TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He looked different at spring training this past spring. He looked more muscular, like he had almost matured physically. I remember looking out onto the field and thinking ‘Who is that guy?’ He had a base hit on a hard hit ball and he beat out a grounder to first, as I remember. I was there the last weekend before everything got shut down, March 3-5, I believe. Adding to that, I read a comment somewhere (I think it was on the STL Cardinals website.) that said his coaches were impressed by the progress Sosa made during the previous offseason. So there’s still hope for Sosa, although I would also say that he’s at the end of the line with St. Louis if things don’t go well for him next spring. Sure wish this organization would find more middle infielders.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

My wife and I were at the last Spring Training game on March 12th, a 3-0 win for the Redbirds.
    Sosa played both SS and 2B. In an earlier game, he was at 3B. He’s the consummate versatile reserve infielder. Would be very surprised if he doesn’t make the team in 2020 now that Edman will be a starter.

Participant

Roberts was a relief pitcher his freshman and sophomore seasons at Wake. Opened some eyes that sophomore season, striking out 80 in 53.1 innings. His junior year, as a starter, he struck out 130 in 96.2 innings. If he doesn’t make it as a starter, he could be a valuable late inning bull pen piece.

Participant

A bit surprised that Roberts shows up here. Neither Brian nor Matt (“If he wasn’t a top pick with some dollars invested in him he might not be in the organization with how poorly it’s gone to this point) had great things to say. This has me wondering.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would strongly disagree with Roberts being ranked this high. Like NyQuisT, I think both Matt and Brian probably disagree with their own rankings, based on their comments. Seems like maybe they made their lists first and then filled in the comments.

The Cards didn’t draft many pitchers in that 2018 draft class, and it’s turned out disastrously. Roberts is a bust and Gingery has pitched, what, one inning? The late picks Coward and Della Valle might be the best pitchers from that class and they may have a 10% shot to make it to the Show. Hence why the team was eager to trade for Liberatore.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Roberts has done nothing to merit this ranking

Participant

Gingery, the former Big XII pitcher of the year and All American had Tommy John. I sure wouldn’t write him off yet.
    His one inning is fully explainable.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gingery had multiple TJ surgeries quickly. At this point, he’s a complete unknown, at best. The deck is stacked against him since he has barely pitched since 2017. Hopefully he can get going next year and have a great comeback story. Still, that draft class of pitchers is not looking like it will produce an MLB pitcher, more than likely.

Participant

I wouldn’t count either Roberts or Gingery out. Ever optimistic with some prospects. These are two. They have too good of a pedigree to write them off IMHO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At this stage of his career, had Luke Gregerson been ranked no. 25 (which is where I put Roberts on my list), it would not have seemed out of place. It was Matt who admitted he would have placed Roberts differently (than no. 16). I am fine with where I put him – after Elledge, Locey and Bedell and just about even with Pallante and the newcomer Nunez. Seijas and Prater just behind.

Gingery has not been written off, but it is also not realistic to predict he has an MLB career ahead – and that is what the list is about. Each year has decreased his odds, so he gradually slid off our list. Pedigrees don’t help heal repeated physical issues…

P.S. I enjoy the comments. Keep them coming!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, will there be a recap article at some point which will rank the players on Future Value, ceiling, etc like there has been in the past?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, the summary articles will follow the countdown as always. They include the topics you mention. The list of these articles is at the bottom of the Top 50 table of contents article. The link to the table of contents article is at the bottom of every top 50 entry as well as on the site top menu bar via “2021 TOP 50 PROSPECTS”. Also it can be found in the left menu bar under “PROSPECT RANKINGS” > “2021”.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

If Locey can turn into another Lance Lynn I think the Cardinals would be very pleased with that.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hitterish in the box, moving his hands and feet as the pitch approaches to stay loose.

Would this qualify as a shimmy? If so, we know he’ll be on his way out.

Participant

The former Terrebonne Tiger was a second round draft pick in 2013 and has had a long road in the minors. Not quite achieving the success some predicted. IMHO he’s probably reached his AAAA ceiling.

Participant

It’s not just the shimmy, 25. It’s making the pitcher, the entire opposing team, and the fans wait while he steps out of the batter’s box to re-Velcro his gloves after every pitch. His deliberate approach when he steps back into the box and holds his hand out to the umpire to say he’s not quite ready, wasting more time. It’s acting like he’s made a great play in the outfield every time, with his hat flying off exposing his long flowing golden permed locks. Prancing around with a look at me attitude. It’s his interviews calling an interviewer a generation older than he is “man” and assuring him that he’s the starting center fielder for the St. Louis Cardinals, even after a full mega dismal season at the plate. The kid is his own worst enemy. A star in his own mind who thinks he’s a lot better than he really is. We all have a right to our own opinion, and that’s mine. I know you don’t agree, and that’s fine.

Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran, Saw this kid make throws to the wrong base several times in consecutive games. Needs to improve baseball sense to move up.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I had Williams much lower on my list due to concerns about his defense. Sadly, he reminds me of Ozuna in the outfield. Now if the DH was a certainty I would rank him higher because of his bat. If he can hit like he did at Memphis in 2019 that would be a huge asset. He was very patient, took walks, and also hit the ball to all fields, and has huge power potential.

Participant

The last sentence of Brian’s analysis is very insightful:

I just hope the Cardinals are not paralyzed into inaction, here or with any other player, in fear of having another Arozarena embarrassment.

Mozeliak is already stymied by acquiring too many failures (you know the list). Now as Brian points out it may add the word skittish to the list of adjectives attributed to Mo regarding letting players go. (you know that list also). Why some hold him in high esteem for some success in the past beats me. What we have right now can be placed on him… having let some players go that could have moved us to the next tier. The Cards are stuck in neutral in troubled times and unless there will be a few of our key players having career years in ’21 the team will not come close to the NL elite.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There is a logjam in the outfield, and the big complications are DH or no DH?, underachieving performers like O’Neill and Bader, and the last year of the albatross contract of Fowler’s. It appears Carlson and Fowler would be 2 of the starters, unless a trade is made. And again I think deciding on whether to have a DH or not in the NL is very important to the Cardinals potential offense. Assuming a 26 man roster, I would think they carry 4 outfielders.
    If the Cards somehow knew the DH was coming this season retaining Ozuna might have been more of priority. He makes the perfect DH. But then again who could have predicted any events this year?
    Williams, in my opinion, might make a good LH DH platoon.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C27, I didn’t see a decided platoon advantage in Williams’ historical splits.

Ny, time to climb down off that soapbox. The quoted sentence was intended to raise the question of whether or not Williams (the article’s subject) should be traded, not to harp on ownership and the front office.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years