Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 1,176 through 1,200 (of 1,460 total)
  • Author
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

DeJong and Cabrera for Grandal and minor leaguer is what came to mind. Cabrera seems to have lost his spot and welcome. He could use a restart elsewhere.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

DeJong, Cabrera for Grandal and a minor leaguer would be playing it safe move I think is a good move and seems right in line with what they would do.

If you want to dream of going “big” then…
    -Nootbaar, McGreevy, Hence for Murphy
    -DeJong, O’Neill, Cabrera for Lucas Giolito (1 yr 3rd arb) and A.J. Pollock (1 yr $10 million, mashes LHP)
    -Hudson for a minor leaguer or 2
    -Sign Brandon Nimmo

1. Nimmo CF (L)
    2. Edman SS (S)
    3. Goldschmidt 1B (R)
    4. Arenado 3B (R)
    5. Gorman 2B (L)
    6. Murphy C (R)
    7. Yepez DH (R)
    8. Burleson/Pollock LF (L/R)
    9. Carlson RF (S)

IF (Robertson?), Donovan – Utility (L), Pollock/Burleson (R/L), Knizner (R)

Flaherty, Montgomery (L), Giolito, Mikolas, Matz (L)

Woodford, Pallante, Romero(L), Stratton, Hicks, Thompson (L), Gallegos, Helsley

I’m sure VerHagen would actually be in Woodford’s spot because they won’t cut ties with VerHagen, but this is a “dream big”.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m predicting Shane Bieber will be a Cardinal by February 1….

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

“Exorbitant” was the asking price this past deadline for Bieber — Jeff Passan

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

667, I dont do Hence straigbt up for Murphy.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Going to take a whole HECK of a lot more than that. I posted this in the Yadi replacement thread, but I’ll leave it here too.
    It’s going to take a haul to land Murphy and Realmuto is a really good comp. Realmuto was traded from Miami to Philadelphia in 2019 prior to his age 28 season. Prior to the trade he signed to avoid his 1st year arbitration. In 2020 lost arbitration. Then signed the biggest contract ever by a catcher to avoid his last year of arbitration in 2021 and lock him down through 2025. So at the time of trade was 28 years old, 3 years of team control still via arbitration, coming off a 126 OPS+ year, 116 OPS+ 3 year avg., and highly regarded defense.
    Murphy will be 28 in a few weeks, so will be 28 the majority of next season, this off season will be his first arbitration year, 122 OPS+ this season, 113 OPS+ 3 year avg (1 year was the short 2020 season), and highly regarded defense.
    It took Sixto Sanchez. Jorge Alfaro, Will Stewart, and international slot money. I know the trade hasn’t turned out for Miami. But at the end of 2018 Philadelphia #1 prospect was Sanchez, Alfaro was #7 (and previously MLB top 100), Stewart wasn’t in their top 30. Side note JoJo Romero was ranked #9. Sliding them into Miami’s rankings Alfaro had lost his “prospect” tag by being in the majors, Sanchez was Miami’s #1, Stewart was their #22 (Alcantara #5, Gallen #19, Austin Dean #27)
    I don’t think Oakland would have interest in Herrera either with 3 of their top 5 prospects being catchers and 1 of them ready and why they’d be willing to move Murphy to make room for him.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

BTV:
    Murphy- 54

Nootbaar- 25.4, Hence- 16.5, McGreevy- 5.1 = 47

If I knew I could sign Nimmo, which is rumored to going to be 5 year $90 million, I’d made the trade in a heatbeat. And I think Oakland would have serious interest in it too.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nimmo has Dexter Fowler deal written all over him. I was a proponent of adding Nimmo for a couple of years, but I’d be pretty leery now.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Nimmo is a HARD pass, the Fowler comp seems about right ST25. I’ll take Noot/O’neill/Carlson in CF over him. It would basically be a Matz type signing, space filler without major upside for way to much payroll space.

Those BTV numbers are absolutely, ridiculously, as worthless as gum under a table at McDonalds.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love the idea of acquiring Bieber…but I’ll add that his velocity being down 2-3 mph from a few years back is worrisome. He’s still getting good results, though.

The question is…what would it take to get him from Cleveland? We have a ton of controllable young talent so if would be a matter of what they want. I know the trade values site is not perfect, but packaging an MLB piece with some minors talent would have to get you in the ballpark, no?

Bieber 57.8

Walker 61.6
    Carlson 50.1
    Gorman 45.9
    Winn 25.5
    Nootbaar 25.4
    Edman 23.4
    Herrera 21.2
    Donovan 19.9
    O’Neill 19.5
    Graceffo 19.4
    Burleson 19.4
    Hence 16.5
    Liberatore 13.5

Walker is probably untouchable. We know the Indians like high impact arms so you’d think they would want one of Hence or Graceffo. I’d offer them Edman, Burleson and Graceffo and see if it’s enough. Likewise you could make Carlson the centerpiece and add some lower end players such as Yepez, Gomez, Thompson or Paniagua.

Of course this is a bet on upside but it’s also going for it in 2023. You can’t expect it per se…but a rotation with Bieber, a healthy Flaherty, Monty, Mikolas and Matz is probably top 5 in baseball (which isn’t to discount Waino returning). Adding someone like Aaron Nola would do the same, although the Phillies probably believe they’re closer to a series run than Cleveland. Of course they are not, because Atlanta and New York are much better than they are.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Bieber’s 5.26 SO/BB rate is as sexy as it can get in my opinion. I personally wouldn’t consider a Walker-Bieber trade due to only 2 years of control left. Or Winn for that matter….

