Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2023

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 2,445 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

San Diego is going to want to dump Hosmer or Myers or both on Washington. They have tax issues and need to dump guys while adding Soto the next 2 plus seasons.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding the farm, 2.5 years of control is a big deal because that’s a long long time in prospect circles. 2.5 years ago, we didn’t have Jordan Walker, Masyn Winn, Gordon Graceffo, Michael McGreevy, Andre Pallante or Alec Burleson in our system…and that’s just from the current top 10. We had just traded for Liberatore before the cutoff. So, the system can be built again very quickly through drafting and trades.

Secondly, there’s no promise that any of the players traded become as good a hitter as Juan Soto. Soto’s career line is good for a 160 OPS+. That’s a little shy of Albert Pujols’ peak run, but Soto is young enough that his peak may not have occurred yet. Still, this is probably the best hitter in baseball not named Mike Trout and he’s in his youth with a ton of runway left.

I’m not saying you go totally nuts to acquire the guy, but he’s a generational hitter and if you threw him into a lineup with Goldy, Arenado and you get anything like 2021 O’Neill production in the second half, that lineup will score a ton of runs and be a threat in October. Will it bring a Series? You can’t say for sure, nor can you say that the guys traded won’t become All Stars or better. It’s not a guaranteed return. But Soto is special and worth considering apart from previous norms.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

667, so you are saying we could get Clevinger and Pomeranz by giving up DeJong, VerHagen, and Nootbaar?

Wow! I am honestly having a hard time believing that. If Mo could pull that off I would probably view him a lot differently.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Soto is a great player no doubt but he still can’t pitch.

Mikolas has been great with no run support.
    Waino has been above average.
    Hudson has been average, kind of feast or famine.
    Pallante has been heroic but I doubt he can sustain his success as a starter. His batting average against is .279, which is kind of scary. He probably will need to go back to the pen.
    Then you have Matz and Flaherty, who have both been useless this year. You can’t count on anything from them.

As for the bullpen we don’t have a Big Three, we have a Big One, which is Helsley.
    I still like Cabrera and think he will do a solid job, even though he has been a bit shaky lately.
    I have very little confidence in Gallegos in high leverage situations.
    Hicks and Packy are wild cards. They might help us a lot down the stretch but you never know.

The bottom line to me is that this pitching staff isn’t near good enough for us to be a world series contender, whether we get Soto or not. We need at least one starter and one reliver. I can’t imagine we would gut the system to get Soto and two pitchers at the deadline considering that Mo has done very little at the deadline in the last eight years. If I had to choose I would choose pitching all day long.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

667, so you are saying we could get Clevinger and Pomeranz by giving up DeJong, VerHagen, and Nootbaar?

VerHagen isn’t in the website. I estimated him as -4, and substituted him in the trade as WASH sending $4 to STL. When running it through the 3 team trade it won’t let me add all those players to WASH either. But I can get close and then just add Weathers on the end manually. And it came out STL gaining 0.2 value, WASH gaining 0.3 value, SD at -0.5 value. So it shows its about as even as can be.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Sorry had that backwards, so my manual adding of Weathers to SD was backwards, but could be made up in WASH covering some of Corbin’s 2024 salary. But it doesn’t change the Cardinals value other than they actually loose 0.2 in value because they actually are adding money this season, but cut money for for 2023.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I said it once and I will say it again……It’s going to an interesting ten days ahead of us. The reason for that is Soto and wondering where he ends up – if anywhere. My gut feeling is still in the Arch City.

Baseball resumes tomorrow so we shall get back to some normalcy now. I assume the reason Pugs has not posted is that he’s constantly got a phone in his ear, talking to Mo and Gertsch, making recommendations.

r/Esteemed Rat

KylMss
    Participant

Free

If the Nationals are wanting to unload Corbin with Soto, they better be prepared to accept way less in terms of prospects. That kind of deal would have to be similar to what the Dodgers sent to Boston for Betts and Price’s massive contract. The Red Sox acquired three players in that deal – Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs, and Connor Wong. That was one major league-ready outfielder and two decent prospects. Now, some adjustments would have to be factored in for age, since Soto is 23 and Betts was 29 at the time and about to hit free agency.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

I hate the idea of trading Carlson or Walker. No way I trade both.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Amen brother…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Winn and Burleson gets you in the territory of Lopez. That’s still a painful trade, and starting pitching rarely wins you anything in the playoffs anymore.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am really excited about our future. I’d like us to pass the Dodgers as the team to beat in the NL. To do this, we will have to get better pitching. I’m hoping we can find a trade that helps us on the pitching front without sacrificing our top prospects.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could get Pomeranz and Clevinger, or Snell and Pomeranz, they should not be too expensive prospect wise, with the Padres wanting salary room this year and next. Not sure Pomerania will be back this year, but he would a big bonus to our bullpen, if he does. I think I prefer Clevinger, although he could be a free agent next year.

