Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 1,129 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is the last starter the cards brought in on a multi year deal that worked out well?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say that the last mid-season trade that worked out well was John Lackey.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The article I just read said that the Nationals will not be trading Juan Soto. I doubt that happens too simply because nobody would probably give them what they would want.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

The Lester and Happ additions saved the 2021 season. Granted, they were not perfect but ate up innings and gave them a chance to win most games. I was a little surprised Happ wasn’t resigned to be a 5th starter/swing man.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

He just announced his retirement today.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This year’s version of Lester/Happ/LeBlanc could be Dallas Keuchel. He has been DFA’d by the White Sox so he could eventually be had for the league minimum.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Since Mo severely screwed up (in my opinion) and didn’t get Manaea, what would it take at this point to get Montas from Oakland? 3.20 ERA, 7 QS’s already, 1.4 WAR, not a great record but that’s not his fault.

They obviously would want young cost controlled guys that are MLB ready. They would obviously ask for Gorman, Libby and Herrera, and they are are the “untouchables”.

Yepez and Noot wouldn’t likely be enough? But with Oneill, Carlson and Bader locked in when healthy, and the wonderful signing of Dickerson, they have enough outfield depth.

If they could have time to work out an extension before, Yepez, Noot, McGreevy, Rondon, Junior F? That wouldn’t be a bad haul for them, but all dependent on an extension before….(clears out the 40 man roster up a bit too)

Any thoughts? Or ideas on other starters that might be options, because the birds on the bat are going to need starters this year and 2023 especially.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If you Want tô be realistic no team is taking 4 40 man roster guys and giving up 1. That would make them clear 3 additional 40 man roster spots. Just tô acquire 3 players who are not that much better than the guys that would be removed. I dont think só.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

I’ll play along GS, this years version of Lester will be Bumgarner.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Rumor has it Oakland is wanting a lot for Montas and that’s why he wasn’t traded in the off season.
    2019- Current
    Montas: 70 GS, 400 2/3 ip, 3.46 ERA, 1.178 WHIP, 8.0 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 2.7 BB/9, 9.9 K/9
    Montas just turned 29 in March and is controlled through arbitration through 2023.

2019-2021
    Berrios: 76 GS, 455 1/3 ip, 3.66 ERA, 1.168 WHIP, 8.1 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 2.4 B/9, 9.2 K/9
    Berrios just turned 28 last week. And while the stats include the 12 starts he made in Toronto after the trade, when he was traded from Minnesota to Toronto he was 27 with 1.5 years of team control and has since gotten a 7 year $131 million extension.

Minnesota got Toronto’s #2 (SS/CF) and #4 (SP) prospects for Berrios. While Montas is 2 years older (at time of trade) he has very similar, if not better stats, having a good year, and with the same amount of team control.

I think Montas costs Nootbaar, McGreevy, and Gaceffo or Burleson, McGreevy/Graceffo, and a 3rd lower prospect to get a deal done and you have to figure any team in contention is going to be calling and Oakland may like another prospect more.
    I also don’t think the Cardinals make a move for a SP until they absolutely have to and could just be another Lester or Haap. They will continue to try to piece together the rotation waiting on Flaherty and Matz to get healthy and if they need to plug at the deadline they will look more along the lines Eovaldi, Kyle Gibson, Jordan Lyles or Mike Minor (if he gets healthy) and guys who are Free agents after the year that won’t cost them Burleson or Yepez or Graceffo, or other top names they don’t want to see go. I still say acquiring Eovaldi, or any SP, in a deal that includes DeJong, along like lines of Lackey for Craig and Kelly, might be a smart move. But we’ll see. Maybe they can work something including DeJong with Detroit for Andrew Chafin since Detroit has absolutely no production from their IF and STL could use a 2nd LHP since McFarland isn’t getting the job done. Which is also why I mentioned Minor, if healthy, because he’s had success as a reliever and if he plugs the rotation short term until others a healthy he could work as a 2nd LH reliever possibly. But health is a big “if” with him right now.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I don’t think there is anyway the Cardinals could trade both McGreevy and Graceffo, they just don’t have enough quality starting pitching in the minors to trade both. Could be wrong but that would be risky for a team that has lacked Starting pitching for a # of years. I could see one of the two going along with other prospects for a starter. I am not sure Montas is going to be the guy they get though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Take it or leave it offer for Montas:

