Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2021

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 479 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Problem is, they will want a fortune for him on name recognition alone.

I will take any upgrade to the outfield at this point, but i think the guys we will be looking at are

Peralta, Haniger…maybe Marte

Really… Peralta seems the one to target…still under the radar, and with Haniger being on such a tear right now i think his value might be inflated a bit…

Peralta is a rental and FA in the offseason…and we have done deals with ARZ (and they have Gallen via MIA via us)… so i think they know what they like in the Cards system

And with the history of trades for players we then convince to re-sign early or we take advantage of the pre free agency time, Peralta seems to fit those type of plans

Even if Bader comes back and hits ok, i don’t think anyone thinks he has “figured it out” and will all of a sudden be an impact hitter (let alone hit lefthanded or for much power)

Peralta is a lefty, good contact, solid to good defense and big arm, runs ok…i think we could re-sign him to a fair and shorter contract as his age is a bit old…

To me Peralta checks all the boxes of a player we need, at a position we have uncertainty for the future as it comes to offensive production (and that we don’t have any kids coming any time close so re-signing him makes sense)

He will cost a bit to do in-season especially if early…BUT the value lost in prospects can be mitigated if we re-sign him which is typical Moz behavior and justification

What will he cost? More if it happens early…but it probably won’t, but he is solid bat that any team could justify trading for so it won’t be cheap and will probably hurt a bit more than we like…

I’d see if we could create a deal around Rondon (pitcher) and maybe one of the young OFers like Capel, and maybe another lower level pitcher

Or maybe we could try to see their interest in DPerez…maybe see how much they value Whitley?

Rondon + Perez?
    Rondon + Capel?
    Whitley + Capel?

Could ARZ see Thomas’ value as so low that they could take advantage?

I just know i don’t want to consider OViedo, Hererra, Thompson, Gorman, Libertore….probably not Wynn or Walker either

Peralta isn’t Goldy so the level of Weaver, Kelly, Young isn’t needed…and that was also for a full season before FA for Goldy…and we still had to pay for Goldy…

I feel like one good-high level young player ready to go and a lesser prospect…or 2 pretty good prospects, and a flier thrown in

As much as i’d like Haniger, Gallo, or even Judge…i don’t feel Moz has the stomach to deal any top prospects right now, at least not for a rental hitter like Peralta

Now…i DO think he might part with a bigger guy (and he’d have to) for Scherzer though…value in-season and the extra benefit to negotiate an extension without others interfering…yeah that has a lot of value to Moz i think…especially if he has determined that the Cards will target Max in the offseason (which they should)

Peralta + Scherzer in season…makes this team contender…and both could be re-signed behind the scenes without the public and rumors flying around getting in the way…both are vets have connection to the system or StL…and woudl fill gaps in the staff and outfield to allow for younger players to develop

get it done Moz….Girsch too i guess

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like a batter who hits righties hard, too. That said, there’s no doubt that Judge is a better hitter against all batters than someone like Joey Gallo, and he’s up there with Conforto even against righties.

Career Against RHP:

Judge .933 OPS
    Conforto .882 OPS
    Gallo .820 OPS

Career Against LHP:

Judge .971 OPS
    Gallo .823 OPS
    Conforto .716 OPS

I agree that Judge has good numbers on the field but they don’t do much good when he is on the IL, which is where he tends to be.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I will take any upgrade to the outfield at this point, but i think the guys we will be looking at are

Peralta, Haniger…maybe Marte

Those would be good choices but I think our top two pursuits will be Peralta and Gallo because they are LH.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Mo trades for and extends Peralta, he should be fired. Peralta is the definition of an average LFer, and with a noodle bat to boot. It’s questionable whether he would be an upgrade at all out there. Remember, he’s at the normal dropoff age already. I’m still very meh on Gallo…he’s leading the league in Ks (and also in walks, to be fair), hasn’t shown much power this year, and his average is now falling off to its usual low level. I’d rather wait and spend money on a real upgrade or spend a similar prospect value on Judge, who provides true pop to the lineup.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I consider Edman a fine outfielder, so I think an “upgrade” target before the deadline should also include SS and 2B.