Perhaps Woodford, Nootbaar, and Baker or Nunez might get it done.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Wouldn’t cost near that much. With the salary of Snell and pending FA and salary of Clevinger, especially if you’re taking on a remaining $5 and next years $10 of a unknown in Pomeranz.

And rather than Burleson and Winn for Lopez, I’d rather send O’Neill to CHWS for Giolito or Kopech. I don’t know that either one of those teams is sellers. I think MIA could sell expiring contracts, but with their staff I’d keep building around it, but understand their need to add some offense to a bottom third offense. And with CHWS only 3 games back I don’t know if they’d sell a SP or not, but they do have a need for corner OF.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Year 2021 Tyler O’Neill – .286/.352/.560/.012
    – 34 HR
    – 15 SB
    – 6.3 WAR
    – GG

Year 2021 Juan Soto – .313/.465/.534/.999
    – 29 HR
    – 9 SB
    – 7.1 WAR

Trade Tyler O’Neill???

667 – Are you thinking that we can trade O’Neill and play Burleson in LF?

Cards667
    Participant

Free

O’Neill minus 2021
    219 games, 586 AB, 136 H, 22 2B, 1 3B, 25 HR, 12 SB, 4 CS, 48 BB, 211 K, 6 HBP, 8 SF, .232/.293/.401
    *done quickly in my head so I apologize if they aren’t 100% correct, but I think they are.

2021 was an outlier in my opinion and I don’t think he’ll ever come close to it again, and he doesn’t seem to be able to stay on the field. I was all for selling in the off season when the value was really high on him. But yes, if I could get Giolito or Kopech for him I’d do it in a heartbeat and give Burleson a chance at LF. But if Bader isn’t expected back sooner rather than later it would be hard to make that move too.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

If we could get Giolito or Kopech for O’Neill, I would do it and not think twice. We can fill the production O’Neill has given us this year. We need good starting pitching

14NyquisT
    Participant

No way this team trades for Soto. Too big a salary and it would take too many prospects. Plus it puts Mozeliak’s neck at risk.

We need a starter badly right now. How about looking into that.

Wait we got Jacobson…. never mind.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

BTV has Giolito at 29.1, Kopech at 21.5, and O’Neill at 27.8

O’Neill, 27, $3.4 million, FA after 2024
    Giolito, 28, $7.45 million, FA after 2023
    Kopech, 26, arbitration after this year, FA after 2025

I don’t know that they’d move either or if they’d want O’Neill, but I’d sure wouldn’t mind seeing it.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Hayman is on MLB Network and keeps mentioning the Cardinals as suitors for Soto and the prospects the Cardinals have is what they are looking for. I really hope it’s all speculation and they aren’t serious about it.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

love thinking on Soto but…i was thinking one of two deals that feel more Moz like

not flashy but helps but costs a bit more
    Sean Murphy + Blackburn

or really less flashy(ie cheaper) (and Tucker isn’t hitting right now) but probably helps

Tucker + Pineda (Maybe add Fulmer)

This year is REALLY feeling a lot like when we went for it successfully offloading our top prospect Rasmus for a bunch of spare parts…but they were THE spare parts we needed Edwin Jackson, Corey Patterson, RZep, Dotel and cash

Now i don’t think we need to deal Walker for spare parts…nor will they…but this is an opportunistic moment and the Cards have some salary space and some well regarded prospects of all types from high ceiling to MLB ready or MLB playing now young players

A Soto plus Corbin type deal is fine with me to a point…

But i wonder if a smarter get like Blackburn and Murphy (adds offensive catcher help and future backup help…and very well starting pitching RIGHT NOW starter with control and is cheap who may long term be end up being a swing starter type)

Murphy and Blackburn probably require something that wouldnt be great to lose…but it probably won’t take the best ones…Murphy seems to have the highest value on the simulator site..but it seems a bit too high IMO…still i think there is somethign there to be had

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Trout and Ohtani were both mentioned as possibly available if LAA wanted to totally blown it up and try to rebuild. Trout has a huge contract and no trade clause, but his BTV value is about a 66 due to the age and contract. Do we have a Kent Bottenfield and Adam Kennedy to send them for him? I don’t see them trading either of them at all, but you never know what they might try after spending all this money and failing every year.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

SD was also mentioned as being very agressive in the Soto talks, but money is a problem. So make my before mentioned 4 team, 2 trades, happen and get some pitching.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish we would have signed Jon Gray instead of Matz. I believe Gray would have an even better record with our defense.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite all the hyperventilating by fans of every team, I still think there will be very few legitimate suitors for Soto, and the Cardinals are one of them. I also believe that MO will not wreck our entire farm system for a two-year rental of any player.

I think Patrick Corbin will be part of any trade. Does anybody know what’s wrong Patrick Corbin? He gives up a HR or two in every game. Are the Nats leaving him in the game too long? If the Nats would take Dejong, that would cover part of the money owed to Corbin.

I’m glad this is happening before the trade deadline instead of at the beginning of the offseason since that means we’ll have an answer in less than two weeks.

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 2,445 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.