Carlson and PDJ
    for
    Montas and Trevino

It’s 18mil for 18mil the first two seasons, then Oak gets the long term value of Carlson. Trevino is controlled through 24′, but could be non-tendered after 22′.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Not a chance I’d do that.
    The need for SP isn’t that desperate. If it gets closer to the deadline and the need for SP is there, then Kyle Gibson, Corey Knebel, Brad Hand should be available, Eovaldi and Strahm could be available determining how Boston plays the next 2 months, KC could blow things up and Staumont could possibly be had, and all at much less of a cost. I know the pen ranks well, but it’s carried by the back 3 heavy. Pallante has pitched well, but having him in a longer role could be better and upgrades could be made over VerHagen, Wittgren, McFarland, and the Whitley/Walsh/Fernandez, whoever else they’ve put in there and much to me much more needed than SP at this moment.
    To me O’Neill, Nootbaar, DeJong, Oviedo, Woodford, Fernandez all should or could go and Wittgren and McFarland need replaced, and the only reason I don’t include VerHagen is they gave him a 2 year deal and I don’t see them giving up yet. Giving something like:
    Vs RHP
    Edman SS
    Donovan LF
    Goldschmidt 1B
    Arenado 3B
    Gorman 2B
    Yepez DH
    Carlson RF
    Knizner C
    Bader CF
    Sosa, Pujols, Dickerson, Molina
    Vs LHP
    Edman 2B
    Bader CF
    Goldschmidt 1B
    Arenado 3B
    Pujols DH
    Yepez LF
    Carlson RF
    Knizner C
    Sosa SS
    Donovan, Gorman, Dickerson, Molina

Wainwright, Flaherty, Matz (Gibson if a trade is needed), Mikolas, Hudson

VerHagen, Pallante, Staumont, Hand, Knebel, Cabrera, Gallegos, Helsley

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, I would do that deal in a heartbeat. In fact it would be a steal for the Cardinals. We all know about DeJong’s struggles and Carlson could be another Piscotty. I am certain Oakland would not do that deal.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Mark Polishuk | Last updated 6/5/22

McKinney is only 27 years old, but has nine seasons in the minors on his resume, pitching in the Cardinals system from 2013-18 and then joining the Mariners in 2019 following a brief stint in independent ball. The southpaw didn’t reach the Triple-A level until 2021 but the results haven’t been good — McKinney has a 7.22 ERA, 15.86% strikeout rate, and 12.75% walk rate over 76 innings in Tacoma in 2021-22.

I was never thrilled about McKinney but the pitching staff is super thin and he would probably sign for a dozen of Dunkin’ donuts.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

GS, OAK likely gets better offers for Montas but it’s a take it or leave it offer. They could pass early on the offer, with the understanding to circle back to us later if they want/need to.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not giving up on Carlson…. in fact i might be more willing to deal ONeill than him

Montas seems the big fish… but maybe we could snag Paul Blackburn who is having a great year and may be suited to non starting role if ever need be

Might not be as flashy a name, but might come cheaper

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Me either Jager, Carlson has some good seasons ahead of him.

O’Neil has two seasons less club control than Dylan, it would be a lesser trade package.

OAK always wants to shed salary and my proposal is cost neutral through 2023. It would take Carlson over O’Neil, IMO.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to look into getting Josh Staumont. We could use another bullpen arm.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Selling low on either Carlson or O’Neill doesn’t make much sense to me. Montas is good, but I’m still questioning why we didn’t make a bid for Manaea last winter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not sure why Oakland would want DeJong. They already have an underperforming and overpaid SS in Elvis Andrus, who has a vesting option for 2023. The Cardinals would have to really sweeten the pot to get Montas. I could be wrong but I am just not sold on Carlson yet. He seems very average, kind of like Piscotty.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Carlson will be fine…maybe a touch better than Piscotty. Being a lefty helps. He doesn’t hit the ball hard, so he will be a little luck dependent.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Bullpen could be a bigger concern if Pallante stays in the rotation and then you have Flaherty and Matz coming back.

Outside of Helsley/Cabrera and Gallegos you don’t have a lot there

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is correct greyghost. Instead of focusing on the rotation we probably should be looking to bolster the bullpen at the deadline. That might be more in Mo’s wheelhouse since bullpen arms are usually easier to come by.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JJ, I agree that Bumgarner might get traded and he and Lester are/were both veteran lefties but there is a big difference in money owed. I am not sure the Cardinals would take on that contract.

Viewing 25 posts - 676 through 700 (of 1,129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years