I’d slide DeJong to 2B in a heartbeat for an elite SS who can hit, or Edman to RF for a 2B acquisition. If Edman to RF benches Bader, so be it. It takes at least 4 outfielders anyway.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s too bad that the Cards couldn’t have found a way to deal with Bridich again before he was canned. Story would look nice in Cardinal red (although Seager is the guy I’d rather have overall).

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of those two, Story as a deadline target and Seager as an offseason target. Story is who I was thinking of.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No idea what DeJongs standing is with the top brass, but one scenario could be DeJong for Story straight up. Then either bring story back or sign a different FA shortstop over the winter after moving DeJongs contract.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you don’t get that SS signed, Edman to SS, which opens 2B to our prospects. Or sign a bridge FA 2Bman to get to Gor…, to give or prospects another season to develop.

I don’t view DeJong as locked in, especially with the FA SS class coming up. But the deadline is a ways down the road. Hopefully the players will answer questions like “Can the Cards continue to play both Carpenter and Carlson”. Sometimes the answers become crystal clear over time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seager is a great player when on the field, but like Judge, has an extensive history on the IL. I am leery about giving money to guys who are hurt a lot.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

noodle bat? average OF? he fields pretty great, has a GG and SS award in his pocket already
    .275+ AVG, 15ish HRs, already earned .4 WAR on the year, looks to be about worth 1.5-2

he is 33, a 2 yr extension to fill the gap and provide depth until better solutions come around would not be a bad move at all. Especially given it will be for less than he is getting now i have to imagine

everyone complains about age, but there are guys that play fine at that age

Whit Merrifield TOO old right? every year people say it and he keeps performing, Yadi is done? yeah no… Waino is done…yeah no..

Peralta is NOT a perfect solution long term…but that does not make him what the team needs right now…a dependable hitter with experience and a track record of success, he won’t hurt you in the OF and even if he was re-signed for a couple year at worst he’d be a veteran backup, and with the DH coming in he might fit right in to an OF/DH mix.

The best hitters we have are guys that are older…who’d a thunk? Experience matters and produces solid results. Goldy, Yadi, Arenado…all over 30…Edman and Carlson are great guys to grow up for us…but that doesn’t mean we don’t need vets who we dont have to “hope” figure it out. Yes, Carp seems done and is older…BUT he has also looked poor and gotten worse every year for the last 3 yrs…despite his contract being given to him…Moz just couldn’;t take off his Ruby colored HR glasses to look beyond his brief but prolific outbursts each year that hid his decline

Would i prefer a higher value longer term slam dunk solution…yeah…but it is not happening, not with Moz… a Larry Walker, Berkman, Beltran like signing/trade is a hallmark of some of the most successful teams we have had…

Peralta might not cost much in trade value, and less in re-signing….and we could throw that money at Scherzer… gives ONeill, Bader, and any other young OFer a chance to break in per their ability NOT our hopes and prayers…or worse out of necessity

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

noodle bat? average OF? he fields pretty great, has a GG and SS award in his pocket already
    .275+ AVG, 15ish HRs, already earned .4 WAR on the year, looks to be about worth 1.5-2

1.5-2 wins is the definition of average. 15 HRs a year in Arizona (he has less than 100 in his 8 year career) translates to less than 10 in St Louis. Goldy lost 70 pts of SLG coming from Arizona to St Louis, so if Peralta does that he ends up as a Dexter Fowler type, at best. So…a noodle bat, yes.

Again, I would rather go for a true upgrade. O’Neill and Bader will likely both outproduce Peralta and will cost a lot less. Go for a big time bat or just sit pat, IMO.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems so far that three of the biggest needs for the Cards are another frontline starter, a solid LH bullpen piece, and a LH power bat. It just so happens that the Washington Nationals have three players on expiring contracts who fit those descriptions.

