Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been thinking about this lately myself. Despite his low average and OBP DeJong does still have some value due to his power and defense and team friendly contract. Although I guess it gets less team friendly the longer we go. I don’t think Miami would be the team to go after him since they are probably sellers but someone out there might be interested. I think Mo at least should consider it.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

He’s what you want in a bench bat. Decent defense, a power threat. And his contract as a bench bat this year and next is fine. It’s that final year that is the kicker.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep I agree with that. As was pointed out earlier Mo could potentially target one of the big SS free agents in the winter (Story, Seager, Correra, Baez) or spend the money elsewhere and see if we could get by with Sosa, Robertson, or Perez.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ESPN Trade Deadline Recommendations

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31679937/one-player-all-30-mlb-teams-trade-away-deadline

St. Louis Cardinals: Acquire Joey Gallo
    I can’t remember the last time the Cardinals traded away veterans, and it’s unlikely they will collapse to make that the case in 2021 — but an honest assessment suggests this is a mediocre team, despite the better-than-expected results from Tyler O’Neill, Dylan Carlson, Yadier Molina, and the back of the bullpen. They need more offense, or really, need Paul Goldschmidt and Paul DeJong to hit better, and the rotation depth is a concern with Jack Flaherty out.

Still, anything can happen in the NL Central. While Scherzer-to-St. Louis rumors are hotter than the turf at the old Busch Stadium, the Cardinals may not want to trade some of their top prospects for a longshot World Series chase. Gallo would fix the hole in right field, where St. Louis has the second-lowest OPS in the majors, and provide a lefty bat in the middle of a lineup that is right-handed with Goldschmidt, Nolan Arenado, Molina and O’Neill — plus he would be under control for 2022.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t want Gallo, but if they’d take Bader for him straight up or Bader and an flier prospect, I’d consider it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well maybe Nootbaar will make it a moot point.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Looking at sellers as of today…

Orioles
    Cedric Mullins – L/L – Undoubtedly in future plans. Would cost a lot.
    Trey Mancini – R/R – Wish he hit lefty.
    Josh Means – Lefty – Cost prohibitive prospect-wise?

Twins
    Max Kepler – L/L – $15 mil over next 2 years, 10 mil or 1 buyout in 24.
    Jose Berrios – Name keeps popping up on MLB Trade Rumors, though I can’t figure why.

Tigers
    Robbie Glassman – S/L – Decent hitter, bad fielder.

Rangers
    Joey Gallo – L/R
    Adolis Garcia – R/R – Oh, wait…..
    Kyle Gibson – Innings eater his entire career.

Marlins
    Starling Marte – R/R – A rental, but still a very good hitter & fielder.
    Adam Duval – R/R – Doesn’t move the needle for me.

Pirates
    Adam Frazier – L/R – In division, lots of teams asking. But man….

Rockies
    German Marquez (I can dream)
    Charlie Blackmon – L/L – Expensive – RBI’s still very good

Diamondbacks

David Peralta – L/L – Nice fit, 7.5 mill next year

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a bad list, though i’d add a few names

Boyd
    Haniger
    Pineda
    TRogers (MIN) (not sure why he might be available but quality)
    Colome
    IKennedy
    Soler
    Merrifield
    Duffy
    BKeller
    MKelly

and i really want to add a lot of Bucs and Reds, but no one will even consider talking about it because it is intradivision…but…
    Gray, Castillo, SHOward, RRodriguez, BReynolds, AFrazier

I think we need a minimum of 1 OF bat (Lefty or good against righties and lefties), 2 SPs, 1 RP (preferably Lefty)

I like Nootbar and all, but i am not hitching the season on his breakout and Bader’s return being enough for the offense

David Peralta seems best fit…i don’t especially like Merrill Kelly, but a combo deal of him and Peralta wouldnt be the worst way to get two parts with one deal

Easiest next answer would Berrios and Rogers… but i doubt it can happen…one could argue for Gibson and Kennedy duo deal too

Berrios alone would be worth it with his extra year of control

then look to Kennedy from TEX or hope that with Kelly and Berrios in the rotation Gant and CMart would shore up the pen,

move OViedo to AAA stretch out LeBlanc and Woodford and Rondon and try them out for a while and hope Mikolas or Jack can return for a final push

Waino, Berrios, Kelly, Kim, Leblanc/Woodford/Rondon
    I think that works

Reyes, Gallegos, Cabrera, Helsley, Miller, CMart, Gant, Junior, 1 of whomever doesnt make rotation…and potentially Hicks’ return and addition to pen of other starters when Mik and/or Jack return make that as deep as you could want

lineup wise, PEralta is steady if unspectacular, but i think his extra bit of contact is probably enough to spur the offense to life a bit, especially with Nootbar showing life and Bader returning (and he was hitting well before he went down)

Edman plays 2b with Peralta, and that even allows him to play SS and Sosa to get more ABs if DeJong continues to struggle

Carlson, Peralta, Goldy, ARenado, Oneill, Yadi, DeJong, Edman
    Bader, Knizner, Carp, Sosa/Rondon, Nootbar
    (rotate Bader in a lot)

Carp is close to being DFA’d i would have to think, he has shown ZERO improvement…at this point i’d be more worried about losing Rondon or Sosa’s production just to keep him around

—-

Does the FO have it in them to make some additions?

As i have said a lot, I am fine with losing decent prospects for additions that are not 1/2 yr rentals, it gives us drafts to restock…as long as the quality coming back is enough…Berrios (Rogers)…also as they are more than rentals they also serve as offseason moves that you don’t have to make letting you focus on less things…maybe looking for a bigger deal or really focusing on contracts etc.

