Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021-2022

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Flaherty has much trade value. He’s injured again, and he hasn’t contributed much since after the All Star Break in the 2019 season. Hopefully, he has a great year in 2022 and shows that the hype around him is justified. Then, maybe take another look at his trade value.

KylMss
    Participant

Free

Diamondbacks just designated Josh VanMeter for assignment. Looking at the Cardinals potential bench, he might be a good player to target. Guy can play all over the field, swings left-handed and has a little power. Not an ever day player, but definitely a guy that can have some value adding flexibility to the bench.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

With Albert, Dickerson, Noot, Knizner, Sosa on board, and with Gorman, Donovan, Burleson, etc waiting in the wings, and the BP additions, Yepez is definitely expendable now.

A’s get Yepez, Zach Thompson, Junior Fernandez, Angel Rondon and Jake Woodford (new 1B that they need, 2 MLB ready starters, and a BP guy with big potential for $700k each)

Cards get Manaea and Lou Trevino ($12.75 total in 2022) Then sign Manaea for 5/95 with two options at 22.5 or 5M buyout.

Who says no?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like that deal…which probably means it i favoring the Cards too much…

Probably shrink it down for just Manaea

Thompson/Junior, Yepez/Donovan/Burleson, Woodford/Rondon

But hey, I am up for whatever

After Albert signed it does make me feel like there may be other deals in the works to clear space and perhaps help our rotation

Waino, Hud, Mik, Matz, Woodford is pretty underwhelming and every one of them have huge question marks heading into the year

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Manaea only has one year of control so you would have to feel very confident you could lock him up before he hit FA, otherwise it would be a bad trade for the Cardinals.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Agree to an extent Gscott, I’m all in favor of them locking him up and wouldn’t give that up without it, hopefully that’s getting worked out as I write this, but the rotation needs 2 guys if they want to be serious contenders against the Dodgers, Mets, Padres, Phillies, etc.

JF might come back and be the late 2019 JF, but on this farewell tour, and money to spend, and “10s of thousands of tickets sold this morning” (Jimmy Edmonds words, not mine). They need Manaea and another top starter, the lineup is fine as long as TON doesn’t regress.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Am I the only one who thinks their SP’s aren’t good enough for them to win a playoff series?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Am I the only one who thinks their SP’s aren’t good enough for them to win a playoff series?

While anything is theoretically possible, I’d definitely say that it’s tough to imagine having a strong enough group to be threatening in a playoff series. Flaherty’s injury status, Waino’s age, Matz’s propensity for the big inning, Mikolas’ inability to stay healthy, etc give me lots of uncertainty there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you told me all of the starters were going to be injury free and give us between 150-200 innings then I would say we were in good shape but we all know that won’t happen. The good news is that Mo has brought in a bunch of veteran lottery picks now instead of waiting until July like he did last year. Even if only one or two of the lottery picks like VerHagen, Wittgren, Brooks, Parker, etc.. work out that will help out a lot.

It would also be nice to get a boost from one of the youngsters like Woodford, Liberatore, Oviedo, Rondon, Thompson, Thomas, etc…. We actually have some depth. The question is do we have quality depth?

Of course winning a playoff series is a little different than getting through 162 games. As stl25 mentioned we really don’t have those 2 or 3 elite starters it takes to lock down a series. The Mets have DeGrom and Scherzer. The Dodgers have Buehler and Urias. The Brewers have Woodruff and Burnes. We really don’t have that unless you are counting on Waino and Flaherty.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

gscottar, I love Waino as much as anyone, in fact I just bought a couple of his rookie cards in the last 10 minutes…. (I’m making a little display with Pujols, Yadi and Waino rookie cards) however, the guys you just mentioned are all better than any guys the Cards currently have, and 2023 and 2024 won’t be any better.

They have to add two top tier guys if they want to have a shot to actually win, Chris Carpenter retired years ago, and as much as I love Wainwright, he’s not young anymore…. Flaherty is definitely not a guarantee, if he was, we’d only need one.

They might make the playoffs in 2022, but 2023 will be a big realization that they need to spend for pitching at some point. That’s why I’m so big on them trading for Manaea and locking him up, at least then they would have a solid #2/3 for the next few years.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

will be lucky if they add 1 starter, I assume they are going to wait around till the trade deadline to make a move. They definitely need someone, if nothing else to limit the innings of Wainwright/Hudson/Flaherty and Mikolas.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

will be lucky if they add 1 starter, I assume they are going to wait around till the trade deadline to make a move.

When is the last time Mo made a significant move at the deadline? He brought in Lester and Happ last year and they helped but I wouldn’t call them blockbuster moves. The Cardinals are usually very passive at the deadline.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo is just setting us all up for when he uses the savings from Yadi, Waino and Albert to sign Jacob DeGrom after this year. #200Morbust2023

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They really need a starter…I don’t see anything in Van Der Hagen that is worth trusting… Woodford is the bets option we have and he is spot starter at best IMO… Reyes is months away at best…Libertore isn’t ready.. Oviedo needs to be in the pen…Rondon obviously isnt getting a shot any time soon

Our 40man is bloated…we need to trade from it and get Manaea or Montas…it may feel knee-jerk MO, but it needs to be done…otherwise you are wasting the last year of the 3 HOFers…

not to mention MO… you REALLY need this season to go well for Marmol otherwise you will be destroyed in the press and questioned about it at every bad series or managing mistake Marmol makes

Manaea is in his last year…you will overpay a little for him, but the A’s can’t ask the world either…trust that you can extend him during the season or in the exclusive window…you will have the money next offseason..and if you can’t re-sign him well..you lose a bit of talent but clear room and clear money to find a better solution

There is a lot on the line for Mo this year with how the Shildt stuff went down…it is in HIS best interest to get a good team out there

Manaea
    for
    Oviedo/Rondon + Burleson/Yepez + ZThompson/Pallante

add a little more if needed

Get it done

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo is just setting us all up for when he uses the savings from Yadi, Waino and Albert to sign Jacob DeGrom after this year. #200Morbust2023

That would be great except DeGrom seems to be constantly hurt and is still under contract next year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That would be great except DeGrom seems to be constantly hurt and is still under contract next year.

I agree. His injury this time sounds like Wacha’s from 2014. Which is scary. It should be notes that he has a player option after this year so he could be a FA.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

deGrom already said he planned to opt out after this year. If his long term health is compromised, he just may change his mind…

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point BW

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is true. I now remember him saying a couple of weeks ago that he planned to opt out, which is strange to announce it in advance. Obviously if he misses half the season or more with injury it wouldn’t seem to make sense to opt out.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Much like other recent seasons Mo already hás his deadline pickups in Reyes and Flaherty

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Manaea goes to the Padres for two prospects not even in the top 10 of their system.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Manaea was a guy I felt just made too much sense for St Louis. But the Cards had some success with the quantity over quality bet last year and there’s one thing we know about Mo is that he’ll keep going back to the same well until it no longer produces. Hopefully it’ll work out this year again.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baez and Rondon don’t make the SDP top 10 either.You give them for Manaea and Holiday?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Manea went cheap!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baez and Rondon don’t make the SDP top 10 either.You give them for Manaea and Holiday?

I’d probably do it.

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 747 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.