Max Scherzer
    Brad Hand
    Kyle Schwarber

The Nats are currently in last place and if that continues they might be tempted to sell. The Cards usually don’t go after rentals but I have to think they might kick the tires on players like this since their asking price should be depressed since they are upcoming free agents.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This guy lists the Cards as one of five teams that should be in on Gallo, which I agree with. What I don’t agree with is his statement that our current starting RF is Justin Williams. Uh, not for several weeks. Keep up dude.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m a big no on Gallo and Schwarber. If we had a DH, sure. I’d rather acwuire a bat this off-season.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we did acquire a front line SP, what would you think of moving KK into the “solid LH bullpen piece”?
    Miller and Webb are at the bottom of my list.

We’d probably use a 4man rotation in the postseason and Flaherty, acquisition, Wainwright, Mikolas and CMart could all be candidates. If Gant, CMart and KK joined the pen……
    Of course Mikolas would need to be effective enough to garner one of the 4man rotation spots.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

I can’t see them adding 3 players, I would think Kim would go to the bullpen if they add a Starter. I would also put Polanco from the Pirates on the OF watch list

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kim to the bullpen is always an option but he didn’t seem to do well with that last year although that was very brief.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the idea of KK in the pen makes a lot of sense when CMart is back, i think he did well with it last year. And the fact that he could come in as a long man option as well as lefty relief (which seems to be how we are using Webb) makes sense to me…and might make Webb be better as he would be forced to do less

Miller seems at best to be coin flip, and maybe a DFA if he doesn’t show well in his rehab in the minors.

Jack, Waino, CMart, Mikolas, Gant

I know Gant has had a lot of experience and success in the pen, as has CMart…for me it just comes down to we really only have Genesis right now from the left side. KK could help that

Ponce and KK in the pen could really help too for having pseudo piggy backs for starters like Gant and CMart or whomever if they come unraveled…Ponce and KK both easily stretched out to do 3 innings if need be

Gant isn’t my favorite starter, but he has a really good mentality and focus and determination to win…despite his walks he has kept his ERA down…to me that shows he is a guy who can deal with adversity well…

KK the other day when his pitches werent right seemed to cave and give in…Gant however kept walking folks and found a way…same goes for CMart when he goes bad sometimes..

It’s anecdotal but that’s the way i see it

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Polanco is an intriguing option…but his arm seems pretty shot…

and he only last night got his first hit off a lefty after 20 shots (including 10 Ks)

Im not sure i want to invest in him the level of value that would stay in the division it would take

now Bryan Reynolds? I like the way he plays…solid everywhere, not spectacular but stable and solid… lots of doubles… all in a package that can play all 3 OF spots well …love that…might be worth watching prospects play for the Pirates to get him

Haniger is becoming more and more unattainable with his hot start…

Peralta is still hitting well too…

MArte has been hurt so he’s a tough call..

Gallo has not really been his crazy power version of himself…

Peralta still seems like the best fit…. LH…enough power and speed and AVG..good OFer

Max + Peralta…

maybe Matt Boyd if we can’t get Max…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Say no to Gallo and Schwarber. Marts and Peralta are possible. Perhaps due to injury Marte might be had at a cheap price.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the idea of KK in the pen makes a lot of sense when CMart is back, i think he did well with it last year.

He has only appeared in relief for the Cardinals once, which was his first appearance last year. He went one inning, allowed two runs (one earned) and two hits. They then put him in the rotation and he has been there ever since.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We acquired Goldy and Arenado, then brought back Yadi and Adam. The FO also held back the payroll and now has full capacity on the horizon. If we keep playing good ball, I expect the FO to spend at the deadline, substantially. It just feels like it’s lining up well to make a hard push down the stretch.

The best SP they can acquire is my wish list.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree JJ. Max Scherzer should be at the top of the list for sure with bullpen help a close second. I would explore getting Scherzer and Hand if I were the Cards, assuming the Nats continue to struggle and decide to sell.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other SP’s on expected non-contenders:
    DET – Matthew Boyd
    PIT – Tyler Anderson
    MIN – Michael Pineda
    TEX – Kyle Gibson
    COL – Jon Gray
    None above have Scherzers resume’ but other clubs like ATL will be looking for SP’rs too.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 479 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years