The Indians could definitely use some OF/DH help at first glance. Libby, Burleson and Gomez or Yepez might get it done, especially considering they are winning their division and have hopes to do the same next year one could assume.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Guardians have had a bad OF for several years now. I would do O’Neill, Burleson, and Graceffo for Bieber. The Guardians would still have several good starters remaining but would finally get a little pop in their lineup.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’d do that as well Gscottar. O’Neill getting a raise, even though he hasn’t had a great season, might be the hold up on their end.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Chris Sale is owed $27.5M in 23 and 24, with a vesting option at $20M in 25 (see below for details). If they lose Xander next year, they might need a SS. DeJong is owed $9.166 in 2023, if they took DeJong, paid $8M of Sales contract in 23 and $17 in 24, could that be a decent contract swap? If the option vests, then it likely means he’s been good and healthy, so that’s two thumbs up.

Going into the playoffs without any sort of an ace has gotten me even more convinced that it’s the biggest need, by far, for 2023. Who knows how Sale turns out, but if healthy, I’ll take him in a game one over anyone on the Cards currently.

2025 36 Boston Red Sox *$20,000,000 $20M Vesting Option Vests if Sale finishes top-10 in 2024 Cy Young voting and does not finish year on IL. Value may increase based on GS and Cy Young finishes

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately Chris Sale is a walking injury. He has pitched a total of 48.1 innings in the last three years! He makes Matz look like a healthy specimen.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I agree, but somehow adding an ace and getting rid of PDJ are 1A and 1B in my offseason hopes.

I wonder if attempting to resign Q is contingent on Waino coming back? I would answer “highly likely” to that question.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d love to add an ace, and with some payroll wiggle room it would certainly be possible. Yet at the same time, there are already 5 starters and the Cards fairly easily won the Central this year and probably go unchallenged next year as well. So standing pat and adding a Cecil level reliever (a middle upper tier guy, putting aside his results with us he got one of the top 5-20 releiver deals that year) and some veteran position depth seems the likelier moves.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Matt Moore, Taylor Rogers, Matt Strahm, Brad Hand are all free agents and I could see the Cardinals having interest in any of them, option Romero to AAA with Naughton for LH depth. Obviously Hand isn’t what he used to be and health would be a concern. Moore is having a nice year in his first as a full time reliever. I’d hate to see them give another 3-4 year deal to a relief pitcher though. But if one of them could be had to pair with Thompson, making Thompson more of a multi inning guy possibly too, it could be a good pen regardless of the fact we’re all but certain going to see VerHagen in there.
    VerHagen, Thompson, Pallante, Stratton, Hicks, FA LH, Gallegos, Helsley
    Have Woodford, Naughton, Romero, Whitley, Walsh (health?), Pacheco for depth in AAA. Plus possibly Naile, Conner Thomas, Tommy Parsons determining the 40 man crunch and rule 5 draft and what all could happen there.

I don’t expect an “ace”. I expect Flaherty, Montgomery, Mikolas, Matz and the 5th to be Wainwright if he wants to return. If he doesn’t it could be a cheap option or swaping O’Neill for someone. Why I’ve mentioned Giolito. O’Neill struggled and didn’t stay healthy, but 2 years of control still. Giolito had a bad year after having a few good ones and is a free agent after 2023. Adding him wouldn’t break the bank and could probably add AJ Pollock too, to platoon in LF with a LH hitting LF, like Burleson.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Hudson? They’ve showed faith in him every step of the way.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Kinda forgot about him but it also wouldn’t surprise me to see him traded before arbitration numbers exchanged. They could move him and clear up a 40 man spot and get a minor leaguer or 2 to fill some holes or replace guys that could be traded in a bigger deal if they chose to make a move for a Murphy or who know who.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Please, MO. I’m beggin’ ya. If you have to sign a free agent pitcher, don’t make it a Mike Leake or a Brett Cecil or an over-the-hill Greg Holland type. If the urge is uncontrollable, just give yourself the afternoon off, and walk on down to the Broadway Oyster bar, and have several drinks. Even consider closing the place down. Then, nurse your hangover for a couple of days before you go back to the office.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Please, MO. I’m beggin’ ya. If you have to sign a free agent pitcher, don’t make it a Mike Leake or a Brett Cecil or an over-the-hill Greg Holland type.

Or Matz.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Time for me to dream for 2023…
    -Nootbaar, McGreevy, Hence for Sean Murphy
    -DeJong, O’Neill, Cabrera for Lucas Giolito and A.J. Pollock
    -Liberatore, Gorman, Herrera for Mike Trout
    -Hudson for a minor leaguer or 2
    -Sign Matt Moore or Matt Strahm

1. Donovan 2B (L)
    2. Trout CF (R)
    3. Goldschmidt 1B (R)
    4. Arenado 3B (R)
    5. Yepez DH (R)
    6. Murphy C (R)
    7. Carlson RF (S)
    8. Burleson/Pollock LF (L/R)
    9. Edman SS (S)

???- IF (Robertson?), ??? – Utility, Pollock/Burleson (R/L), Knizner (R)

Flaherty, Montgomery (L), Mikolas, Giolito, Matz (L)

Woodford, Pallante, Thompson (L), Stratton, Hicks, Moore/Strahm (L), Gallegos, Helsley

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That would definitely be swinging for the fences. My off-season would be:

Sign Willson Contreras as a free agent.
    Sign Joc Pedersen as a free agent.
    Trade O’Neill, Burleson, Graceffo, Woodford, and Cabrera for Shane Bieber.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards need an ace starter, but I’m not trading 5 for 1 for Bieber. Graceffo should not be traded. Graceffo might be ready by next midseason.

Viewing 25 posts - 1,176 through 1,200 (of 1,460 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years