TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 337 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder:

Participant

BW… very impressive and optimistic analysis of Bedell. I’m looking forward to following him in the coming years. It looks like we stole one here…. oh wait, Matt already said that.

I hope that he can forget about his disappointment by being chosen a little farther down than he expected.
    It might just be something that can motivate him going forward.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully, when a pitcher is publicly called out as a ‘back of rotation starter’, he completely ignores it, or it motivates him to get better.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bedell maybe could have that Zac Gallen arc, if all goes well. Sounds like he’s a good young arm that hopefully will pan out better than Griffin Roberts has so far. It will be nice to be able to see all these guys pitching next season if we can get a minor league season going.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is a very narrow pyramid at the top. I guess we could be pollyannas and write that every player is going to be an MLB all-star, but I don’t think readers want that. I believe they are looking for honest assessments. That doesn’t mean we are always proven right, though. As I mentioned in the closing, I am cautious because Bedell has never thrown a full season workload as a starter, even in college. There are perhaps more open questions than usual in his development because it is so early in his career. 2020 is even worse because there was no stage for the draftees to begin play.

On the general point, I hope any player can have enough confidence in his abilities that he is not affected by what others say or write about him. If he needs that as motivation, I am not sure that is a good thing. The potential of becoming a big-leaguer should offer enough motivation in itself, IMO.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Excellent points, Brian. Very few players get very far playing with a vendetta. Tommy Pham stands out there.

To the point of being “only” a back end starter, those guys still become multimillionaires if they make it to free agency, so I don’t consider that much of a slight. We have plenty of those types already in the big leagues, like Gomber, Ponce, Woodford, etc.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting side story. Pham does use anger due to perceived slights as fuel, but still seemingly tries to avoid what others say about him. For example, to the best of my knowledge, he is the only player to have ever blocked me on Twitter, and I have absolutely no idea why. My advice would be for him to worry more about those who are stabbing him, as that has apparently occurred at least twice. 😉

Participant

Paid - Annual

When I hear ‘back of the rotation starter’, I think of a pitcher with an ERA of around 4.00 that is always up and down, or in and out of the rotation, that struggles to have as many wins as losses. Maybe others have a different interpretation of it. OTOH, I think of a top of rotation pitching prospect as one that throws hard with movement, and that has at least one wipeout pitch besides the heat.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian – maybe posters will understand better now why Pham had to go.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting write up on Burleson. When the Cardinals drafted him I was thinking he would be along the lines of a Brandon Moss but it sounds like he is more of a line drive hitter and a better defender than I first imagined.

As for Bedell I hope the projections are true but I also hope his rosy outlook by some isn’t influenced by him being a local product.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Scotty – he was honored as the best pitcher in the Cape Cope League. That’s pretty strong.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

The difference in opinion is Julio’s potential to hit well enough to be an MLB catcher. I have Rodriguez closer to Brian’s estimate, feeling that he will hit higher than the 30 rating that Matt gives him. I can see him being more than an “emergency” backup…. ala Godoy. That 20 “run” rating may be accurate but just guessing he may be a 25/30 guy. With Godoy gone, Rodriguez may take the role of roving catcher in the organization (although language may be an issue). With so many of the prospects getting little time to show progress… and some really none at all… its hard to follow their individual advancement.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have him ranked similar to Brian as well. I hope the Cardinals don’t mess around and lose him the rule 5 draft. He is another guy, like Fagalde, that should have at least been placed on the Memphis roster in an attempt to deter other teams from swooping in.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To clarify, Rodriguez IS on the Memphis roster for Rule 5. There is no messing around one way or another now. The rosters are set.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Our Roster Matrix shows Rodriguez on the Springfield roster. That is where I got that from.

Going back and looking at your article from November 19 I can see where you stated he was added to Memphis. It is just easier to look at the roster matrix than it is to hunt down prior articles. Anyway, since he is on the Memphis roster then that does help keep him in the organization.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I see how that tripped you up, but there is a method to my madness.

The Rule 5 rosters do not reflect real levels of accomplishment, so I don’t change the Roster Matrix to reflect that interim situation. In the most extreme example, shortstop Franklin Soto, who has no experience above the GCL, is temporarily assigned to Memphis. While technically true, it doesn’t reflect reality – either where he finished last season (which is typically what the Matrix shows in the off-season) or even the projection of where he will play in 2021. In my thought process, these numerous Rule 5-driven shifts could cause more confusion than benefit.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Edwin is green as can be but has that big arm that blows smoke. He will need to get more experience and develop his secondary pitches… and his command/control needs working on. Still .5M is a sound gamble on the nineteen year old. The 2024 ETA seeems realistic if he manages to progress through the system. Another gifted prospect to keep a close eye on.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like this area of the countdown right now as it’s mixing the same bunch that the community is voting on at the same time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rookie level – 154 games
    A – level – 3 games
    A level – 88 games
    A+ level – 60 games
    AA level – 68 games
    AAA level – 174 games
    MLB level – 11 games

He blossomed at Memphis in 2019 –

.291/.335/.466/.801
    18 Doubles
    5 triples
    17 home runs

He’s only 24 years old, so he’s just coming into his own.
    Hope he gets a fair chance in 2021.

Participant

We all had high hopes for Sosa in ’16 when was was #9 in our poll. Fans here were talking big things for Edmundo. DeJong passed him by and now sort of blocks the SS spot… but there is room for Sosa as a backup and will likely be the result. Its seems like a decade since he’s been in the organization because it is almost 10 years… he signed in ’12 as an IFA and has been in every nook and cranny of the affiliates as well as Busch. I’d like to interview him because he probably has some great insight on everything Cardinals.

Is it too late for Sosa to explode offensively? Maybe ’21?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 337 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years