If you go for true rentals, you gotta aim low on the quality or forget about age restrictions…look at who is hot and use them for their good year or end of the contract…Peralta

Personally I’d like a Berrios and Rogers deal, a Gibson deal, along with a Bucs deal…Reynolds, Frazier

shift Edman to SS, Frazier to 2b, Reynolds in CF, Rogers fixes the back end and replaces Miller spot next year shores up left side of pen, Berrios gives us a higher end starter #2 type and #1 type until JAck is back and fills a hole in the rotation next year that Kim/CMARt/Waino will make, and Gibson is having a good year and will eat innings

I don’t know if we could do those deals without losing one of Herrera, Gorman, Libertore, Walker, Winn…but i’d try

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it is time to put the buying ideas on ice. This team isn’t going anywhere this year. I would be looking to sell although I know the Cardinals are too afraid to do that. We will probably just stand pat like we have done the last five trade deadlines in a row.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

This team needs a shortstop that can hit over .200…, hopefully they are targeting one of the 2022 free agents with the Carpenter/fouler money coming off the books

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

It seems to me you were able to make a trade for a player with the option of talking to the player on contract issues before making a trade. Is this still possible. Just think of Story from Colorado. DeJong, Oveido & a couple lottery ticket types, if you can sign him.

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Buy or sell?

As selling almost always mean vets, honestly, not really much to sell. Martinez or DeJong, not worth much, short of throwing in cash. Waino or Yadi? Fan revolt, unless they publically ask for a chance to win, (Padres?). Goldy, no way to move his contract. Arenado, not unless they know or thing he will opt out, and can you move that contract?

Buy? Don’t really see that either. Short of something crazy, who would you give up? Not Gorman, Liberatore, Herrera, Wynn or Walker. Thompson, Oviedo or Rondon maybe?

Mo has worked himself into a box that I am not sure he can get out of. Short of being within 4-5 games at the trading deadline, what is the point of giving up anyone for a Scherzer, etc?

Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

Also, I think the we aren’t really concerned about this year stuff should have gotten him called on the carpet.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your buy-sell analysis is very accurate. We are in the proverbial box and are stuck with what we have.

I do think, however, that the Cardinals tried to build in a winner this year, at least in their mind. They wouldn’t have added Arenado otherwise. They probably didn’t foresee the plethora of injuries we would have to deal with or just thought we had the depth the cover it. The problem is we don’t and not even close. Our lack of depth has exposed many weaknesses. It may take awhile to properly build it back up.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gallegos might be our best trade chip. Sure, he’s pre arb and a valuable part of this team, but he’s also 29 years old and would likely fetch a pretty good prospect or two back.

Dejong does have some value too, even if his bat hasn’t been good. Someone would take a chance on a guy who’s been an ~3 win SS in his career. It would be selling low, but his value could crater further if he keeps getting worse.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

The question on Buy and Sell is how far are they off for next year (can’t see them making any run this year). While they may look past it this year, the same case could have been made the last 2 years for the Giants and now they are the best team record wise in the league.

They definitely need a shortstop in free agency, they need a starter in free agency, they need another Outfielder who can hit consistently. I would also think they need another relief pitcher or 2 but there track record for free agent relievers is abysmal so I’d rather just go with a younger player(s) their.

They have some $85 million coming off the books, but they will have to pay Arenado next year so they should have some money. I can’t see many people showing up to watch this if they don’t invest in better players.

I really think Cardinals would be better served with a new GM/major league talent evaluator type. The Offense has been bad for the last 4 or 5 years and this taxes the bullpen b/c they are mainly in close games, and they have just wasted money on some terrible relief pitchers who either can’t pitch or are always hurt

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How about getting Danny Duffy? He is having a good year. If the price wasn’t too high. I know we’d all like Kyle Gibson, but that price would be high.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Considering that we are 8 games out of first place I would not pursue any rentals, which would rule out Duffy. While not impossible, the chances of us catching the Brewers aren’t very good. If we were to make any additions I would only go after players who are also under control for next year.

If we are still 5-10 games out by the last week of the month I would be looking to sell. As stl25 mentioned Gallegos would probably have quite a bit of value. DeJong might have a little value but not much. Miller could probably be moved. Maybe Kim.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/cardinals-sign-t-j-mcfarland.html

Cards sign Mcfarlnd to minor/possible major league contract. Again this doesn’t move the needle.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Greg Amsinger on MLB says Joey Gallo is the Cardinals #1 trade prospect.

Thoughts?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Gallo but we don’t need to be buying anyone. I agree with the comparison that he is basically a LH version of O’Neill but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. You are going to get low average, high strikeouts, but also high OBP, a lot of power, and gold glove defense.

But we need to be selling and making plans for 2022 and beyond. We are 9 games out and could be further than that by the end of the weekend considering the Brewers are playing the Pirates. This is not the time to gut the farm system even further although at least he wouldn’t be a rental.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We will wish for Gallo and likely get Gamel.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or Capel….lol

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson / Bader / O’Neill have started 66% of the OF starts combined. Our 4th OF’r has been a regular.

That’s great for Williams, Thomas, Nootbaar, Rondon, Dean, etc., but since none really stepped forward, Edman fills the void.

So what’s the game plan the second half?

It’s not like we’re still playing the auditions, only Rondon is currently up. Reality is Edman is the 4th OF’r. Are the outfield auditions over?

A OF acquisition seems necessary.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

A OF acquisition seems necessary.

If we weren’t 7.5 games back…

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years