Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 741 total)
  • Author
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I find it hard to believe Mo couldn’t have come up with a much better package quite easily.
    I find it hard to believe he wasn’t in their budget.
    I find it hard to believe Mo doesn’t desperately know they need a top starter.
    Does Beane hate Mo/Cards?
    With the farewell tour, they are going to make so much money I doubt Dewitt gives a crap.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

very upsetting they couldn’t offer something up

But I like Montas better… get it done Moz

This rotation is seriously a few minor injuries…i am talking back tweaks and fingernail problems from being so bad it wont matter if the bats are all working at the right time or not

bringing in a strong pitcher like Montas…that shores us up nicely

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Manaea pitching a no hitter through 7. 88 pitches.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Manaea – 7IP, 0 hits, 1BB and 7K’s…. But 43k at the park all weekend to see Pujols, Dewallet is full, so they don’t care

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If there is a silver lining, it’s that the Cards have quite a few similar type guys in the upper minors and MLB that could be trade bait if we need to upgrade at the deadline. Gorman, Edman, Sosa, Burleson, Nootbaar, Donovan, Nunez, Baker, Redmond could all have some varying degree of value depending on how things go for them this year. I would think a pair of those guys could fetch us a pretty good starter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our deadline pickup will be Reyes.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GS, I hold out hope that our W/L by the deadline will be significant, and the final hurrah’s for multiple players careers will convince ownership an impact deadline is warranted.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

jj, the key word there is hope. We hope for that each year but it doesn’t happen. The Cardinals either tinker at the deadline or stand pat. The veteran pitchers they got last were helpful but weren’t “go for it” type of trades.

When was the last time we made a significant mlb ready addition at the deadline? Maybe John Lackey in 2014?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably Lackey. The one that I remember best is the Rasmus trade.

The key here may be our W/L record the week before. Hovering around .500 doesn’t suggest “lets make an impact” at the deadline, once you consider what we had to give in players.

Not to take the apologist role here, but recently I have agreed with their deadline decisions. I’d guess mid-teens, say 15’ish was the last time I really wanted impact deals.

We’ve lost out swagger since Chris Carpenter retired. Flaherty gave us hope but it’s been hit and miss with him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Different teams have different approaches at the deadline. Aggressive teams make deals to jump start things but in recent years the Cardinals have been rather passive.

They seem to always have a reason. If we have a winning record we don’t need help. If we have a.500 record then we aren’t good enough to justify going for it.

Maybe this will be the year we zig when we usually zag. I will stay in I believe it when I see it mode.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

STL will remain a develop from within org and the major trade capital at the deadline is affordable prospects. That’s a direct conflict of interests.

We had the prospects to acquire Scherzer and Tea Turner at the last deadline, but ownership has moved on from the Jocketty game plan. We’re firmly in the Bill DeWitt game plan now.

So instead we face Scherzer and Turner and got eliminated. LA paid dearly to acquire those two, and maybe a prospect guru here will will give comparables from within our org, to show what that trade would have cost us.

For me, I don’t see ownership as willing to trade their valued prospects, which has resulted in no impact players acquired at the deadline. At best, an Austin Gomber will be dealt, but not one of the top 5 prospects.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nunez, Gorman, Baker and Walker are in the upper levels of the minors already and are playing positions that already have All Star/potential HOF players at their desired positions. Only Gorman has a really clear path to playing time. And if he’s a starter, then Edman, Sosa and Donovan become somewhat disposable as well. I agree with jj generally that they’ll prefer to develop from within, but I also see the talent potentially stacking up enough that they’ll either want to trade a couple or risk the fruit rotting on the vine without enough PT to go around. Certainly they see the starting pitching hole upcoming and will have to acquire someone at some point. They do more trades than FA acquisitions when they want to make a real splash. I could see it, is all I’m saying…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually the Cardinals aren’t always opposed to dealing prospects for proven talent. They just prefer to do it in the offseason (Goldy and Arenado). For whatever reason they will not do it at the deadline. Maybe they prefer to do it at their own pace instead of dealing with the pressure of a deadline.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Goldy offseason trade required TCN #3 Carson Kelly (2018), Luke Weaver TCN #2 (2017) and Andy Young TCN #45 (2018).

Arenado brought #9 Gomber (2017) with one season plus service time, Gil #22, Locey #19, Montero #7 and Sommers unranked I guess.

So yes GS, during the offseason STL has turned loose of a couple top 5’s.

It very well be an oversimplification, but the deadlines usually have motivated buyers. Offseason tends to be motivated sellers. That helps drive asking prices, imo. Could be ownership isn’t willing to pay deadline player costs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Don’t forget that they might also trade several established starters who are getting more expensive and approaching free agency and replace them with top prospects. It isn’t always necessarily the prospects who are traded.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It very well be an oversimplification, but the deadlines usually have motivated buyers. Offseason tends to be motivated sellers. That helps drive asking prices, imo. Could be ownership isn’t willing to pay deadline player costs.

Well that could be. I really don’t know. The asking price for Goldy was fairly high. The asking price for Arenado was ridiculously low. That was just a salary dump by the Rockies. The asking price for Ozuna (Alcantara, Gallen, Sierra, Castano) turned out to be fairly high. That was another offseason trade.

I think the Cardinals just try to wait and be opportunistic. That fits in with their steady as she goes approach. They rarely try to push the issue.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

If I am the Cardinals I’m inquiring about former Cardinal Zac Gallen, and possibly Melancin this weekend in this dbacks set.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what Gallen would cost? I assume 2 or 3 top prospects. If Flaherty comes back, and we add Gallen would increase or playoff and World Series chances. Gallen would be under control until 2026.

I was also looking at 2023 free agent starters, and unless there are opt outs involved, it looked like that crop is thin.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

C27, I thought about that too, but came to the conclusion there is no way they would give up what it would take.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but MadBum signed in AZ to be close to home or something? Or was that Grienke?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was MadBum. He is originally from North Carolina but I think his offseason home is now in Arizona.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Change of scenery trade. PDJ for Matt Barnes. Neither club to add salary. Both signed thru 2023 with option buyouts.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

JJ, that’s the kind of deal they should be looking for. With Devers, Bogaerts and Story, would he just be the backup?

A similar deal for a SP who could pitch a lot of innings (which I still think they are going to severely need) seems more likely.

Good find from a salary match btw.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not sure the Sox would do that deal. Barnes may be struggling a bit this year but he had 24 saves and was an all star last year. The Sox may not be ready to bail on him yet.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if we could deal with Arizona for Ahmed, he has his flaws but his a whiz in the field and has a bit of a bat from time to time.

Oviedo + Sosa + lottery ticket lower level kid?

They are having issues at catcher (as i think they see Varsho in CF) so i wonder even if Ali Sanchez could be useful to them, but they may be interested in an OFer too…so if they arent interested in Sosa maybe Capel?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ahmed makes quite a bit of money for a .200 hitter. Sounds similar to the SS we have.

Viewing 25 posts - 626 through 650 (of 741 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years