TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum TCN’s 2021 Top 50 Prospect List Countdown

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 398 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You wrote “all I know.” I made a joke. Guess it went over your head.

bccran
    Participant

There’s probably a different way to say that. Like “I guess wasn’t clear enough that it was a joke”. Just a difference in style. Some accuse. Others take the blame on themselves.

bccran
    Participant

Here’s question, 25. Whom in the system as far as outfield prospects are you genuinely excited about? That could make a real difference in the next several years. If you know my history of posting on this forum and others, you know that I’m often accused of looking at prospects in a way that’s too positive. Maybe it’s why I look at Garcia as someone who had possibilities.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

What about Evan Sisk for lefty reliever? Former University of Charleston Cougar crafty southpaw.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On the CF concern, I think Justin Toerner is going to be a CF and may surprise some people. Should get a good look at him at Memphis this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, there are lefty relievers in the system, but none were voted into the top 50, including Sisk. That is why the position is open on the All-Prospect Team.

Though unrelated to the site top 50, Sisk was not included in the community vote for the top 75 prospects, either. Perhaps he will emerge in the seasons ahead.

bccran
    Participant

Toerner – The 24 year old former 28th round pick (Cal State Northride Matador) has mainly played RF, but has also had a little time in LF and CF. The 5’10 175 lbs. outfielder probably profiles as AAAA or a 5th major league outfielder. He was doing well at Palm Beach in 2019 and was promoted to Springfield where he had some problems, hitting .211.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There is an entire article about Toerner here, including an in-depth scouting report, and it is free.

TCN 2021 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect #40 – Justin Toerner

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The community at large was higher on Toerner at #32 than either Brian or Matt. I was higher on Toerner than anyone else here, voting him starting at #27. I like the profile as a hard playing, lefty swinging CFer. I just have a hunch that he makes it. Could be wrong.

bccran
    Participant

Yes, Brian, I did read all the write ups in the Countdown because there was just one a day. Great write ups. Thank you.
    Toerner is just another yawner outfielder that we have from AAA/AA on down. Nothing to get excited about. None really projected to become a starter at the major league level except perhaps Fletcher. And maybe an outside shot for Torres if he can turn it around. IMHO we’re weak up and down the system in the outfield. Main hope IMHO (although 25 doesn’t care for it) is that several of Montero, Gorman, Nunez, and Walker will end up out there ala Piscotty.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t see a place to discuss these articles on the members forum, so I will just say I don’t buy the Aussie catcher thing. My sleeper is Lars Nootbaar. How can you not root for a guy with that name.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Didn’t Matt Thompson have late information that would move Zack Thompson ahead of Liberatore in the rankings? Yet Zack Thompson didn’t make the 1rst tier.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bling, everyone can have their own sleeper pick. In fact, that might be a fun thread to refer to after the season…

mud, there was not a feasible way to re-vote partway through the process. But that would have been a good point to make in the story.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So I had a little time early this afternoon and decided to see what the rankings would look like if we did a “traditional” rank where the votes for the site counted 1/3 along with Brian’s and Matt’s. I inserted Carlson at #1 as I suspect he would have been close to if not the unanimous #1, removed the guys that Brian and Matt did not rank (Knizner and Woodford, I believe), and ran up a composite. In cases of ties, just like I did with our site rankings, the highest individual vote broke the tie. There were 5 players that were ranked by all three of us (Brian and Matt did 60 and we did 75), and here’s where the rankings fell:

Rank POS Player
    1 OF Dylan Carlson
    2 3B Nolan Gorman
    3 LHP Matthew Liberatore
    4 C Ivan Herrera
    5 LHP Zack Thompson
    6 3B Jordan Walker
    7 3B Elehuris Montero
    8 SS/P Masyn Winn
    9 RHP Johan Oviedo
    10 RHP Angel Rondon
    11 CF Trejyn Fletcher
    12 RHP Tink Hence
    13 OF Jhon Torres
    14 3B Malcom Nunez
    15 RHP Junior Fernandez
    16 RHP Kodi Whitley
    17 OF Justin Williams
    18 SS Edmundo Sosa
    19 RHP Tony Locey
    20 SS Mateo Gil
    21 RHP Seth Elledge
    22 1B Luken Baker
    23 RHP Griffin Roberts
    24 RHP Ian Bedell
    25 C Julio Rodriguez
    26 OF Alec Burleson
    27 RHP Edwin Nunez
    28 RHP Andre Pallante
    29 OF Patrick Romeri
    30 LHP Levi Prater
    31 RHP Logan Gragg
    32 RHP Alvaro Seijas
    33 RHP Jack Ralston
    34 C Pedro Pages
    35 C Edgardo Rodriguez
    36 CF Justin Toerner
    37 RHP Tommy Parsons
    38 1B Juan Yepez
    39 1B John Nogowski
    40 RHP Ludwin Jimenez
    41 OF LJ Jones IV
    42 RHP Alex FaGalde
    43 SS Delvin Perez
    44 2B Kramer Robertson
    45 1B Chandler Redmond
    46 3B Evan Mendoza
    47 LHP Evan Krucynski
    48 2B Brendan Donovan
    49 OF Conner Capel
    50 RHP Edgar Escobar
    51 OF Lars Nootbar
    52 1B Brady Whalen
    53 CF Darlin Moquete
    54 RHP Francisco Justo
    55 RHP Michael YaSenka
    56 C Jake Burns

If I have some time in the future, I may do a writeup on how we as the site users viewed guys differently than either Brian (the top down view vote) and Matt (the scouting vote). I know some were very much the same and some were quite different.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Thanks 25 for putting that together. I was going to do something similar but I’m missing Brian’s #46 and #50 plus Matt’s #46 and #47 (could you help me out with those). There were some significant differentials on those two lists i.e. Redmond-Seijas-Mendoza-L.Jimenez.

I’ll wait to see what damage the big trade caused.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian had Domingo Robles at 46 and Francisco Justo at 50, while Matt at Darlin Moquete at 46 and Lars Nootbar at 47. Robles did not make the composite because the site rankings did not have him in the top 75.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 398 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.