the trade market. Just because there is 2nd tier FA available doesn’t mean they are the answer. That’s how you end up with the Mike Leakes, Tino’s, and Fowlers.

For C I really like Murphy. Something like Carlson, Liberatore, and McGreevey for Murphy and RP Zack Jackson. Little bit of an overpay but probably needed to aquire him. If that fails, then turn attention to one of the 2 Blue Jay Catchers. Stay away from Contreras unless he is only wanting a 1 or max 2 year deal. If we do trade Carlson, I’d like to see us sign kevin kiermaier to a 1yr deal.

(This fantasy only triggers after Turner signs with another team)While the Cardinals might not be good at signing the Tier A FAs, they are extremely good at trading for players who would be a Tier A free Agent in 1 year. Then using that year to sell the player on the team, city and fan base, and then signing them to a multi-year contract. So if Ohtani becomes available, we should be in the thick of all the rumors. Only way a player like him signs a long term, it’s after he spends 5 months seeing how great it is for him to be here.

**Disclaimer: All of the above is my opinion and can be viewed as far-fetched, ridiculous, and stupid. I just had some free time and wanted to rant.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

What I’d like to know is what did Mo promise Arenado that caused him to not opt out.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

You don’t have to worry about Contreras or Ohtani, but always be on the lookout for the Leakes, Fowlers, Ozuna and Cecil types. Pitchers always seem to sting the most. They tend to not only be subject to injury, but can also go South in a hurry when they show up to work games.

Trea Turner? I’m not so sure. The Redbirds already feature a real good IF. The OF needs a little work and when Mike Trout mans up in CF in a Cardinal uniform in ’23, Johnny knows that his bow tied statue will be right next to Musial on Spruce St.

At any rate, dream big in the off-season. Even if it don’t happen, it’s a lot better than losing a 2 run lead in the 9th…

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I never expected Arenado to opt-out. I don’t think the FO told him anything except we want you to stay.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I guess it was never explained to Nolan Arenado that he retained the option of playing for the Dodgers or Yankees. If that’s indeed the case, I’d say he needs a new BA.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I never expected Arenado to opt-out. I don’t think the FO told him anything except we want you to stay.

I agree. Not only did he not opt out but the Cardinals didn’t even have to add any $$ to his existing contract even though he is going to finish top 3 in the MVP vote. He obviously likes it here and was never going to leave. I think having Goldy here is a big deal to Nolan. They seem to be very tight.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I posted this in the Payroll thread but it probably should go here.

I have two trade proposals:

Burleson, Carlson, Pallante, and Woodford for Murphy.

DeJong, Cabrera, and Hudson for Bellinger.

Then sign two free agents:

Adam Duvall
    Jose Quintana

Non tender: Stratton and Reyes

That should keep us close to Mo’s $185M target.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

If Arenado wasn’t promised any BIG improvements then he is foolish for staying. Now, that is IF he wants to win a WS ring. He said he wanted to be on a winner. The Cardinals will always be a winner of the division or slip in as a wild card. If that makes him happy then he came to the right place. But that is all that will happen with this business model. If he wants a ring he should have opted out and singed with the Dodgers where he could, win a WS or a couple because it’s not going to happen here.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,351 through 1,375 (of 1,456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years